Restless natives of the Top End

noonamah, Australia

Thanks Rachel, there's lots more where those came from. Just have to dig them all up, so to speak, and crop the images a bit.

This is an interesting one which might 'test' Dave. Grows in sandstone plateau country on the margins of creeks where the water floods out and seeps through the shallow sandy waterlogged soils. A very fine, low plant with spindly inconspicuous stems.

11 March 2009 Showed the photo to one of the botanists today and he recognised it as a Burmannia, only two species, coelestis and juncea but he wasn't sure which. Thought is was probably Burmannia juncea. Quite common around the place, but I've only seen it in one area.

Photo 061

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:14 AM

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
noonamah, Australia

And Silver Cycad, Cycas calcicola, which has a bit of a restricted range. Originally given the name "calcicola" because it was first found on limestone hills, but has since been found is a range of environments including the more acidic soiled sandstone country.

Photo 062

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:15 AM

noonamah, Australia

We have a lot of Grevilleas, from small trees to ground hugging prostrate shrubs. This is one of the ground huggers, Grevillea goodii. It's very widespread throughout tropical woodland and on sandstone plateau.

Photo 063

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:16 AM

noonamah, Australia

Grevillea dryandri, grows in sandstone country and slopes, in sandy well drained soils.

Photo 064

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:16 AM

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

So beautiful and diverse! I love it!

noonamah, Australia

Thanks goofybulb, I'll keep them coming. Was interupted yesterday, the chopper was waiting to take me out on the flora survey. Managed to get some more photos :O)

This is the Grevillea I was about to post. Apparently it's still Grevillea dryandri but grows up on the ridge lines here amongst rocks. A bushy prostrate form with a deeper red colour than the one in the previous photo.

Photo 065

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:17 AM

noonamah, Australia

Some Convolvulaceae now. We have a lot of Ipomoeas and Merremias, a lot that I don't know the species names for.

This one's Ipomoea pes-caprae, grows on the coastline in the sand dunes as a dense ground cover.

Photo 066

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:18 AM

noonamah, Australia

Don't know which one this is, but definitely looks like an Ipomoea. Grows up in the sandstone plateau country amongst grasses.

Photo 067

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:19 AM

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Your pics are beautiful tropic!

noonamah, Australia

Thanks Brical1, I enjoy reeling them out. Here's a few I took yesterday out where I went by chopper. Having the botanists along helped with the ID.

Asteromyrtus magnifica, used to be Melaleuca magnifica. An endemic, growing as a shrub to a couple of metres high, in the sandstone country of Kakadu and Arnhem Land.

Photo 068

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:19 AM

noonamah, Australia

A Calytrix, but although the botanist gave the species name I didn't write it down and have forgotten it. Hopefully I get it again and then edit it in here.

Again, from the sandstone country (that was the focus of our flora survey).

Photo 069

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:20 AM

noonamah, Australia

An unusual flower on an attractive small shrub. I was told it was very rare, Drummondita calida.

Photo 070

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:21 AM

noonamah, Australia

Grevillea angulata is a small shrub also growing in the sandstone country, locally quite common.

Photo 071

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:22 AM

noonamah, Australia

A Sowerbaea, only one listed on the official plant checklist and this one being very common must be it, Sowerbaea alliacea, apparently called Native Chives. I've forgotten the Aboriginal name but they told me kangaroos would dig up the roots and eat them. Knowing the habits of animals, what and where they eat is necessary for successful hunting.

Photo 072

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:22 AM

noonamah, Australia

There's only one Arthrostylis listed in the plantlist, this one again being fairly common must be Arthrostylis aphylla. It's a sedge (Cyperaceae) and grows in damp areas. The stem is flat, like fettucini.

Photo 073

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:30 AM

noonamah, Australia

Got back on the chopper yesterday from a couple of days camping out on the fauna survey. The good thing about those surveys is that you get more time to wander around. The flora surveys keep you at it fairly constantly until you're done. Then you can't go too far in case the chopper turns up to move you on.

With the fauna survey you set up the various types of traps then just check them now and again over a few days. Gives you plenty of time to wander without worrying about getting back at short notice.

Only difficulty was we were doing a 'sand plain', a flat area of alluvial sand making it a featureless landscape. When the cloud cover moves in (it's our wet season) it's impossible to tell direction, it all looks the same, north, south, east or west. Great to get lost in.

But I took a compass as security, and it worked out well. Found a seepage/swamp area and then a creek. So got lots of photos but unfortunately a lot of them were very poor. So there's plants of the drier sand plain, plus plants of the swamps.

The first is a small peaflower from the drier sand plain. Like so many of these photos I have no idea of identity. Had a fauna and not a flora expert with me. Might be able to track down some of the ID's and will edit them in.

Photo 074

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:31 AM

noonamah, Australia

This small blue flower did surprisingly well out in the blistering sun, with roots set in sand. Would probably make a good rockery plant in an open sunny spot.

Photo 075

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:32 AM

noonamah, Australia

This one's up to a metre high and has its flowers in the upper leaf axils. Reminds me a bit of Waltheria.

Photo 076

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:33 AM

noonamah, Australia

Probably a convolvulaceae, but that's as far as my ideas go. A small ground creeper.

Photo 077

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:34 AM

noonamah, Australia

This is quite common everywhere, particularly in sandy areas. Aborigines call it Kanbukbuk, they say it's eaten by emus. I think it's a Gomphrena species.

Photo 078

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:35 AM

noonamah, Australia

We have a lot of Ipomoeas, and a lot of pure white ones. It can get a bit confusing trying to differentiating them from photos. Sometimes it's more the leaf and stem structure which is different.

Photo 079

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:36 AM

noonamah, Australia

Grows to just over a metre high and has a number of stems. I think it's a Pachynema, but could be wrong.

Photo 080

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:37 AM

noonamah, Australia

Called Dikkala by Aborigines, this Cartonema spicata has small tubers along its taproot which can be roasted and eaten.

Photo 081

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:38 AM

noonamah, Australia

No idea what this is. Sends up a stem about half to one metre high with these flowers. As you can see, the flowers appear to come out randomly rather than progressively up the stem.

Photo 082

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:39 AM

noonamah, Australia

A small yellow peaflowered creeper that twines through tall grasses.

Photo 083

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:41 AM

noonamah, Australia

A sprawling herb that grows up to about 30 centimetres high if supported by surrounding grasses, otherwise sprawls along the ground. very common where it grew, the deep blue giving a good effect. I think it's a Commelina.

Photo 084

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 7:42 AM

noonamah, Australia

Quite an unusual dainty herb growing amongst grasses.

Photo 085

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 10:33 AM

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

I'm loving your pics tropic!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks for sharing your enviable job, volunteer or otherwise, it's fascinating.
This plant is from Australia, and seems that it would be from a very arid, rocky place. Was difficult to keep alive, and in the end I failed. Wondering if you come across it in your observations.
hope you had some luck Brical.
Rj

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

I am really enjoying the pictures of the pretty wildflowers in your area, thanks for taking us with you ^_^

Keaau, HI

Nice flora! Many unusual species, not seen in this part of the world!

Rj's plant looks like some type of Hibiscus.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

yes, it is some type of rock rose, mallow hibiscus...

noonamah, Australia

Thanks Brical1, Braveheartsmom and Dave.

Rj, I looked it up, appears to be Alyogyne huegelii. Native to the south west coast of South Australia and southern Western Australia. That's a mediterranean climate - cool wetter winters, hot mostly dry summers. Grows in sandy gravelly soils which drain well. Well, possibly a bit late now, but if you get another one it might help.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay, tis what I suspected, thankyou for checking. It was one of those off the wall plants found in a corner at Home Depot of all places, and only about 6 plants..I kept them dry most of the time, but it still languished..was beautiful for the time I had it.

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

Great pics tropicbreeze!

I think the climbing aroid is actually Epipremnum amplissimum rather than Rhaphidophora australasica.

noonamah, Australia

Thanks Alistair, another name change they've done on me. My texts still have it under the old name Rhaphidophora australasica.

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

They are different plants rather than a name change as such.

R. australasica is restricted to Queensland (and maybe PNG).

They differ in the Rhaphidophora having raised pointed stigmas, leaf sheaths which mostly degrade to fibres, and leaf blades which hang. The Epipremnum has more or less flat, slit-like stigmas (sometimes some round, but not raised), persistent leaf sheaths (sometimes with a papery margin) and leaf blades which are held in a spreading posture. It occurs in NT, Qld, PNG, Solomons and Vanuatu.

In fruit Rhaphidophora has many tiny seeds per fruit, and Epipremnum one or two much larger ones per fruit.

noonamah, Australia

Well Alistair, you've set me off on a great learning adventure all about Epipremnum species (and I still haven't got to the bottom of the Typhonium mystery yet).

Where I checked the difference in naming there wasn't any indication of the reason for the change. So it appears it was originally mis-identified. I guess it didn't make the headlines in the NT News at the time, LOL. But I now find I have Epipremnum pinnatum growing at home.

Always thought it was interesting that E. pinnatum wasn't as adversely affected by the lime in my bore water as were most others. E. amplissimum doesn't like lime at all.

noonamah, Australia

Back again to continue with the natives. My time is a bit in short supply of late. In May I'm doing some trekking in Papua New Guinea so I'm spending time training, as well as all my other activities on top of my full time (mortgage paying) job. But I'm really looking forward to PNG, it's been pretty much a life long dream to go there, surprising thing being that's it's taken me so long to do it. So anyway, that's why there's often time gaps in my posting on this thread.

The next lot of plants come from the wetter edges of the sand plain country. The sand plain acts like a sponge in the wet season. The water emerges in swamps, seepage areas and finally into creeks which drain it away. So while out on the fauna survey last week I wandered a bit and found some of these wetter areas.

This is Banksia dentata, Northern Banksia. Although there are many species of Banksia in Australia, in the north we only have one. Grows as a small tree in wet or swampy areas. Aborigines call it Mankoybuk and used the furry cones to carry fire. The cones burn slowly for a long time.

Photo 086

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 10:34 AM

noonamah, Australia

This flower is very common, growing both in very wet and better drained areas. The flowers in the wetter conditions are usually larger.

(IDed as Xyris complanata.)

Photo 087

This message was edited Apr 9, 2009 6:29 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.