Exhausting...looking at several pics to choose an Iris

Lebanon, OR

One of my favorite Arils Omar's Stitchery

The key is imitate the natural enivorement of where they came from which is the Middle East...She has them in a place with really sharp drainage.

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

Now of the PCN I personally have that are not seedlings that are undivided this is my personal favorite

Raffles

Thumbnail by irisloverdee

SusanLouise:
I go through that ever year when I order from Schreiners. I have about 129 different varieties of the bearded Irises. I order online with the help of their large catalog that I get every year. I go through the catalog and mark what I want. Then go on line to check their photo. I then pause a few days, sometimes longer. Eventually I limit the numbers to what I really want. I wait for their 50% off sale. If you by $80 worth, you pay $40. and get a free bonus which usually is one of their newest variety. I look for the unique, and different from what I have.

Schreiners is located in Oregon. Their rhizomes are huge. I live in Wyoming so mine do not get that large due to a shorter growing season. However, they bloom beautifull for me. I have bought Irises from other companies, such as Cooley's but tend to stick with Schreiner. I sell Irises on Ebay so have to be sure when I buy them that their name is correct. I keep a stock garden in my back yard for what I sell and all are numbered on a chart in Excel on my computer, backed up by a hardcopy

The reason the same Iris looks different in color is due to many reasons. First, the camera setting. Then light intensity, (sun or shade) how color is displayed on your computer screen. Computer screens are like TV's, not all display color the same. Sometime the climate where an Iris it is grown can make a difference to a certain extent. I don't choice only by photo, I read the description offered. When I take closeups of my Irises, it is never in bright sunlight. It bleaches color. An overcast day, or in the shade, gives more saturated color. I also use a white photographer's umbrella to shade plants if there is no shade or overcast when a new Iris is blooming.

dmac085:
You are correct that Irises growing in different parts of the country produces different size rhizomes. It depends on how long the season is. Here in Wyoming, our growing season is shorter than other parts of the country. My Irises evenually produce large rhizomes but by that time, it is too late to divide them. Deadline in WY is early September so they will have time to get established before winter. Further west, like Oregon etc. Iris rhizomes grow much larger. Ofcourse, size of rhizomes also depends on variety.

Caption: A section of my Irises growing in my front yard along the sidewalk. Neighbors love to see them bloom, and they welcome me home. When they are done blooming, my everblooming roses are large enough to bloom. These Irises produce my stock plants when crowded enough to divide.

I think they are one of my addictions. Others are Sempervivums and Sedums

Thumbnail by

Here is one of my favorites named 'Batik'

Thumbnail by

And 'Brown Lasso'

Thumbnail by
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think a lot of it is just how the picture is taken. Some people are great photographers, some are not, even some professional growers don't take the best pictures. If I see one I like I get it, even if another picture does not depict it as well. I'm never disappointed.

Schreiners probably has a professional photographer to take pictures, or they have someone really skilled at it. But you will still get the same iris if you order it from many of the iris growers. On here, LaurieF prides herself in her knowledge of irises. Irisloverdee makes sure hers are labeled correcltly. Superstition is known for it's accuracy. I've only ever had one wrong from over 200 from BlueJ. And there's many more. If you check the Garden Watchdog, you will k now who to stay away from as far as accuracy.

But I say if you like one picture, buy it. Chances are you won't be disappointed, and if you are, well there's always trading.

Prety arilbred, Dee!.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And yes, Susan Louise, you're a real member of the forum, LOL. Not just for looking through all 3000 of Blue J's photos. Although that is a feat!

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

I love all irises, got my first siberian last fall. I have all sizes of bearded one, some SPEC-X, and Louisiana iris. I like the pictures of the PCNs but have never seen a live one, dont' think they will grow here. One of my neightbors has Japanese, haven't tried those yet, just admire hers. Amen to the beauty of the arilbred.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Consider trying a Japanese Gabriel25. They do well in your area.

What species Xs do you have? They are some of my favorites.

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

I only have a few so far but Wichita Farewell, i lactea; Roy Davidson; Holden Clough; i pallida Verigata; i pallida Argentea, and a few more that I failed to write down the names, imagine that! me, forgetful. Comes with age. Have to take the photos to the next club meeting and figure it out from there. Think I know who I got them from.

Have been looking at more, they are planted in with the LAs and seem to like it there. Bearded did not, too wet for them. But had a few old faithfuls that bloomed anyway.

Thumbnail by Gabriel25
Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

That is Holden Clough and this is a clump photo, it would bloom and then a few weeks later bloom again and then again. Have seen lots of photos of SPEC-X and a lot I want think they are interesting. I also love bearded historics want more of them. I'm just addicted but not a harmful one except to pocketbook.

When we had the ice storm in Dec. 07, a lot of my stuff was destroyed. Iris beds were hit by falling tree limbs, huge ones and front end loaders that were brought in to clean up took everything in their path. I never found some of my plants and tags. Out of the 37 trees on my 1/2 acre, I lost 22 of them. I still have some that have not recovered, and may have to be taken down, so will just plant more iris. Had one huge branch come down in front yard and barely put a tear in one of the window screens. Branches fell all around my van but didn't touch it. My son and wife lost most of their huge beautiful magnolia tree and were without electricity for a couple of weeks. But we were forunate.
rose

Thumbnail by Gabriel25
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Hi BIF'S. Spent the evening going through the last of Blue J's and have a huge list. Their new intros are beautiful. I too wait a day or so and cut down the list before ordering. Saves on the old checkbook and I also want to get some from Ginny Spoon and Mid America and Keppel and and and and, LOL Still have a few from my 1st list that appear to be sold out where I have looked so far Boo Hoo.
Nice JI's on here. Can't wait to try them this year.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Gabriel25, I've never heard of Witchita Farewell. What kind of species is that, do you know?

I love Holden Clough.

Have you seen this thread? Some beardless species x in here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/850508/

Glad to see you're back with the BIFs rebloomnut.

Cherryvale, KS

Okay, Gabriel 125,I was told we couldn't grow Japanese here!! I have tons of bearded and I know people in the Tulsa area that have bunches of bearded!!LOL What is the true story???? Oh, by the way HAPPY Friday BIFs!!! I have a dutch type dwarf iris in bloom today!! I'll take a picture later and post on what's in bloom.

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

James & Lucy Fry by James Waddick, R. 1995) SPEC (lactea), 22" (56 cm), M
S. clear medium violet blue; style arms and F. veined violet blue over white. I. lactea X I. lactea. Adamgrove 1997 Directly from AIS Iris Register, on line. I received it from the TAIS club president.

Well if I grow bearded and my neightbor grows Japanese...mmmm. We had several club members with big gardens but some have moved, a bunch of us spent several days at those gardens digging before the houses were sold. But others have quite a few.

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

It is good to be back, have had health issues, not solved, but better. And I can waste all day talking about and reading about irises.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Nicky,
It looks like you have some more iris getting ready to bloom as well. I can see buds in the picture. Are they dutch or bearded? I am so jealous.

Cherryvale, KS

Happy Saturday BIF's!!! Pajar, The picture is of SDB from last year. I haven't got off my lazy ----, to go out and take the picture!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Do you have buds already this year? Or have you not looked yet. It is way too early here.

Lebanon, OR

Here in zone 7a-b I have blooms on the reticulatas and nothing else but the medians start blooming here mid to late April

D

South Hamilton, MA

We are 6a only because we are closer to the ocean, west of Boston is zone 5. Actually, our spring can start later as cool breezes hold it back & the same plants to the west often flower a week earlier than here. The season usually seems to 'catch up with itself' for want of a better term & all comes together in the end. 2" more of snow yesterday night & rain and snow predicted for tomorrow. Snowdrop & daffodil foliage is covered again.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I have a few JI's I want to get rid of, I believe one is Anne Chowing, ANYONE???

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Anne Chowning is n LA iris -- not a JI. I already have it or would take it off your hands -- it is growing in Mississippi -- a true bright red.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

HA HA,you are right, I forgot. Someone has already asked to have them, I will let them know.

Thank You

Raleigh, NC

just now saw this, haven't read it all, but your "problem", SL, is exactly why I started going on tours of iris gardens.

here's my Alizes, and it was hybridized by Cayeax, who is French, so it's an import to this country. mine is planted at a point in the bed that gets less sunlight, so it is slightly lighter blue. It is a standout.

Thumbnail by bonjon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.