Exhausting...looking at several pics to choose an Iris

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

IrisMA,

Thanks for the suggestion...but I will still be looking for the "Lincoln" one. I have no interest in starting my own club :)
It almost feels as if it's a secret club only "certain" people can be a part of...I keep feeling I'm being diverted in another direction than to the local club that already exists...
It'll be interesting what I find out. LOL
Hmmmm...DH knows some people at UNL so he's going to check into it for me...along with finding out about a certain dinner/plants event that also happens at UNL every Spring...can't wait to get the info on that...I just wrote to an Admin advisor about that just yesterday...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I doubt that the Lincoln Iris Club is exclusive -- more likely not too well organized or short on volunteers. I have never heard of a snooty iris club. All the ones I know are trying to get as many members as possible because the number of AIS members nationally is declining a bit. The problem is there are a lot of older people in the AIS and eventually they run out of energy. I am 64 and am one of the young members in my group. You may find the same in Lincoln.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Of course it's only for "certain" people ~ the special ones!

To be honest, I'm one of those members that never goes to the monthly meetings. (my bad) I'm much better about going to lily society meetings and working the sales even though they're in Des Moines. Go figure..... must be those wild and crazy Iowa gals.
Yes paja, you're correct about the state of societies in general. Of our lily society members, I'm believe I'm the second youngest at age 46.

Found my newsletter ~ the next meeting is Feb. 26.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 4:59 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

paja,

Bless your heart, you're probably right...but being 49 with a body that feels like it's 80...I should fit right in...hehehe

I just don't think it makes much sense for me to go 65 miles to Omaha to ba a part of an Iris society club. I'll still contact Robin though...we'll see.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hopefully Tricia (daltri) will be along to give you specifics. She's the treasurer for our LIS. Dues are a whopping 6 bucks. ;)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Susan,
If Daltri is the president of the Lincoln Iris Society, just send her a dmail and tell her you would like to attend a meeting and possibly join. Daltri is a lovely lady and would definitely help you.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Susan, I've found a great way to make new friends is to put s little ad in the local Pennysaver, or whatever----come help divide irises, and take the excess home.

Lebanon, OR

Yup, too bad there is no one out here that will do that...can you believe it, they will come if I have them dug, cleaned, divided and labeled.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wish I lived closer, Dee. As I'm sure a lot of us do. Hard to believe isn't it?

Lebanon, OR

Yes it is. We could give away all our iris for free if WE DID all the work. Had two gals call and ask if they could come and get all my extra iris, I said I could give them alot if they wanted to come out and help with all the work, never ever heard from them again....

When I was younger I would have JUMPED and been there before they could have finished the sentence to help...

D

There are several of Joe Pye Weed I want,

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Me too. Which ones do you like? I'm particularly fond of At The Crossroads, Cape Cod Boys, and Dance Party, and love the clump shot of Trip To Paris. They are some fantastic hybridizers, aren't they?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Dee, I would love to come and help you divide iris. Let's see, you do that in August? And guess what, I have a truck! I could keep some and give the rest to my AIS group.
Hmmmmm.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I would definately come and help if I was closer, I love getting my hands dirty.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, oh, Dee, we started something now. When you see them all rolling in......... Forget hiring anyone this year, the DG group will make quick work of your dividing.

And after you do Dees, the best time to divide beardless is around the middle of September guys, c'mon to NY.

Lebanon, OR

Well guys I start the digging of the 1 1/2 acres right after the last order goes out the door usally the last week of August and continue until the last one is planted back the end of Sept...I will have surgery Oct 5th I think is the date...Then Polly could always use help and that would be a great trip...2 months of playing and seeing the country.

Sibs in love with Bonnie Kate, Jerry Murphy, On her Toes, Pretty Polly and Sugar Rush

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Watch out Dee, I just might do it. Sounds like great fun.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Aww, Betty. Too bad you can't grow sibs, JIs and the other water irises. I feel neglected.

What is your surgery Dee? If it's not private.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I would love to grow sibs and JI's they are so beautiful. Probably I could if I would start a pond and completely replace the soil with something more acid. But it would be a constant hassle. I do have friends here who are attempting to do it though. If it works for them, maybe I will try it. I do know a couple of people here who have successfully grown Caeser's Brother and Coronation Anthem, but our shows never have any more than those two.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And then you could come help me divide :)

Usually sibs will grow if daylilies will. You only have to keep thenmnoist for the fall when you plant them. That may be impossible for you to do, I don't know. But they will grow in neutral soil.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I think I might be able to grow Sibs, but I will have to find a place near a water faucet so I can easily water them -- or near a rain barrel. My soil is close to neutral, so that shouldn't be a problem. One of my biggest problems, though is keeping things that like to be wet, wet.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, and yes, Polly, I would love coming to help you divide!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Betty,

Let me remind you that arilbreds are not supposed to grow here
LOL

I would think that ANY sib could grow there and eventually adapt to your lack of water.

Do you use paper of plastic. The environmentalist do not want plastic used but boy are they great for gardening. Next time you go shopping tell them plastic. Dig a hole (about 2' deep) mix local soil with a "LITTLE" clay and some old leaves Put plastic bas at bottom of hole up sides about 4" fill in with mix and plant JI, Versicolor, LA, Sibs you choose. Those that survive keep those that do not replace.

:)
Anita

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good idea Anita. I will have to try that. I have seen some Sibs growing here, but the ones II planted didn't. But at the time, I didn't know some of the requirements. I will try again. Glad to have a new way to recycle all those plastic bags.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone, can I make a suggestion? I see a lot of data here, but no photos. Put a pic of your Iris with every blog, then we all can see the flowers in all their beauty.

Donna

Taco Supreme

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Lebanon, OR

Now to tease and tickle you all

CA/PCN
Pacific Coast Natives

Big Wheel

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Stunning!

South Hamilton, MA

Pictures are great if you can get them to work--I don't seem to be able to do so.

Thumbnail by irisMA
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How hardy are the Pacific Coast irises, Dee? That is lovely. Is there any breeding going on to make hardier cultivars?

Lebanon, OR

Polly

To be honest, sometimes they work sometimes they do not...one year I bought 50 we divided equally between the two of us. I have 3 out of that...BUT on behalf of them...ONCE they start to grow they do very very well. I divided I think 8 different ones and put them in one gallon pots and have only lost about 5 total and have about 200-300 potted.

I think the big thing with them is when you receive them...

Polly email off line OK

D

South Hamilton, MA

There was some work in Maine, but the winter of 2003-04 destroyed them & the program was not resumed. After all the somewhat milder climate is their home territory.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Irisloverdee, That is a neat one. Where did you get it?

IrisMA, That came out just fine, beautiful flowers.

Sweet Ballerina

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Arilbred (OGB-) seedling here in Maryland
Where I truely believe that most irises can grow anywhere as long as there can be a sub-climate developed.

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

And dispite what Dee says (ok me too) I am trying with Japanese. I know they grow here but they hate me. This is Raspberry Glow and ok it blooms short but it did bloom.

Now to build on this one success.
LOL

Thumbnail by avmoran
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

'Sweet Ballerina' is so happy looking! I love 'Raspberry Glow' as well, Anita, but you know I'm partial to the JI's. Good luck with them!

South Hamilton, MA

HJMom thank you for the comment that the picture printed. According to my computer the file could not be found. The plant is SDB ReddySet/

Cherryvale, KS

I bought several siberians last year!! I'm hoping! Gumby SDB Sutton 99

This message was edited Feb 19, 2009 4:46 PM

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Lebanon, OR

HJMom
I have it here on the farm in one gallon pots for wholesale and they are doing wonderfully.

OK Anita I expect more and bigger JI out of you from here on out, you did one so there is another one for sure LOL

Is that your seedling Anita?

D

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Lurking on your thread. All your iris are beautiful and all your comments interesting. I'm from the PNW forum. The Arilbred iris are very nice, I've never seen them before.

Lebanon, OR

They grow here in the PNW as long as I follow what Anita has taught me on growing them...

As they bloom I will post pictures.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Raspberry Glow is beautiful, Anita.

Maybe we could get Anita to tell us how she grows the arilbreds so successfully. They are lovely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.