Exhausting...looking at several pics to choose an Iris

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello All :)

I'm doing something ya'll have done a zillion times...
Thank goodness I've been doing my "homework"...so to speak. There are hundreds of Irises that upon the initial pic I see, they are awesome! Then when I see a 2nd or 3rd pic of the same one, I'm usually not interested anymore...which is good to find out now rather than finding out later...over a year if it doesn't bloom before the end of the year, that I'm disappointed.
Now I realize that there are so many variables when it comes to photos of anything...never mind just flowers...ie., lighting/sun/shade, camera, focus, etc...but even so, the huge differences in one particular plant/Iris can be quite shocking...
One example of the extremes I've seen is of 'Alizes'...hybirdized by Schreiner's...and also sold at Blue J Iris. When I saw it at Schreiner's...my jaw was on the floor...I needed a chin strap!!!
http://www.schreinersgardens.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SIGO&Product_Code=ALIZ&Category_Code=TBI
Then when I saw it at Blue J Iris and here at DG's plant file, the wind was knocked out of my sail...
So I go from...I gotta have it...to...naw, don't want it...so similar to so many I've seen already and I'm a newbie! LOL
The "hunting" for Irises is fun...but also very exhausting...
I actually looked at all 3,000+ at Blue J Iris...
So am I now a real mamber of this forum yet?...Did I pass an initiation? hehehe

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 9:34 PM

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 9:39 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I bought my first freshly dug iris from a place called Wild Iris Rows and even though the rhizomes were small (he sent extras when they were a bit small) they bloomed beautifully the first season even when I planted in mid Dec!

You'll most likely notice a difference in the rhizomes size based on what area of the country they are from. Seems like some of the East coast iris are a bit smaller and the West coast iris can be pretty big. Both seem to do the same thing for me:)

My favorite two I've grown so far are Earthborn...

Thumbnail by dmac085
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

dmac085,
Earthborn is GORGEOUS!!!
Sherry

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

And Ascent of Angels.

Thumbnail by dmac085
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello DMac,

Lovely pics :)
Well, the rhyzone size really doesn't concern me too much...I was talking about the huge colorization difference between pics of the same Iris...
I pretty much know a nice size rhizones and blubs when I see one :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Sorry, I was just rambling:lol:

The differences in the photos from site to site and even among the photos posted here can be deceiving. I noticed my best photos were taken in the early morning before the sun got too strong. I've notice some really bad photos scattered through some iris sites that really make me think twice about ordering that one:lol:

Thanks Sherry:)
I saw Earthborn in a catalog back in the mid 80's or so and fell in love but I didn't buy it until 2007--well worth the wait:)

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 11:03 PM

Cherryvale, KS

Morning Twilight This is an example of an iris that I wouldn't give a second look!! Keith sent it to me as a bonus. It is one of my favorite iris!!LOL Can't always tell from pictures.

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Banshee My first purchase: A lady at work belonged to the local club, I gave her $25. Told her I preferred 2-color!!LOL At first, I didn't even care about names!! Lucky for me she included some good iris. And a IRIS NUT was born!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
South Hamilton, MA

If you are using film, color can change, also soil makes a difference. We don't grow the rhizomes as large as in the west--difference in growth speed as well. Rick Tasco in CA told me that iris can be lined in March for the first time & bloom by Oct. We were discussing seedlings. First bloom is after a year or two here.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

If you see one that knocks your socks off it usually will once you get it and it blooms for you. Sometimes you will see a difference in the photos and it can be the camara/light/weather and poss. even that growing conditions or diifferent part of the country. With any plant there can be variables but after they are well established they should be quite alike. There is always that one though that never is what you had in mind. Did'nt help much did I. Sorry.

Lebanon, OR

When I do pictures I take about 20-30 different ones of the same iris, here, MA, KK, Sch, and Cooleys if we all have them,,,hopefully not too far apart in time but if Barry Blyth is at KK then I know it will be longer because Barry and I will have to talk about the crosses there and in my garden as well.

Also your camera has alot to do with it even diginal

PH, the amount of fertilizer, water etc can and does change the colorations this is way I try to take so many iris pictures.

Confused, I was.

D

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

I planted Earthborn last fall, have seen it at several of our shows, couldn't resist buying it. Of course, there are a lot more I couldn't resist buying either. An across the street neighbor wanted some, so I planted some in her yard. It's amazing that the same ones that I have in my yard and the starts from those that I planted in her yard, look different, by the way, they are planted in boxes, same soil mixes as mine. But the same variety will bloom at different times, or some will bloom in my yard and not in hers, & vise versa.
Tricky little devils. I've taken a lot of pictures at all times of the day. Had to buy a new computer with bigger hard drive. By the way, Morning Twilight is georgous!

rose

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Susan
now remember this is just my Opinion

If youboy all the new intro from everyone this year you won't have to choose.

less stress on the brain
:)
A

Lebanon, OR

Well you have a point...Anita

D

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

I can't tell you how many times I've run into the same problem, Susan. I grow even more daylilies then I do irises, and I'm forever looking at many different pictures of the same plant, if I am interested in adding it to my garden.

When I take pictures of my irises and daylilies, I try to look at the pictures carefully, and I only keep and post ones that I'm sure look like what my eye sees. Everyone here who mentioned that plants can look different from yard to yard, from camera to camera, and from time of day to time of year are exactly right. It makes it hard, sometimes, to narrow down ones that you want to buy.

On the plus side, though, I always say that I've never seen an iris that I didn't like!

Linda

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Dmac085 those are absolutely beatiful iris.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I can tell you, Susan, it doesn't get any better after a few years of spending all your savings on iris -- you still see new ones that you have to have whether you have enough money or space or not. I understand completely how the bankers got in this mess -- well, I really do need to redecorate my office, and my jet is way too slow, must have an up to date one .... etc. etc.
Be thankful, you are just splurging on iris!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello All :)

I appreciate everyone's input :)
I still find myself playing "inee, meenee, minee, moe with ones that look so much alike...it's making me kooky!

Here are 2 I'm trying to choose one of...and I can't seem to make a decision other than basing it on that one of them got a couple of awards. Look at these 2 pics...

This is of "Aplomb"...(received awards)...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/107451/

And this is of "Oriental Design"...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/207479/

I really believe I have to toss a coin in the air...
Some might say, well, get both. I just can't see the point of getting 2 that look so similar.
My head hurts...LOL

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You know, I would have a hard time with that same decision. I guess I would probably go with Aplomb because more people have commented favorably on it, but Margie's comment on Oriental Design is really worth something, too, because she is an expert grower and hybridizer. You may end up having to flip a coin.
Just remember, either one is probably a fabulous iris. Is there a price difference? Could you choose the one with the lowest price?
By the way, I am going through a similar process right now over some arilbred iris. As long as there are limits of space and pocketbook you will probably have to do this. Realize some of the people on this forum have over 1,000 iris. They were the ones who got both!

This message was edited Feb 13, 2009 11:23 PM

Lebanon, OR

Oriental Design has colors in there that do not photo well for me...Between the two I would go with OD unless the other is not as expensive. Also if you plan on hybridizing the OD throws some very nice irie, do not know about aplomb as never used it to hybridize with.

D

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello pajar :)

What's a "arilbred" Iris?

Goodness, I can't imagine having that many Iris! I can't even see it in my head! I also can't imagine having to divide that many plants either...even if it's just 200 a year to dig up and divide out of 1,000 every year...yikes! That's definately a labor of love...
I may have as many as 20 by the end of the year. I'll leave a little room for a few I'll hybridize...but any more and we'd need bigger acreage...lol
I really can't expand much more than one more garden on our 1/5 acre...and keep up with tending to them too. Last year it was quite exhausting building 3 gardens. This year I'm adding a 4th...for mainly host plants for butterflies. I'll be putting the approx 20 Irises in the same garden too. That's why I'm trying to chose wisely...with a couple of each color/scheme.
And when it's time to divide them I'll probably donate them to our local city parks/gardens.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

This is an Arilbred

Oh and Betty same advice
I just eliminated those that are OGB-
Man am I in Sooooo much trouble
LOL
A

Thumbnail by avmoran
Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Susan Louise, An Arilbred is native to the middle East, but was brought here and crossed with Bearded Iris, some can grow them here, for example Arizona, New Mexico, true Arils will grow well there, after all they love desert conditions, but when they are crossed with Bearded Iris, they become hardier and cans survive in other zones. They classify them in different species, ex: RB OGB, they may have a plus or minus, depending on how much bearded iris they have in them. I'd spell the abreviations out for you, but wow are they big words. You can spot an Arilbred a mile away, most have a dark central spot on the falls, closed standards and sometimes curled falls. Although this one really does not have a dark central area.

Genetic Artist

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Babylonian Fires

Thumbnail by 1913cat
South Hamilton, MA

more people seem to grow Aplomb. In your space I would look & learn before hybridizing. Am I right that NE has more alkiline soil? So arilbred could do well, however they are more difficult to grow, so I would practice for a couple of yrs on TBs first. Try & get in touch with the Lincoln Iris Society for local conditions. I'm sure that they would welcome guests at their meetings. A close look at both pictures seems to show that OD has darker purple shadings--so they are similiar but not alike. If you want both, don't plant them right next to each other, but do what seems best for your garden color scheme.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

SusanLouise I grew Aplomb but gave it away when we built on and had to move everything. It was a good grower and the color in the photo does not do it justice even though it is a nice photo.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Why do people have over 1000 irises? Because they love them. Some of them sell them, but a lot of them just do it for their own enjoyment. Arilbreds are more exotic in appearance than regular iris and aren't as difficult to grow as they are cracked up to be. I was totally intimidated when I started off on arilbreds. Now I just buy what I like and planted it and I lose very few. The photos above are typical and here is another of Oyez, the one that started me and others off on arilbreds.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 9:24 AM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The soil here in Nebraska is pretty nice ~ I've not amended my soil at all and irises grow very well. Unless you live in a newer neighborhood where the developers steal your top soil, leaving you with nothing but clay. My only problem is with iris borers.

Here is a list of Nebraska growers / vendors http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/advanced.php?search_text=&cat%5B158%5D=15&cat%5B157%5D=&state=ne&country=XX&sorter=company_name&submit=Search Plus there is Newburn's here in town for historical and species. Sunwest Farms on N. 84th is fun to walk during bloom and they will dig for you on the spot.

We do have the Lincoln Iris Society but it has no web site. Can't put my hands on the latest newletter or I'd tell you when the next meeting is.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello Ladies :)

Bless your hearts for all the great info and pics! I'm becoming a sponge and soaking it all in...

paja,

I understand about having/collecting/growing 1,000+ varieties of Irises...it's just very hard to visualize that many in one's garden without a huge plot of land...or a farm. I hope to be able to visit one this year. I see that there are several within about a 50 mile radius of me and I plan on visiting a few this Spring/Summer.

Moby,

The Lincoln Iris Society must be some "Secret Order"...LOL...with no web or info available...
I'll be asking around for the individuals I need to speak with to join. I'm sure they would welcome new members with open arms...can't wait!!! :)

Lebanon, OR

http://www.irises.org/ais621.htm

Will take you to the iris clubs in your region and most have emails for the contact person so you can see the next meeting.

D

South Hamilton, MA

On the list of vendors please see that Maple Tree farm is investigated. the owner, Larry Harder died several yrs. ago & unless someone has taken over, it is no longer there.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the link Dee ~ I had it in my post at one point but must have erased it. I'd really like to go see this one in Omaha http://irises.homestead.com/

Lebanon, OR

You would always be welcome at Robin's garden as long as you go on a weekend and she prefers calls.

She is a super sweet lady!

Right now she is spoiling herself and her girls with a trip to Mexico...fun in the sun.

She will be in OR in March and then sometime in May...

D

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

D,

Thanks for all the links for the societies around here. I'll look into the Omaha one...but I'm still going to find the Lincoln "Chapter" too. DH knows of a few people he can ask and I've done some major business with the local nurseries that can help me too...so it won't be difficult to locate them :)
I have a few Irises I plan to order from Robin :)
Thanks for all the great info D...appreciate all your help! :)
BTW, I'm sending my check for my Irises I ordered from you by the end of next week :)

Iris MA,

I just sent the info to DG Admin about "Maple Tree Gardens" which was located in Ponca, Nebraska. I just gave the phone # a call and the # has been disconnected...so I forwarded that information on to them as well so they can update their system...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You know most of us don't have as much land as we would like for irises. We just get creative. I know a lady who has 1 acre and has a house, a guest house and over 1000 irises on that acre. I have 1/2 acre but most of it is rock and not good for irises. But I am learning to be creative.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

paja,

Well, as I mentioned above in one of my posts, if one has that many irises, and having to divide an average of 200+ of 1,000 every year (considering what I've read that it's good to divide Irises every 3-5 years), I personally could not physically dig/divide that many every year. I didn't want to have to bring it up...but I have much less lung capacity than most...I'm a 4 year lung cancer survivor. Although my DH could help me, gardening is my hobby, not his...
Besides, I get much joy out of doing all of the gardening myself...just at a much slower pace than others :)

South Hamilton, MA

You don't have to divide every clump each time, just the ones which need it.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

IrisMA,

I figured that...I'm certainly not new to dividing bulbs/plants! :)
Since I figured 1 of 5 would need it yearly (on average) if one has 1,000+...that's why I said about 200 :)
Even still, if it's even 1/2 of that...100 each year...that's still way to many for me to divide each year...

BTW, I just got a D-mail back from Admin saying they have "closed" the vender :)

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 4:07 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Susan,
I had no idea! And I didn't intend to urge you to have 1000 irises either. I don't have 1000 irises and don't know where I would put them if I did, but I am getting close to 250 irises and am indeed struggling to find places to plant them.
I just wanted you to see how addicted to iris some of us are. The "iris virus" they call it. But nothing says you have to be as crazy as we are. I personally am happy for you to have just exactly the number you want. But, I can also see why each individual iris's selection is so important to you. If you can have only 20, I see why you want to make each one count.
But the truth is that after you weed out the ones which are known to be poor performers -- a very small percentage of irises -- you will probably end up having to make your decision, not through facts but through intuition -- which one appeals to you most. After that, all you can do is flip a coin and realize that you will be eternally saying to yourself, darn, I should have bought that one. But the truth is there are no right answers.
And by the way, it isn't really all that hard to divide irises. The hard part is building the beds.
Which ever iris you pick will be the right one.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 3:24 PM

South Hamilton, MA

Tell the local garden club to start a junior one--or else teach the garden clubbers so they can get hooked. Then have them start a new iris group--iris addiction is very subversive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.