Good office plant suggestions?

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

What are some good plants for an office environment that will only receive flourescent light? Have a co-worker who wants some plants for her desk. Thanks for any help!

North Augusta, ON

These ones would do well:
Pothos
Aglaonema
Dracaena
ZZ Plant
Parlor Palm.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Another good one is sansevieria (mother-in-law's tongue). I had one that survived in a dark corner for several years. However, I ended up killing it by overwatering.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes, sansevierias are very good (I love them in any situation!).

I'd also recommend

Anthurium
Peace lily
Christmas or Easter cactus
ZZ plant

Danville, IN

A good thing to remember is low light reduces growth and the need for fertilizer, which is fine in most situations. Overwatering, like shebs45 found out, is a big danger. Water only when really dry. Fertilizer maybe once a year in the spring with a time-release fertilizer (like Osmocote) at about half the recommended rate. My top three choices would be Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen), pothos (so many varieties to choose... from gold to variegated to green), and ZZ plant (indestructible).

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Now why didn't peace lily come to mind right away?? (smacking forhead)

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

We have a large peace lily in my office. I've only been there over a year and I'm sure it's much older than that. it was neglected quite poorly - I'd always come in on Monday to find it drooping pathetically. Recently I took it home, cleared away all the dead growth and repotted it. Now it's flowering :)

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Great rescue!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Also the true Shiffalera "Amate". This is the one with the big leaves as vs, The Arboricola one with the small leaf-rosettes.

The leaves on the "Amate" are so shiny and it thrives in an office environment.
Might be a bit hard to find......

Any of the Aeglonemas (Chinese Evergreens) are awesome lower-light plants.

Then there are the Dracenas--Marginatas, the "Jeanette Craig", Corn Plants, and some Palms--just be careful with the palms. Sometimes the most popular ones (like the Majesty Palm) are the most temperamental! Try a Robelini--if you have good light.

Gita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.