kalanchoe care

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

The nice folks over in the ID forum helped me figure out that I have a kalanchoe (link to thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/949406/) but the consensus seems to be that it is an unhealthy one. So now I need to know what I can do to make it better. Should I prune it? I know it needs to be repotted; it's still in its original plastic pot (that's how my friend gave it to me). I don't know if I should wait until it's spring here in Chicago though, which could be another 8 weeks, grr. TIA!

Anchorage, AK

Hi! I see you moved your Kalachoe over here! LOL! I checked because I want one and am curious about their care as well (I don't have one yet but I want one). BTW you can't wear out your welcome here! This is what this site is all about. :)

What I have seen for filling in Kalachoe is to pinch tips to encourage it to send out side branches. Since yours is a thin little guy you might start slowly and cut back one branch to above the last set of leaves and see what it does. I'm not sure if you can cut these back farther than a set of leaves and have the stem survive.

You could also try rooting your cutting by putting it in the soil and keeping it moist around the cutting. That would help fill out the plant. If you are nervous about giving your other plant root rot you could start the cuttings in a separate pot and add them in later.

I am a big fan of Superthrive for stressed plants, it really seems to work. You may be able to find it at a local nursery or garden center. We have it at Fred Meyer where I am. Fertilizer may be to much for your plant right now.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Also ask in the Cacti and Succulents forum!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Just thought I would post a new picture of the kalanchoe that you all helped me rescue. It appears to be doing great!

Thumbnail by jcoakley
Anchorage, AK

Looking healthy. Congratulations! Thanks for posting a follow up :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.