strawberry tree

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Who has grown this down south? I hear it likes warm dry summers but I am wondering if they mean "TEXAS" warm dry summers. It can get pretty brutal down here.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/55975/

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think it means California dry summers (which can be just as brutal--but zero humidity and zero rainfall from April until October).
Debbie

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I planted this one maybe 3 years ago. It has survived the heat and humidity of Alabama, plus the drought of 2007 with several consecutive days over 100 degrees with no sign of problems. I was so impressed that I planted 2 more last year and they all are doing fine. It does receive afternoon shade from a nearby maple.

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks so much. I think I will give it day sun and shade only at the hottest times. Have you had any fruit yet? Does it taste bland?

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

No fruit...but flowers last October, not on the tree pictured but on a smaller and younger tree planted about a year ago. Aren't they pretty?

I am told the fruit is mealy tasting but am looking forward to it anyway...It is so colorful in the pictures.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I hear you have to put powdered sugar on them to make them acceptable. I definitely am not looking for something yummy from these trees. The looks are enough. By the way, strawberrys are 1.99 a pound right now. I am going to eat two pounds today, I just know it.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

The only "strawberries" I have had luck with are the ones from my Kousa dogwood...also not very tasty! But pretty.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I had looked at that before. How much fruit does the dogwood produce? Is it sparce, medium or "all you can eat"? Which variety?

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Should eventually be plentiful. Only has had flowers for two summers. Here is 2007:

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Fruits in September 2007:

(Cornus kousa 'summer stars')
I have uploaded some of these to plantfiles.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The dogwood is tempting but I dont think it could take it here. Too much heat and alkaline soil. Apparently the seed is poisonous but that is the case on so many other common fruit. Good looking plant.

Greensburg, PA

I love the taste of my C. kousa 'Big Apple' - perhaps it is the variety that doesn't taste so good?

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I have a "Big Apple" also...has not bloomed yet...am looking forward to fruit some day! I thought it was just ornamental though. I never expected to eat the fruit of my strawberry tree or dogwood, except just to taste. They are so beautiful to look at, that's the main reason I planted them.

The strawberry tree's evergreen leaves gave me something nice to look at in winter, another bonus. I have been delighted that it has been so carefree and resilient.

Greensburg, PA

The outer skin is tough and not edible. Close to the skin and in poorer fruits, there is a grit that seems to be less in larger fruits that get a chance to fully grow and ripen. The inner pulp has a nice aromatic and sweet taste, but the best is a clear gel that surrounds the hard seeds. The bigger the fruit, the more seeds but the more pulp and gel. My 'Big Apple' is still relatively small, but each year so far has seen bigger fruits with as many as 8 seeds in some of the fruits last year. Passiflora, I would not ever consider growing one without tasting the fruit! Don't tell the kids to try it though, as the seeds are very hard and will break teeth if you are not cautious . This one is not for chewing. It

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Will definitely try it, when it comes!

As there are no buds on it now, I doubt I will see any this year. But all good things come to those who wait, and I don't plan to leave this residence so I expect to enjoy the experience eventually.

Now, if only my paw paws would cooperate! (Yes I am getting off topic) but some that have been planted several years ago still won't bloom and I probably have 7 trees both grafted and from seedlings. These trees are native to Alabama and are healthy appearing but all my life I have never tasted this fruit and can't seem to make my trees happy enough to produce. Acutally one produces flowers but it takes two to tango I am told.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

There are two supposed self-fertile varieites called Sunflower and Mary Foos Johnson. I ordered the Mary Foo from hidden springs nursery this winter and planted it with a seedling for a little extra ummmfff! I suppose I will have to wait a few years before I get fruit if I can get enough winter chill which is 400 minimum. Good luck. They sure look good in the pictures.

Greensburg, PA

Lee, My 'Big Apple' appears to be self-fertile. When I try to find out about kousa's, I see conflicting information about pollination - I'm not sure if anybody really knows for sure.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah, we had gone off topic about two posts back and were describing paw paws instead of dogwood and strawberry trees.

Greensburg, PA

Oops, sorry all. Some web sites list C. kousa as requiring a pollinator but that has not been my experience. I love the smell of paw paw fruit, but do not like to eat them. (getting back on topic) I wish that I could grow strawberry tree - the pics I have seen make it look attractive to me.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I am getting mine from burnt ridge nursery. They are 3.50 a piece so it is hard to pass them up. They have the dogwood for 3.50 a plant as well.

lee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.