philodendron question

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

First off, let me just say that I am pretty sure what I have is a philodendron, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong! Anyway, I've had this plant for about 3 1/2 years (it was part of a gift basket). It seems to be growing splendidly, but I noticed while watering the other day that some of the stems down near the soil are separating from the roots. (I apologize if this is unclear; I can't think of a better way to describe it.) Anyway, is this happening because the plant is growing too heavy? Should I repot? Stake? Divide? Any advice appreciated. This plant has sentimental value since it was part of a baby gift when my daughter was born, and I've managed to keep it (and a couple of other plants that were in the same basket) alive since then. BTW, the plant is on a shelf above a staircase so the tendrils dangle down the stairway and pretty much hang freely. Could this be part of the problem? TIA!

Thumbnail by jcoakley
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is a shot of the same plant from a different angle:

Thumbnail by jcoakley
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

And one more:

Thumbnail by jcoakley

Your plant is just fine. It's just new growth;-) You can re-pot it all or divide the stem's that are confusing you into a new pot. What ever you decide will be just fine with this plant. I have many of these.

Rachel

Anchorage, AK

It looks like you may have a Philodendron Cordatum. You might add a little soil at the top, maybe an inch, to cover the roots. They can hang & vine without any problems. I agree your plant is probably just fine. If it is putting out new growth & no vines are dying than I wouldn't worry. You can trim the vines back if portions of the stem are bare and it will happily send off a new vine start from where you pruned it. You can also take your trimmings and put them in the soil to root (or in water), if you keep the soil on the slightly moist side they will take off. I have started a few of these little beauties. :)
Sounds like your plant is in good hands!

Danville, IN

This appearance is because the original plants were cuttings, so those places that look like the stems are separating from the roots are just the stubs of the cuttings. The soil is just settling, exposing the roots/stubs and like icanfindroom advised, just add some more to top it off, covering the exposed roots.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you, everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.