Jungle Heights

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Randy...I have started mulching with Coffee Grounds...and the tropicals love it...the worms love it...I bring home about 10 gals. every week...

Your garden is lush...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow...I just sprinkled some around this morning...but 10 lbs...! wow..

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Loved the pictures and still coveting your mini azaleas. I have been on the lookout for a pretty pink, but I only see the regular sized and I want a dwarf that I can keep in a pot. You ever seen any in your nurseries? The blue sage is pretty too.

I just put some coffee grounds around a couple of my jatrophas; I'm hoping that it proves to be a bug deterrant like the article I read here on DG.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm sooooo jealous!!! You have color while we have brown up here. LOL. Your garden looks great even in the middle of winter!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's a lucky winter...

Patty, I have been watching for the azaleas for you..and will be watching again as I bought them here at the office, and in fact have never seen them anywhere else, except...1 time..around Vallentine day...keep an eye out at those flower stands...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

A privilege to know such a person who obviously has magic in every finger tip.

aaahhhhhh

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

My sister received a white one from her daughter for Valentine's Day I think about two or three years ago. She planted it in a pot and it blooms beautifully at least twice a year. That's another reason why I want one. She's not a gardener but she can keep it alive and well so surely they are easy to grow. She feeds hers MG acidic after it blooms and that's about it other than watering it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

exactly..I've not repotted them..nothing..throw coffee grounds on them now and then...I'm going to be keeping my eyes open.

Keaau, HI

Hey Randy, does that Magnolia make seeds?

The "variegated ginger" is Ctenanthe oppenheimiana 'Tricolor'.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you , David. I also have that same ginger and it is pretty much dragging this winter in the greenhouse. The leaves curl.

Christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks David.
I've never seen it go to seed, but it does grow alot of shoots from the base. Shall I snip one for you?

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

that just looks so weird to have those beautiful colored blooms on bare sticks.

Keaau, HI

Certainly! Can you send them and have them survive?

Would you like something from here? Cacao seeds? Betel Nut Palm seeds?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll root them first to enhance survival, and since I work for Continental, I get a great fedex shipping rate!
Believe it or not I have Betel Nut Palm, Cacao seeds sound intriguing. Let me try to root them first.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Randy...you have magic fingers!!!! So beautiful!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Carol, especially coming from the most magic of fingers!
Chalice vine bloom..boy..the opposums liked the buds..and nabbed alot, which didn't make me too very happy!
Been out of commision nasty flu all week ....better today!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Mine are all blooming 50feet up in the trees!!!! can't even smell them!

Carol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah...had a ladder set up for these when they bloomed..so alls I had to do is climb

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Wondered where you had been. Sorry you have been ill. The flu is making its way through my daughter's family. Take care of yourself. It is quite a while before you will get your strength back.

Hi Carol.

Christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's strange...I went down fast last sunday and was crap until today, and then as fast as I went down, I'm going back to fine..strangeness!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Randy, pace yourself after this illness - you may have a relapse if you overdo too quickly! Continue to drink lots of water and fruit juices, because your sense of feeling good now could change and knock you off your feet really fast!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks..I took all week off from work ..was in bed 4 of those days..and requested cranberry and orange juice and drink 1/2 gallon a day...!
shrimp plant

Randy, I was amazed that the cold weather knocked 95% of my plants to the ground, but my red shrimp plant is still going and blooming - WOW, this is one hardy plant!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Randy, I'm sorry that you have been ill. Do take it easy for a few days!

Jeanne

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Lookin' good, as always Randy! Get well soon!

Jenn

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jenny, where were you last Valentines?

Randy, take care of yourself!! I had the stomach flu several weeks ago and it took forever for it to go away it seemed like. That stuff is horrible!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Randy...gorgeous and inspirational as always! You really should write a book..."Adventures in Jungle Heights". Hope you have completely recovered and are back in the glorious garden.

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello Shari...
thankyou! I am back out in the garden, and really didn't stick to my project agenda!. I'm trimming lots of stuff!
This is a weeping bottle brush...it's first bloom. I put it behind the pond where the big brug use to be

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'm surprised you replaced the brug with the bottle brush. We used to have a lot of them in San Diego...quite messy! The brugs are so nice and tidy that don't you find yourself cleaning up a lot more than you used to? But they can be a strikeing site when in full bloom, I'll give you that.

Take care my friend,
Yokwe,
Shari

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Randy! Hope that you are feeling better! Beautiful colors in the bottle brush!

Jeanne

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

oh my goodness, my spelling is atrocious! sight...not site. and how do you spell strikeing? It really looks dumb. I HATE getting old!!!

Howdy Jeanne!

Yokwe,
Shari

LOL!! Don't feel bad Shari cause I didn't even notice!! And I always notice stuff like that.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi y'all! Good to see you Pepper! I didn't notice either, so don't worry about it!

Jeanne

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

al a contraire!
The brugs are messy, disease magnets, grow huge and giant..shade everything. The weeping bottle brush are trees..they get sizeable

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Randy, your garden is a joy to see. Keep up the good work.

Sylvain.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I agree.... Beautimous, Randy!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Randy, now you tell me about the brugs.......haha! Of course mine may not get as big as yours did since I don't feed them like you did! haha!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't feed the ones in the ground.
You know after unloading litteraly truck loads of brugs...

Here's a white shrimp plant

Hmmm, the shrimp plant blooms look yellow to me - is it my computer?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.