Help! Cat chewing leaves - still!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I have bought the "Bitter Yuck" for dogs & cats, but my cat still wants to chew leaves on my peace lilies. She has all but ruined the plants.
She has two plants of her own, fresh pet grass I buy all the time and fresh cat nip but she still wants to chew my indoor plant leaves!
She also has chewed the some of the stems when new growth spurts out.

Is there any thing else I can try?
These peace lilies mean a lot to me. They were sent to me when my grandmother passed away almost a year ago.
Is there any way to bring them back?

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

The leaves

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

some stems she has chewed

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think peace lilies are also poisonous to pets, so I'd definitely try to keep her away from them. I don't have cats so hopefully someone else will have some tips for you--only thing I can think of is putting down some double sided tape or something else sticky near the plants, I've seen people post that as a suggestion for keeping cats from jumping on counters so I assume that might work here as well. And I think your plants will most likely recover--I saw someone post on another thread suggesting that someone cut her peace lily all the way back and let it resprout to get rid of some problem she was having, so based on that I suspect your plants will come back if you can get kitty to stop chewing them.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can find that thread & maybe some answers. I'm interested in cutting them down, but want to be sure so I'll see what I can find.
I certainly didin't know they were poisonous to cats either, *yikes!*
I may just take them to my MIL's house to see if they can re-coop. She doesn't have any cats. *sigh*

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know that you need to cut them back, I was using that thread as an example to say why it seemed like the plant would have a good chance to come back since cutting them all the way back would be even more severe than what your cat has done.

Danville, IN

I've read that cats don't like scented candle wax. You might try either breaking up an old scented candle and sprinkling the pieces on the soil of the plants, or getting those scented wax beads that are used to make a type of candle. I've never tried this, but perhaps it's worth a try for you.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

The peace lily will come back just fine. Have you tried moving it to another location? Perhaps it is just in a spot that the cat likes. I would move the peace lily and replace it with a plant for the cat. Maybe finding herself chewing on a different plant in same location will train her which plants are OK to chew on. That is what I had to do when my cat was chewing on my spider plants. Another thing to try is a squirt gun filled with ice and water. Get one of those high powered ones that squirt a long distance so the cat does not associate you with the water. I used that method to break my cat from getting on top of the TV stand and rubbing on my good vase. A good squirt in the face with icy water a few times and she was broke of it.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Cats do not like citrus either. I tear or chop the peel into 1/2 inch pieces and sprinkle them in pots.

Beebe, AR(Zone 7b)

What about a simple hot pepper spray on the leaves? It won't hurt them but it may make them think twice. Just a thought.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Gerry is right about that! I had forgotten that one, and it had worked very well in my house.

I use the orange peels outside in one of the beds that the cats used to "use" and I can say that it works great outside too.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

ooooo, nice idea with the pepper. I know that would stop me. lol I guess I just lightly sprinkle it on?

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

When I cat/dog-proofed my plants, I poured it on a paper towell and wet-wiped the plants with it. You really DO need rubber gloves for this - take my for for it.........

Chateauguay, Canada

What worked best with my cats is the water spray.
To achieve a high success rate it is important that the cat does not associate you with the spraying. Cats are smart enough to just wait until you're not around and then do whatever it is they want. I used the strongest spray setting and tried always to spray the cat right on the nose THROUGH the plant's foliage. That way the cat is convinced that the PLANT is the dangerous object. You should have seen my cat make humongous detours and give the "spraying" plants the evil eye. It was hilarious. Never had trouble afterwards. It took about 5 or 6 good sprays for the cat to be afraid of the plant.
For cats jumping on counters and tables I've used the "false edge" technique. Works even better than the spray. One shot is all it takes usually.
You take a piece of cardboard that you overlap the edge of a counter/table with. On the cardboard you deposit empty cans. From the cat's viewpoint all seems normal..... until he jumps up and grabs or lands on the edge of the cardboard. The cardboard flips with the animal's weight and the cans fly everywhere scaring the living daylight out of the cat. I hope I've explained it right.
I swear, one time is usually enough, heh heh heh.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

That is a great way to keep my mini daschund off of my Hubby's desk! I have been puzzling over how to do it for the longest time. Thanks so much!

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Some cats are just unstoppable plant eaters. I only grow plants that my cats won't eat. When I grew Begonias they treated them like a salad bar. They have no interest what so ever in my Hoyas - they treat them like they were plastic. Also, if you only have a couple of plants to protect, scat mats work great - they give them a harmless shock that will keep them from revisiting the area.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Gerry, I tried the hot pepper spray, but something keeps getting stuck in the sprayer thing. *ugh*
Wonder if I have another sprayer round here that may work?
I can always empty some hair product that never gets used and wash the bottle out real good. hmmm...

Spott, I got the FUNNIEST visual from that! lol
I can just see my cat flying...." Meeeeowww!" lol lol

- Good idea! XD

Beebe, AR(Zone 7b)

What we did in the past is make an light water/ hot pepper mash in the blender and add liquid tabasco too for the bang and liquify as much as possible. Strain through womans hose into some kinda spray bottle. Add a drop or so of dove ( do not use degreaser soap) or other soap and a just enough water to spray. Shake to mix all. And God save the queen it is baaaaaaaaddddd stuff for who tastes it. By the way please wear gloves when you play with hot peppers. You do not want to get that in your peepers. I know this as I did and it was not a pleasant experience. I have never cried so much in my life.

Anchorage, AK

I agree with the hot pepper. I used it when my friends dog taught my puppy how to tear my carpet out...eeee! They thought the smell was interesting & it didn't hurt them, but they were awfully funny to watch as they looked at each other and licked their lips! Spraying with water is hard if you're at work, however, Spott...LOL! I love that! The plant that squirts water! How much fun would that be? Did you giggle endlessly when you saw the reaction? I think I would be rolling so much the cat would figure it out and then I'd really be in trouble!

Also it's a great idea as mentioned by kathy65468 to put something like cat grass or catnip to "attempt" to distract your kitty from your Peace Lilies.

I have plants in my office & I shut that door when I leave each day because my cat likes them. Sometimes there's just no stopping them.
Your plant will grow new leaves if it's happy and fill back out. You could try Superthrive if fertilizer seems to harsh to encourage it. It's basically plant vitamins. Better for stressed plants than fertilizer. Did you buy hot pepper spray or add Cayenne pepper / hot pepper to water? If you did sometimes you have to strain things a couple of times to get all the residual out so it won't clog your sprayer. I have made sprays in the past, strained it once, and had it leave just enough residue to clog my sprayer even though I couldn't see it. Very unsettling to try to get your sprayer working again. Visualize me trying not to toss it out the window...darn it! "Bugger! I know I can get this working again..."

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Some thing else that will stop cats from eating your plants, pepper spray is wonderful, but Vicks Vapo Rub on a cotton ball in the plant pot workd too, catsdon't like the smell. I have one cat that insists on jumping into a high window, nothing stopped her, until I tried the Vicks, now she doesn't go near the window, and I put the connot balls in the houseplants too.

Cleveland, OH

all the water spray and hot pepper suggestions seem rather cruel. cats don't associate punishment with their actions or the plant. they associate it either with you or they come to recognize the water bottle and all you're really doing is distracting them, not teaching them a lesson. it's instinctual for cats to chew plants. why not provide some wheatgrass seed in a tray (like a foil roasting pan)? your cats and your plants will be happy.

Anchorage, AK

I would have to disagree with "cats don't associate punishment with their actions." Cats are very intelligent creatures. If mine starts chewing on a plant I don't want him to chew on all I have to say is "no" and clap my hands and he's off it. I rarely have problems with him. Lucky me!

Dogs can associate, I assure you cats are equally as smart. I will also say the pepper spray isn't cruel. IF they get past the smell and taste it won't harm them. Kind of like wasabi on your tongue...eeek! But you survive. I used cayenne pepper on an edge of carpet to get my friends dog to stop tearing at it (he was also teaching my dog what fun it was.) They both sniffed, looked at eachother & licked their noses as if licking peanut butter & thinking "What the heck is this sensation???" But they didn't run for the water bowl, whine, rub their noses, etc. They were fine and they left the carpet alone until I vacuumed. Then I put it down again & they didn't go near it, lesson learned.

Also, spraying with water...what harm is done? I totally believe the cat gets it. I highly doubt it believes "the plant sprayed it" lol! Plenty of cats are strays (sadly) that survive rain fall, they aren't witches after all, they won't melt.

I do agree with cat grass & / or catnip. Yes cats & dogs chew on plants by instinct, but they can be trained. That said, I still have a room I shut when I'm gone with some of the more tempting goodies to nibble, palms for instance. When I'm home neither my dog or cat tend to go near the plants. If I'm not watching & I catch one last minute, I correct them by saying no as mentioned with a hand clap to get their attention. They totally know what's up & don't do it again.
BUT as also mentioned, I am possibly pretty spoiled with these two. Love them dearly! :)

Cleveland, OH

Cats are not like dogs. They are also not like humans. All cat behavior consulting has to start with this awareness. That's because nearly all failed efforts to modify cats' behavior assume that cat psychology is like dog psychology (or worse, like human psychology). These efforts are doomed to fail because they are based on ignorance of the uniqueness of individual cats and colony behavior dynamics.

http://www.thecatbehaviorclinic.com/

Physical punishment will only offend the cat and make it distrust and dislike you. Rather than punishing bad behavior after it happens, anticipate trouble and head it off. Instead of angrily shooing your pet off the dinner table, feed the cat before you sit down to eat. Instead of yelling when your cat chews on an electrical cord, or any other object, coat the cord with Bitter Apple jelly. Reverse the toilet paper roll so that the paper comes out from the bottom. Hang plants and ferns out of reach.

http://www.animalhospitals-usa.com/cats/cat_training.html

While there isn't any one solution to the problem of plant eating that will work for all cats, there are a few tricks a distraught owner can try. First, providing a source of fibre or vegetable matter for the cat may eliminate the cat's desire to forage on its own. If the problem is the result of a dietary deficiency, supplement in the form of higher fibre catfood or a small pot of grass or catnip which the cat is allowed to eat may eliminate the problem. Second, removal of plants from accessible locations may provide a physical barrier to grazing. Third, scare tactics may work, and many methods have been suggested. One method uses a water spray bottle which may be either rigged with a string to allow training without the owner's presence being directly associated with the disciplinary action, or simply used whenever the owner catches the animal "in the act". The second technique would be easier to do, but probably less effective because some cats simply learn to misbehave in the absence of the owner. Another scare tactic method involves strategic placement of mousetraps, often overlaid with a sheet of newspaper to prevent their detection by an inquisitive cat. Finally, a technique called aversive taste conditioning can also be very effective. Pepper sauce, vinegar, and other noxious substances are applied directly to the plant leaves where the cat normally chews. Generally, conditioned aversions are most effective when the compound applied (if it produces nausea) is on a new food, so it may work best if applied to a new plant. However, steps may be required to eliminate old favourites from the cat's forbidden plant diet.

http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applied-ethology/behaviourproblems/catplanteating.html

"scare tactics" what lucky pets!

Anchorage, AK

Wow! I really do have to say we won't agree on this one but heck! That's what life is all about right? We agree to disagree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.