February Daily Weather Going for warm!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Starting off the month at 21.6º.
We know it won't last, but, oh well, spring is nearer than it was on Jan 1.

Have a Great Month !
Bernie

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

will be 49 today. has anyone heard from WVA or KY folks? many are without power according to CNN. Hope all is well.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

41° (Wind Chill 33°) and ice litters the ground...

Different areas of KY different stories.
Sharran was pounded down in western KY... trees, lines and power gone.
Eastern fared better.

Ric

(Zone 7a)

I see people checking in in a few places. Others are pitching in and helping.

25°F with 40º for the high.
Feels like: 18°F

Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 21°
Humidity: 81%
Visibility: 2 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: 0 in
Wind: 6 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:37 AM
Sunset: 5:45 PM
UV Index: 3 Low

A tender moment.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's a link.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946772/
I met a bunch of these people in Sept. at KY RU.

Above freezing here again. Go away snow!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

43° no wind chill, not a cloud.
I'm out cutting up that limb in a T-Shirt and Baseball Cap.
What a difference a day makes.
Yesterday it was 1° and full Winter hiking garb.

Last night was a noise fest.
Ice dropping on the Hot Tub canopy sounded like firecrackers and then the House roof got it.
Smack....Slide...Smack....Slide all night long.

We're going over to a neighbor's for Super Bowl.
They just got a metal roof this Fall.
It looks like an avalanche Zone.
The ice and snow have slipped about 8" over the roof edge.
I know when our garage roof lets loose the whole thing slips at once.
WHACK!

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

MIL has relatives in Grandin, MO and they've been without power since Tuesday. That's got to be really rough in cold weather.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

In the mid 50s here, partly cloudy and still gusty. If the wind would go away it would be a nice day.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The entire Kentucky Army National Guard has been mobilized.
They are clearing trees ahead of the power companies.
Also bringing in fuel for heating and they brought generators to run the service stations w/ fuel.
Their main priority now is checking every house down there in the affected areas.
Then get the water treatment plants back up and running.

43° (Wind Chill 36°) Dewpoint: 32° Wind: SW 12 MPH
Humidity: 65% Pressure: 29.97 in Hg
Average: High 39° Low 22°
Today's Sunrise: 7:45AM
Today's Sunset: 6:00PM
(10:15 hours of sunlight)

This wind is really melting off the snow now.

Happy to say the FPR roof held up marvelously.
There is 4" of ice and probably 4 " of snow up there.
If it will hold that.... a GH will be NO problem.

Celia LOL! Tender indeed.

Ric

(Zone 3b)

Minus 10F ~ sunny and bright. Not a breath of wind. All's glittering and gorgeous.
The volcano continues to warm up; sure hope we're able to fly out on the 10th; haven't seen the 2 grandkids since mid-October.
ric~thanks for the update ~ what mess for all caught in the ice/snow storm.

Thumbnail by kiska
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great shot, Kiska! I hope you can fly to see your grandchildren. Is the volcano a threat for your area?
I saw on TV about KY, so scary!
Celia, so cute!
It's greezing again and we had a few snowflakes yesterday. You can see behind Buck!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Y'all have been busy this weekend! Too much to catch up on. Celia a/k/a Kwanjin asked me to let y'all know her modem went down. I'd cry :(

(Zone 3b)

Love Buck's pic, Adina. Do you like having snow?
Yes, the volcano would affect flights out of Anchorage.
MySharona~me too:) Look forward to seeing her back online; thanks. Your Peanut/Jeff make good photo subjects.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Adina if Buck isn't saying "Let me in!" then I don't know dogs! LOL!

46° (Wind Chill 42°

Off to a SB Party

Ric

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Currently 31° and falling. Wow, we had a high of 54° today! (according to the fancy wireless thermometer I got for Christmas) Back in the freezer by mid-week with a high predicted in the low teens. Back up to 40° by next weekend though.

Ric.........Yeah, Buck is saying "Woof, woof, please let me come in and make a bunch of muddy tracks, woof, woof."

Go Steelers! I guess the trash talking Browns fans at work will be quiet this week.
(not my photo)

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 12:38 AM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I take it the Steelers won? I usually watch the Super Bowl, but we were so busy today I didn't even think of it. Rats. We had fun, though. :-) We went to the Museum of Fine Arts after church. On the first Sunday of the month Target sponsors a children's day there with a theme and lots of activities - and it's free! I don't know how long they've been doing this, but I'm sorry we haven't heard of it before! This month's theme was Japan, and along with a bunch of craft-y things (none of which we did, because the girls wanted to just wander around looking at things... next time!), they showed My Neighbor Totoro, an animated movie by my husband's all-time favorite director, Hayao Miyazaki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki). The girls have already seen - and loved! - Totoro on our DVD, but it was very fun seeing it in a real theatre with an audience who was enthusiastically laughing at all the right spots. If you get a chance to see a Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movie, do it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli

(Side note: Not all of their movies (or any Japanese studio's movies, for that matter) are suitable for small children, even if they are animated. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke in particular, are quite intense. They're all really good, though!)

We wandered around the exhibits at the museum for a while, and then came back home and relaxed for about an hour before heading back to church for children's choir. When I got home, I realized that I have a Bible study board meeting tomorrow and I hadn't even typed up last month's meeting notes, to say nothing of e-mailing them to the rest of the board. Oops!!! Where DID January go??? So since putting the bunnies to bed, I've been working on Bible study stuff. I do the PowerPoint slides for our announcements/lyrics to the songs we sing during worship time. Half the fun is making the backgrounds to the slides. :-) That part is done, so now I just need to type the lyrics in and update the announcements. Whew! :-)

It was pushing 80° today, but, of course, there's another chilly front coming through tonight. I'm hoping we will get some real rain out of it this time... We really need it!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53pm CST (14 min ago)
Temperature 57 °F 14 °C
Dew Point 55 °F 13 °C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.7 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir SSE 160°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Current Conditions Clear
24 hour min temperature ending 11:53pm CST : 54.0°F / 12.2°C
24 hour max temperature ending 11:53pm CST : 78.1°F / 22.2°C

Through 1 am, isolated showers and thunderstorms will continue developing across the region and move east at 10 to 15 mph. Some of the storms may briefly pulse up to strong levels, producing pea size hail. A line of stronger showers and thunderstorms will be moving into norther parts of southeast texas and approach the area later tonight.

Rest of tonight Cloudy with a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 50s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening becoming northeast after midnight.

Monday Partly cloudy until late afternoon then clearing. A chance of showers early in the morning. A chance of thunderstorms in the morning. A slight chance of showers in the late morning and early afternoon. Breezy, cooler. Highs in the upper 50s. North winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent in the morning.

Monday night Mostly clear. Colder. Lows in the upper 30s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 12:14 AM

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 12:37 AM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 46, 53 predicted for today.

I rarely watch sports on tv, rather go to the game. The only time Jeff watches is when the Steelers are in the SuperBowl. Sooooo, I double dog dared Jeff to go to the store with his dreds on. Unfortunately he had his UT sweatshirt and crocs on! He said he scared a couple of "little old ladies" in the store LOL!

48.9 °F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 49 °F
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 41 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers in the morning... then showers likely in the afternoon. High 61. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Got another cold front coming in tomorrow.

Yep - he looked like a dork LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

vrrrrroooooooooooom!

Thumbnail by MySharona

LOL at Jeff!!!

I have no idea what our temp is outside except it's cold enough to have frost on the ground until a few minutes ago. Our high is only supposed to be 35. Our fancy thermometer that is outside appears to have quit working.....again.

(Zone 3b)

-2F Dark and the volcano continues to heat up. No eruption as of now, 7am.
Highs zero to 5 above.
MarylynT_X~what a very busy day and night; hope you had time to rest before heading out this morning.
MySharona~looks as if Jeff is loving it.

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey now e_b... Trash Talking Browns fan here....LOL!
It was a good but WAY over officiated game.
LOVED seeing Polamalu whiff on that Tackle! lol!
REALLY violent commercials this year....
anyone on here from TX get the X Rated shots?

38°F and Sunny here.... cold weather coming back for a few days.
Maybe 60°F by Sunday....

Guess the Rodent saw his shadow......

Woof Woof
Ric

(Zone 3b)

With it cold this morning, but dark; I "assumed" it was also clear out. However, it's now light; with heavy fog. No shadow; no groundhogs here, either. What lies ahead:))?
The SBowl was fun to watch; didn't care who won, so enjoyed the back and forth scoring.
Sunrise: Actual Time 9:15 AM AKST
Sunset: 5:05 PM AKST
1*/ foggy

Well, it's warmer than I was told it was gonna be. In the mid to high 40s. Very nice. Sunny too.

It appears that the weather station that we have here at the house doesn't like it when I fall asleep in the chair. I started falling asleep earlier and next thing I know that this is beeping like crazy. My first thought was TV, then fire alarm, then I realized that the sound was coming from the little weather deal. I went over there punched a button and told it to stay quiet or I was gonna take the batteries out. LOL. Needless to say I was awake and not going to sleep again. LOL

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Exciting SuperBowl game!! I usually watch it for the commercials, but really didn't enjoy them this year. I think most of them were too short. Puxatauny(sp) Phil saw his shadow. Short snow shower late this afternoon, now nothing..

kiska, stay safe in your volatile area.

(Zone 3b)

cute story, pepper:)
se_eds~ with more winter on the way, guess there's more shovelling ahead.
We are pretty well set for emergencies; so should be ok when it erupts.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-2º here tonight & NW wind blowing hard. Brrrr!
One more day of cold, then a warming trend.
Spent the afternoon running errands & grocery shopping. I told my wife we could live for a long time on things we have stocked up, but she always finds things to put on the list!

I picked up a new price list for baby chicks today. Then all are 10¢ more each than last year.

Trying to watch "Bachelor" while catching up here.
Time to pay attention to the show.
Bernie

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

18°F after a sunny mild day.

Ric.........It was a great game. An emotional roller coaster for fans of both teams. I assumed you were a Bungles fan. Up here in the NW corner of Pa. we have quite a few Browns fans since Cleveland is only an hour and a half west. Most of them can't remember the last time the Browns won anything but their parents do so they were raised to be Browns fans. I think it's a form of child abuse! ;) The NFL in it's infinite wisdom though has decreed that the Bills are the "local" team here though and the local TV stations have to show Bills games first whenever they play. There might be 3 Bills fans in this part of the state. The commercials were violent this year. How many times did they punch that koala bear? The "boxed flower" industry is probably kaput too.

Sharon..........So that's why Jeff has that Steelers bike!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

E_B - He fell in love with that bike when he saw it! He is from Pittsburgh so he comes by it naturally LOL! Gorgeous picture!
Kiska - Any news on when the eruption will begin? I hope you are able to take your trip.

I almost wish I had stayed up to watch the game, but I slept really good LOL!

41.4 °F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 39 °F
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 28 °F
Wind: 5.4 mphfrom the West
Wind Gust: 9.4 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1900 ft
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 9 am this morning to 5 PM EST this afternoon...
Freeze warning in effect from 1 am to 9 am EST Wednesday...
Hard freeze watch in effect from Wednesday evening through Thursday morning...

Today
Partly cloudy. Windy. High 54. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

Fresh foliage on the NOID rose!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-7º
Haven't opened the blinds yet to check the rest.
Only 13º high predicted.
Tomatoes are up & growing!

Big party in Clear Lake, Iowa last night. It was the 50th anniversary of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, & others. Over 2000 people from all over the world were there. Some from Australia, England, & all over the US.
Appearing on stage was Bobby Vee, who filled in the next night in Fargo, MN. He was only 15 at the time, but it launched his carrier.
I saw him many times at the Prom Ballroom in St.Paul, MN in the 1960's.

Clear Lake is only 100 miles from here, but I didn't make the trip.

Bernie

Our forecasted low was 41* this morning, but we are at 37* now.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I poster the following on the previous thread and then realized there was a new thread for February so I copied and pasted it over here, too. Thank goodness for "copy and paste". LOL

I like to hear about your shopping and cabinet making, Bernie. Great idea top put the Corian on the router table.
Loving all the winter time shots, everyone--so pretty- and the cardinals are gorgeous!
EB, Nice comparison winter/summer shots, too, but I like summer better! LOL
Kelli: flying dragons and Buddha's hand--WOW!
Kiska: I heard on the news that the folks in Anchorage were stocking up on emergency supplies in anticipation of the volcano eruption!
Pepper: I will tell Friday that you think he looks "dapper". :o))

Marylyn; sounds like you had a busy day on Sunday! We did, too, mostly with church activities as well.
LOL at Jeff, Sharon!
I drove up here to Harrison to my daughter's house on Saturday--a beautiful day for a drive--the sun was shining and it was in the high 50's. . However, the ice storm certainly left behind its "calling card"--thousands of trees damaged or uprooted. It looked as if a giant tornado had come through most of north Arkansas and ripped out the tops of most of the trees! Terrible! My daughter's lawn, front and back, was literally covered with tree limbs and more limbs hanging from the tops of the trees. They were fortunate (thank You, Lord!) that none of the limbs fell on their house. They had an estimate from a tree guy of $2500.00 dollars to remove the limbs but their church's disaster assistance team came yesterday with chain saws and rakes and cleared the whole yard out plus raked up all the leaves that had fallen previously and they were gone in a matter of 3-4 hours! and all for FREE!!
I took pictures of the ice storm's damage but the corner broke off the little card "thingie" and now it won't fit back into my camera. I had already uploaded most of the photos on the card to my computer at home but I suppose the latest photos are lost. I have another card at home but I did not bring it with me. :o((

There are still a lot of people in this area without power but the utility companies have many trucks and workers out trying to get the power back on to everyone.

The sun is shining and the current temp is 36º with a high in the 40's later today.

Everyone have a good day!

(Zone 3b)

Minus 11°F Dark; haven't had first coffee, so will be back.
Sunrise: 9:13
Sunset: 5:33
Gain of 5m33seconds.
Copy/Paste from the AVO:
"A gas/observation overflight yesterday reported continued changes in the summit glaciers indicative of heating of the summit area. Photos from both the overflight and the hut webcam showed a small vapor plume at the summit. The web camera is now dark as our long winter night continues."

Cold and sunny. Not much of a breeze though which is good. lol.

(Zone 3b)

pepper~not having a breeze certainly makes for a better, cold, sunny day.

The Super Bowl was great. I found a lot of the commercials to be infantile. We watch a lot of sports and the commercials tend to be either infantile or macho. They seem to be aiming for the stereotypical 20-something males. (No offense intended to the nonstereotypical 20-something males who are reading this.)

We have to get the front of the house treated for termites. :-(

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PST on February 03, 2009
75 °F
Clear
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 24 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.10 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

I have been trying to get over nasal spray addiction. I know you're picturing some wasted, stoned, California hippy thing, but it's not as bizarre as it sounds. If you use over-the-counter nasal spray for too long, your sinus get dependant on it and won't stay open without it. Eventually, they won't stay open with it, either. I had reached that point and stopped cold turkey. Yesterday was miserable. It was like having a really bad cold. Decongestant didn't work, steam didn't work, camphor didn't work. The only thing to help much was to put an ice pack on my face. Also, if I layed on my side, one side of my head would stay open pretty well. Anyway, the worst of that is over now. I can breathe pretty well today with the aid of decongestant tablets and camphor.

picture from Saturday

Thumbnail by Kelli
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, Kelli, you poor thing... That sounds really miserable. :-( I sure hope you feel better soon! And I'm sorry about the termites, too. ugh...

It's 66° and sunny here. It still hasn't rained. I need to run the sprinkler tomorrow to soften the ground up so I can finally get to the weeding.

Look! Our humidity is lower than Kelli's!!! I'm not sure that has ever happened before. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CST (18 min ago)
Temperature 71 °F 22 °C
Dew Point 19 °F -7 °C
Humidity 14%
Pressure 30.28 in 1025.3 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir W 270°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 70 °F 21 °C Temp | 24 Max | 24 Min | Dew Point | Pressure | Feels Like
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 32.0°F / 0.0°C

Rest of today Sunny. Highs around 70. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Clear. Lows in the upper 30s. Southwest winds around 5 mph in the evening becoming northeast after midnight.

Marylyn, you must be ready to shrivel up and blow away! That reminds me. I need to turn on the humidifier so I don't get all itchy later. And I'm feeling pretty decent today in the sinus department. Yesterday was awful, but today is close to normal.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Marylyn, you must be ready to shrivel up and blow away!

Almost!! LOL I'm glad you're feeling better today.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2009 2:35 PM

(Zone 3b)

kelli~ glad to see that you're doing better than yesterday. Certainly must be miserable. Loved seeing snow and palm trees together. Beautiful country.
Marylyn~weeding in the middle of winter seems unusual:) Nice to be outside, though, I'm sure.
Minus 8F snowing lightly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.