What's my name

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I was told this was called a Chinese Evergreen plant. I did a search on this and it very well could be but it isn't bushing out like the ones I have seen. And it is also now getting top heavy. Any advise on how to correct it from being top heavy. What does it need?
Thanks!
dawn

Thumbnail by pdoyle23323
Danville, IN

Definitely a Chinese Evergreen. In May, cut off the top (about 6"), dip it in rooting hormone and stick it in the pot right next to the trunk. (Strip off all leaves except for the top few first and bury two-thirds of it.) You can also then cut off another section of the trunk (3"-4), dip it in rooting hormone, and stick it two-thirds in the soil. The cut off parts will root over the summer. Meanwhile, the stump will send out at least one new sprout from near the top, maybe two or three, which will grow to give you a stockier plant. I would recommend putting the whole plant outside under a shrub, on the patio, or on a screened porch in the shade (no sun!!!). Don't overwater, but don't let it dry out completely either. Just water well when the top inch feels dry and then let dry out that way again.

You could actually do this at any time, but in your climate you will have an easier time of it if you let Mother Nature help by keeping the whole pot outside until fall. The plant will have a easier time of it.

Chinese Evergreens are remarkably tough and easy to grow. The biggest mistake is over watering. They grow in very low light, but will do fine in brighter light, but no direct sun.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Hoosier! I appreciate the info. I will do just that then. Going to print this out and put it under the plant so I'll remember this spring. my hairdresser gave me this "pup" and the mother was HUGE. Like over 10' tall and the pot was full. They had divided this thing so many times they had no more room they were giving them away. I was hoping mine would get like that but then I guess I need more than one. I actually thought it multiply itself. Guess not. Thanks again!
dawn

Danville, IN

Well, they do send out "pups", but if you take cuttings like I described, you'll get a fuller plant more quickly. Actually, by doing this procedure, you might stimulate the mother plant to send out pups! Here's a photo of one of my Chinese Evergreens. There are many different cultivars, with varying degrees of silver on the leaves. You can see a second one, more like yours, in the top left corner.

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I am going to try what you say. I'm kinda nervous though. Cut the top off my plant!?! I have to do something though. I;m afraid it's getting so heavy on top it's gonna snap off anyway. Nice looking plant you have there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.