Heidi Chronicles: Masked Invasion

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

It's 55* here now, Wheee!!! We're having a heat wave! I slept with the window up right at the head of my bed last night!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It is windy and 60 right now...we'll take it gladly after all this region has been through!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

we are windy too. and where there was about a foot of snow, there is now grass. VERY blue sky too... so nice to see. We will be up and down with our temps the next week or so, but i do think day time temps will be above freezing til next weekend. Back yard is like soup.... BUddy's making a mess.

I even put the bird bath back together yesterday, and filled it with snow... knowing it would all be melted... maybe some birdies may use it today.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, 58 degrees out here today, even though it's cloudy! We may get some rain. Yes, the birdies and other wild critters certainly deserve a break as well as we do, if not more.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

nice here too.... i just peeked out in the back and the opossum is out there cleaning up spilled seeds. I have a pile of old salad out there, but he does not seem interested. Luckily Bud did not see him, as he's be barking to go out then probably scare him away. He is quite dark with the white-ish face. I did put some peanuts [shelled] in the feeder... but when the squirrels jump on it - it swings and spills everything out... so some nuts are probably on the ground. ITs' good to see him... even in the day light.

and he should be fine, since the coyote is usually not seen during the day light hours.

come to think of it... the possum probably came out early since now the snow is all gone, where yesterday there was still 8-12" back there.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I only had 3-4 squirrels today and very few birds at all. There was still seed in the feeders this evening and they have been empty. All out snow is gone too, hard to believe....

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to have been AWOL for a few days. I'm doing fine and have enjoyed a couple of pain free (and pain med free) days thanks to steroids - which end tomorrow, darn it. I wanted to give you a quick update. Have to type fast and try my best to be brief-ish (as I am incapable of true brevity). Looks like I must have left the AC adapter for this laptop at work today. The battery is old and doesn't have much life left, so tonight's story will be short one way or the other.

I guess the last time I spoke with you I had spent an evening hand feeding frosting sandwiches to the youngsters and was happy that they were all willing to come to me. What I didn't tell you - because I couldn't make sense of it - is that something just didn't feel right. It wasn't like feeding Dennis or Cissy or Fraidy or even Jerry and Calvin. To tell you the truth, for a while now I've had that strange erie feeling you get at the beginning of a horror flick before the bad stuff starts happening. You know, everything is fine but still you feel that tingle up your spine.

Saturday night when I went out there Heidi came to me and I put food in her bowl like usual. Things were going well. Heidi sat down to eat, and all was well. Then the kits and Ursula started to show up and everything went to heck within minutes. The kits all came at me in droves. There must have been 8 or 9 of them and they were coming at me from all directions. Normally, I would have found this a positive thing, but somehow it felt a little intimidating.

With the typical human tendency to ignore gut instincts, I gave out treats to 'control' the kits or at least keep them entertained. Normally, feeding raccoons would be fun, but this wasn't really. Then Ursula went after Heidi's food, and Heidi, much to my horror, backed away and let her have it. Soon Heidi was nibbling around the edges of the large crowd of fighting, scrapping teenage coons.

At some point, and I've lost track of the exact course of events now, Heidi looked up at me with a combination of frustration, sympathy, and knowing, and as surely as if she and I spoke the same language she conveyed without words the clearest of messages, "What are you DOING?!!! Can't you see how you are enabling this behavior? Is this what you want? Are you paying attention at all or are humans just stupid? I'm not angry with you, just very, very disappointed."

And with that she turned and left without having eaten enough to call it a dinner.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

And just like that, I got it. Suddenly it was all clear. Suddenly I understood why I had felt so unnerved by everything. And I kid you not, that I gained all of this insight while 'talking' to Heidi - talking w/o words, but talking just the same.

In a flash I understood. These were not Heidi's kits or her grandkits. These were the progeny of Ursula and Cruella. They and Heidi's group were distinct and seperate. Like their moms before them, these kits were like a bunch of wild hudlums charging through some inner city terrorizing everyone in their paths. Like home invaders and party crashers, they were not hear to dine with us but to take what they could from us. There was something oddly unsatisfying about feeding them and something strangely incorigible about their behavior as they ran about the area fighting savagely with each other over the most minor things.

Heidi did not want to be around them. She didn't want them near her as she tried to enjoy a stress free dinner. She knew better than to trust them. She wasn't afraid of them - as I had originally feared when I saw her give up her dish to Ursula and walk away - for later I witnessed her turn back and charge into the group to chase 2 of them away at once. She wasn't afraid of them. She just didn't want to dine with them, and when she looked up at me that way it was as if to say, "Your behavior is making them worse and making things more difficult for me."

The kits had eaten treats from my hands and had not harmed me, yet I had been oddly unnerved by them. Now it was all starting to make sense. That same night, Juliet's kit (now virtually grown) had come up beside me also seeking a treat, but unlike the others she had stood there politely waiting to be recognized. There was something sweet about her. She was not intimidating. Her behavior was respectful. I did not have that same "horror flick" feeling about my interactions with her. I had given her some treats, and each time she returned for another she stood quietly waiting her turn. I liked her. I somehow did not like any of these other kits. They were, in fact, oddly annoying.

Now I understood. These kits would never be like the raccoons I was accustomed to. They were different somehow whether by nature or nurture, different like those humans who will steal from you and harm you and no amount of being nice to them will change that. It made me sad now to realize, but these kits would never be like Heidi's family. They were different.

I walked away that night feeling saddened, frustrated, and uncertain as to what to do.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Last night, I just didn't go out there at all. Earlier I had decided to stop with the treats for a little while and to stop feeding the kits by hand. I wanted to stop encouraging them, wanted to stop working against Heidi's and my own best interest but didn't really know how and worse wasn't certain that I could identify these kits vs Heidi's. So I didn't go out at all.

Around 1AM or so as I was getting ready for bed, albeit late, I went out back to set out a rat trap. When I turned on the light I saw a young raccoon on the patio. I knew it wasn't Heidi, but still my heart went out to her and I resolved to come back to check for and feed her after I had finished what I was doing. I left the patio light on and went out front to walk Widget for a minute or two. I returned maybe 5 minutes later just in time to watch that same young raccoon running away with my NEW rat trap. Now I knew for sure where my traps were going lately. In the beginning (a year or so ago) the Snowball had been taking the occasional trap away with a rat in it, but now the raccoons were taking the traps as soon as I put them out - just to get that little dab of peanut butter. Argggg!

I had, BTW, also solved the mystery of how the raccoons were managing to get the pb out of the traps w/o springing them. Turns out the chain I had afixed to the trap to anchor it and keep it from running off had interferred with and jammed the spring mechanism allowing the raccoons to get the pb. When I don't chain the trap down, they steal it. When I do chain it down, the trap doesn't work and they steal the pb. Either way, I don't catch anything. Arggg! So now those mysteries are solved.

Frustrated about my traps but still feeling for Heidi, I grabbed my bucket and went out. I called Heidi. It was almost 1:30AM. She hopped down from the fence and came to me. I put food in her dish and sat down still not quite sure how to deal with the kits who would surely be showing up soon - except that I knew I would not give them any treats.

Heidi sat down to eat, and soon the kits started to show up in droves. It was the mean group again. I sat for a moment not knowing what to do and not wanting to do the wrong thing. They swarmed me, intimidated me, sneaked up on me. They fought and argued over near the pool - over nothing as none of them even had food yet. I lack the words to articulate it, but there was something unsavory about this group, and having them all around me made me most uncomfortable.

From time to time one of more of them strayed into Heidi's area and she set them straight immediately. Then, watching her, I got it. I gave them a bit of dog food but put it only over on the opposite side of the pool from Heidi allowing her a wide berth of space. The kits fought and argued with each other but this tended to keep them mostly away from Heidi, and I could see that she was much, much happier.

Once again, it made sense as what older and more mature adult, pregnant even, would want to eat dinner in the middle of a mosh pit (or current analog). Of course, Heidi didn't want that crazy gang of 'heck' raising thugs mingling all around her and fighting while she was trying to eat. In keeping with the way I did things with Heidi's kits, I had been putting Heidi in the middle and then putting little puddles of kibble in various areas around her to maximize the space and give everyone a place, but no more. From now on, Heidi would get the pool area like she did long ago, and the others would have to find a way to share the remaining space. That they would fight over there, should be a factor as they fight no matter where I put them. This way, though, Heidi would be able to eat, and I might have some tiny chance at getting to know her new kits. Maybe.

So last night I didn't give the other kits any treats, and I put all of there food on the one side - and, yes, the fought like crazy. And Heidi shook her head and looked at me as if to say, "I though you would never catch on". Once again, Blondie's kit came up beside me and stood there in her normal sweet manner so I put a few handfuls of pecans from my pocket on the ground there for her. Sweet and well behaved though she is, like her mom, blondie is quite capable of defending herself and her food.

I had intended that I would not give out any treats so as not to cause the bad kits to start bothering Heidi, but then I remembered that I had an almost empty can of strawberry frosting with me, the kind that is just perfect for licking clean. As soon as I took the top off, I could see Heidi's ears peak. She was keeping an eye on that can!

The kits were all over me in a creepy way. I had to keep swinging arms and legs to keep them back. I tossed the can to Heidi. One of the mean kits made a dive for it, and if ever I doubted Heidi's ability to handle herself, it was resolved that moment. If I had wondered if she might be afraid of the mean kits, I didn't anymore for even though the vicious (and now pretty much grown) kit got it first, Heidi reached out and snatched it right out of his mouth - and he walked away without so much as a growl.

After Heidi had finished with the can, she left it and one of the kits took over taking the can over behind the composter to enjoy it in private. After a time, when I had forgotten all about the frosting can or the other kit, and while I was just sitting around watching things, happy to see Heidi eating in peace for a change, suddenly from the corner of my eye I saw a lone frosting can seemingly floating in the air in the darkness beyond the composter. It was that same kit still back there in the dark his head pushed deep in the can, staggering around, nose (and can) pointed straight up at the stars. He reminded me of The Cat in The Hat back there teeter tottering around, head buried eyes and all in the can, can almost fully vertical. The white and brightly trimmed can stood out in the dim light and almost seemed to float alone through the night atop the composter, the raccoon that held it almost entiredly conceiled by the composter and barely visible in the shadows. This went on and on for some time. The raccoon's head was not stuck in the can, nor was he fighting to free it. Far from it, he was struggling to liberate the frosting as he continued this most amusing moonlight dance of the frosting can teetering first in one direction a foot or so and then the other, back and forth, looking like one of the 3 stooges with his head stuck in a paint can.

Well, That's All Folks! Battery almost gone.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

So glad to hear the pain level has been better for you, Cheryl. Congrats on resolving the backyard mysteries, both of the traps and of the strangely-behaving kits. Makes perfect sense once you realize they're not from the Heidi clan! And your current approach to them sounds like the best possible solution under the circumstances.

Had to chuckle at your description of the "horror flick" feeling these kits inspire. For years, I've tried to think of a way of describing how I could always sense when I was dealing with an animal who would later turn out to be rabid: the horror flick feeling is a perfect description. I'm not suggesting, of course, that the kits in your yard are rabid - I'm sure that's not the case - just that we can somehow sense on a subliminal level when the animal's behavior is just totally wrong. The chill up the spine that you get just before the nightmare breaks loose in a horror movie describes it perfectly.

Oh, boy, there goes the neighborhood... That does sound funny, though about the can-on-the-head dance-in-the-dark. LOL Those frosting cans are flexible enough so they won't actually get their heads stuck, though.
Sounds like trapping rats is not gonna happen with those sneaky li'l boogers!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

The 3 day break from back pain was wonderful but is now officially over, unfortunately. This morning I took the last dose of prednisone. By mid afternoon the pain was back with a vengence. 2 pain pills later, the pain was still escalating out of control. Oh, well, those 3 totally pain free days were nice while they lasted.

This morning on the way to work I ran by for a 'quick' snooze stuffed into the MRI capsule like a human sausage. Interesting sleep solution but think I prefer my bed. Results for that test aren't back yet, of course, but today I also got the bad news from prior testing. Seems my inflamed muscle explanation was overly optimistic. Still trying to wrap my head around this news, but I have moderate to severe damage to L2-L5 vertebra. Awaiting more specific info from MRI results. Bummer. Guess that explains why nothing from pain meds to steroids to muscle relaxers to stretches has been helping very much.

Things really are going so much better with Heidi since I finally 'got it' and made some changes. It's hard to explain, but it really was Heidi herself who clued me in. I'm not saying she 'told' me intentionally. Probably not, but she can be very expressive - or maybe I've just become attuned to her expressions. Don't know which, but that look of total exasperation on her face, and entire body for that matter, was too much to ignore. She could not have been more obvious if she had jutted her hip out with one hand perched on it and rolled her eyes while exhaling noisily and looking up at the sky. For some reason, in that instant, I got it - finally, even though before that I wasn't really looking for it.

Tonight it was great to see Heidi slouching in front of her dish while eating at a leasurely pace, picking up each bit of kibble one at a time and popping them in her mouth like popcorn. She and I have been working together the past few days to resolve the problems and have been communicating amazingly well - for a human and a wild animal.

On two different nights (since I realized the problem and started working to rectify things), Ursula stole Heidi's dish. Basically, Heidi stands her ground over and over with Ursula, but eventually and after repeated attempts, Heidi will finally give in. Her willingness to fight over the food is directly proportional to her hunger, so after she has eaten for a while she eventually caves. On both nights when this happened, I was able to run Ursula away from the dish and call Heidi back to it. This was no small accomplishment since Ursula is not afraid of me. When I got up to go over there and 'fix' things, I wasn't sure if I would be able to 'shoo' Ursula back from the dish w/o sending Heidi running.

As I approached, I kept talking to Heidi who was standing over by the pool looking back at her dish and at me and watching. Repeatedly, I called her name and said "it's ok" all the while hoping she would understand what I was doing, that I was working with her to get her dish back. At the same time I somehow managed to approach Ursula and flail my arms enough to cause her to run back to the fence. (and trust me when I say that scaring one raccoon away while trying to let another know to stay is not easy, but thanks to Heidi's unbelievable ability to figure things out, it actually worked.)

With Ursula perched atop the fence post looking back at me and Heidi standing over by the pool, there I stood by the dish. Now all I had to do was convince Heidi that it was ok to return to her dish - with me still standing there so as to keep Ursula from running back to claim it first. That may sound easy, except that after watching me chase the other raccoon away, Heidi now needs to be able to understand that I'm not after everybody and it's ok for her to return. That requires a bit of reasoning. But it worked. While standing guard over the dish, I called to her a time or two, and after accessing the situation, she came back to claim her dish - looking for all the world as though she actually understood what I/we had just done to evict Ursula and reclaim the dish. Yay! And we actually managed to repeat that whole thing on two different days.

Tonight Ursula and the kits arrived well ahead of Heidi. This time, I filled Heidi's dish and put it on the table beside me for safe keeping. Then I put the rest of the food over on the other side for Ursula and her crowd. They sneeked around me trying to take the dish, looking for treats, etc and tried for a while to get me to feed them in the big clearing where they normally eat, now reserved for Heidi. I ignored them and eventually they all gave up and went over to their new side to eat.

When Heidi arrived atop the fence, I had to get her to understand what I was doing. I spoke to her and showed her dish to her then stood up slowly still calling her. As I stood up the kits ran in all directions. Naturally, seeing everyone else running, Heidi's 1st instinct was to flee, too, but with a bit of cajoling she 'got it'. Even as the others were still scattering, she came down and walked toward me as I walked over to put her dish down. I sat down again, and watched as Heidi sat down and got comfy to eat her dinner in peace. It was a very good feeling to have pulled that off. I was very proud of us - and more than a little amazed.

As for the kits and Ursula. It's difficult to explain how different they are from Heidi and her group, but they really are different, and I now see that it's not something that will likely change with time and TLC. I've worked for months now to gain the trust of the kits all the while thinking that would make them like all of the friendly raccoons that came before. Well, now they are 'tame' enough to walk up and snatch things right off the table and out of my hand if I'm not careful, but they are not gentle and sweet like Heidi's kids have always been. And they fight 'to the death' over every little thing. The are vicious in their interactions with each other - just like their moms. They remind me of a bunch of jackals. Even though I have succeeded in getting them to come to me to take food, I don't derive any real pleasure from my interactions with them. I suspect it is the kind of thing that some people might have to witness to fully understand.

Like you, I don't tend to think they are rabid - although it does occur to me that all that fighting increases their possibility of exposure. They don't seem sick or 'crazy' or in pain or any of that. They just remind me of a gang of an inner city gang, youngsters gone awry.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

I let them play with the frosting cans all the time. They manage to shove their heads in all the way up to their ears but are always able to get them out again. Sometimes their heads get [gently] stuck momentarily and I see them tottering around, head in 'can', hands grasping either side to pull it off. As soon as they get their head out they usually stick it back in their again. That kit the other night though wasn't even trying to get his head out. If anything he was still trying to get his head in farther so as to get at all of the frosting - all the while teetering about in the dark waving his [can topped] head to and fro Stevie Wonder style.

Oh, yes, trying to trap those rats/mice is going to be a real challenge with those 'wascally waccoons' around. If they weren't so adorable, raccoons might be annoying at times like these. I also have a 'rat zapper' which, if you recall from a few years ago, is likely to be used as a treat dispenser and football if I break that out again. In addition, I have a rat sized cage trap. Even if I could figure out what to do with the rats if I catch one in there, I am doubtful that the raccoons would allow it to sit around undisturbed long enough to catch one anyway. Even if they don't try to go in there, I figure they will either stick their hands in their to try to get the food or pick it up and dump the food out or drag it around the yard - and/or take it to the forest to add to the rest of the treasures they've stolen over the years. I'm still scratching my head on this one. I did manage to catch a tiny mouse in the rat trap the other night - I found him sealed up in there when I found the trap 1/2 way across the lawn where the raccoon dropped it.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Very, very glad to hear that you guys are having some nice weather lately. It is spring here now. Temps in the 70's. Yesterday the first few daffodils opened and I went out back to find the dark red-purple tulip type magnolias in bloom. So, take heart. Spring is here and will surely be there soon.

So sorry to hear about your spine damage, Cheryl. Hopefully along with the damage reports, they'll be able to offer some effective treatment options; tolerating that level of pain is no way to have to live.

A "bunch of jackals" sounds like an apt description of these kits; it really is absurd, at their age, to be fighting violently over food, when they are hardly facing starvation. Sounds like you and Heidi are communicating remarkably well, and working well together to resolve some issues: quite amazing. Is Heidi at the huge stage of pregnancy yet? Haven't heard you mention coughing fits, so perhaps not...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Trying to explain the difference between the 'good' coons and the rowdy coons:

The good guys:

Find a spot and start eating. Stay in that spot as long as the food hold out and/or unless they need to get a drink of water. If they see me get out treats they either (1) continue eating and wait for me to call them or toss them one, (2) come over and stand near or beside me waiting patiently to be offered one.

The bad guys:

Spend the entire meal rambling about challenging each other and checking to see if the food is better on the other side of the fence or if someone else has something they don't. Snarl and growl at everyone who gets near them then quickly jump on the offender give them a vicious beating. Roll around on the ground ripping clumps of hair out of each other. Sneak up to me from time to time (in that crouching position cats use) and try to grab something. Repeat until time to leave. If they see/smell me take out treats, they just instantly go crazy. The fact that I always rotate the treats to give everyone equal access doesn't stop them from trying to kill each other to get more. Some will be near me trying to grab stuff while others in the background will be fighting vehemently over treats they don't even have yet. As soon as the treats come out, it looks like one of those wild west saloon fights. I can see why Heidi gives me the dirty look when I get out the goodies.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

The Dr said she would either be sending me for pain mgt (steroid shots) or straight to surgery depending on the MRI results. I know that one or both of these has helped some people, often relieving the pain altogether, so I am optimistic. At least now I understand why my efforts to heat, ice, and stretch the muscles wasn't working.

Glad you asked about Heidi's state as I keep forgetting to mention that she is having considerable coughing/wheezing issues now. She can't afford much in the way of conflict with the others right now. If she even tries to growl at them she is likely to begin coughing. Chasing them and/or fighting is mostly out of the question. The other night I counted her contiguous coughs/wheezes in order to be able to better characterize the situation for you guys. I counted 19 successive coughs or 'wheezes' before she recovered from that particular episode. From this I figure she must be somewhat close. A couple of weeks maybe? She is large but not as huge as I have seen her in the past. She isn't at that miserable looking, overstuffed beachball stage yet, the one where it makes you uncomfortable just to watch her. Also, she isn't slipping and sliding on her way down the fence post. She is sitting down and lounging around a lot now while eating, only standing up for a second or two before flopping down again. Due to the size thing, if she is close, I figure maybe she only has 2 or 3 kits in there. Just guessing.

Yep, sure sounds like the lady's apron is low, to use that old medieval euphemism for advanced pregnancy. A smaller litter wouldn't surprise me at all, because (a) she is quite a mature lady, and litter size typically decreases with age, and (b) if Trouble is the sire, as unfortunately seems likely, he is quite a young lad whose sperm count may not yet have reached mature levels. Definitely an April/November match, and we hope Trouble will mature into his role in the community now that he's the man of the hour.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Cheryl, no wonder you've been in such pain. I have had back surgery and am now better than I ever thought possible. At my worst I had to literally crawl because I couldn't even stand up. No fun. So if surgery is the option they offer you, it isn't the worst thing I could think of. I just hope they are able to do something for you soon.

Ursula and group certainly do have that gang mentality. It would be so nice if they would just move on but I'm sure that won't happen. Unbelieveable how you and Heidi can communicate! She has certainly come a long way in trusting you.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Cheryl. My sister was recently diagnosed with a degenerative bone disease at the age of 48. Her pain is in the cervical spine.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

Earlier I forgot to comment on your recommendation about the chiropractor. Although I don't know if it can help with this sort of problem, I'm amenable to trying it. In fact, I went for chiro. treatments for a while when I suffered some back strain in my early 20's - and it really did the trick. I'll have to look around for a chiropractor in the area and give it a try.

At Heidi's age - and pregnant, no less - you can just imagine how she does not want to eat dinner in the middle of gang wars. I wish you could see how happy, content, and free from stress she looked last night without all those youngsters - and Ursula - fighting all around her. She looked like she did in the old days before the gangsters showed up. It was so nice to see. Made me feel sorry for what she was going through before and that I didn't catch it sooner.

I'm just guess a smaller litter because she isn't so miserably huge, at least not yet.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks goldfinch,

I don't expect the gang to go away. That would be too easy. And right now Heidi's not in much condition for a fight - as in to send them packing. Once her kits arrive she will definitely avoid unnecessary fighting until they are much older. So I think we are stuck with the gang for a while.

I am surprised that we can communicate in this way, but I have to credit Heidi for making it possible. She is one smart 'lady'. I still can't believe that after a lifetime in the wild she would be able to grasp the concept that I am helping her, that I am chasing the other raccoon away for her and helping her get her dish back and that it is, therefore, safe to return to the dish even while I am actively holding everyone else away. I would think that they are accustomed to be chased away as a group and not singled out for individual treatment, yet somehow she has managed to understand. It is quite an amazing testament to raccoons.

You know, on a different but connected note, the more I learn about raccoons, about how very smart they are, how much they understand and are able to grasp along with their almost insatiable (esp when young) curiosity for playing with everything and taking things apart just for the heck of it, the more I now understand why it is so impossible to keep them from doing whatever they want to do in our yards at night. By this I mean now that I know them better I think back to earlier days before my friendship with Heidi began and how I tried in vane to keep the raccoons from bothering things in the yard. Back then I didn't realize how very smart they are or how capable, determined, and pysically strong for their size they are. Perhaps the one most important thing I didn't understand back then is that they are not merely motivated by food but rather by strong curiosity and the desire to touch things, take things apart, and play. These attributes make them both adorable and at times annoying, and these attributes make them almost impossible to stop.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

Thank you. I'm sorry to hear about your sister's condition. I hope the Dr's will be able to provide her some relief. A friend of mine recently had surgery on the vertebra of her neck. It seems to have gone very well for her, but, of course, each situation and condition is different.

I just got the basic news from the MRI: severely bulging disks from all 3 vertebra involved but no apparent rupture at this time. I'm being referred to a pain mgt specialist for the steroid/pain blocking injections to see if that will work for me. My regular Dr just called in muscle relaxers and more pain meds. Hoping those shots [get here soon] and that they work.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh Ugggggg, Cheryl.

DH has pain up in T3-4 I think... some degenerative thing.
He has said surgery will be last resort for him.... though he has other "issues"
so the neck 'crunching' is the least of his worries at the moment.

I"ll be sending good vibes your way ....

and so cool about the "communication" between you and Heidi... so -- she can train you.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Oh Yayyyyy, Cheryl..
I hope you will find the nerve root injections solve a lot of the pain problems, just as I have done. And overnight, too.

And I am continually amazed with Heidi. She is a great teacher, I think.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Raccoons are amusing creatures, aren't they, but then humans can be rather amusing as well.

Remember Ralph? The guy from the Christmas party?

Ralph has been out from work all week. Seems he is suffering from rabies. Yep.

Ok, that wouldn't be very funny if it were true. Ralph did a little self-diagnosing. Why rabies of all things you ask. Simple. He had a very soar throat which came on suddenly a few weeks after he played with a friends dog, so naturally he concluded that it was rabies. When he went online and read the symptoms he became all the more certain of his fate. Yep, there it was in black and white: "incubation period of a few weeks to a year" and "severe pain when attempting to swallow".

I couldn't help noticing how he overlooked a few other important symptoms that don't fit and how, in his search for a diagnosis, he managed to skip right past more obvious things like the common cold.
At first, I thought he was joking, but, no, he was serious. I would laugh if I hadn't made some similarly ludicrous self diagnosis at some point in my life. I mean, honestly, who among us hasn't come down with at least one case of Legionare's, Ebola, or the Plague or something?

As you might have guessed, Ralph has something closer to a sore throat due to cold or allergies. I for one believe it is the latter but know that he isn't willing to face up that diagnosis yet, so I'm keeping it to myself. He did, apparently, speak with his Dr who assurred him that he doesn't have rabies (or strep throat). I think he will probably live for now.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTFLMAO, Terese!!!!

Ouch! All this laughing is making my back vibrate!

Quoting:
"so -- she can train you"

Exactly!

(Oh, and very sorry to hear about your DH.)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>(Oh, and very sorry to hear about your DH.)

ah.. just a part of life i guess.... he said, at least i'm healthy" and it could be worse... and I know guys with brain tumors ... etc. we just had a friend die [age 45] of a brain aneurysm... so very sad.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Sharran,

Hmmm. Your post and Terese's post look odd back to back like that, like an oddly matching yet contradictory set of greetings. : )

I'm optimistic for the shots since that is, as I understand it, a much more targeted application of the same thing I've been taking orally for a few days. Those 3 days on the steroids were the most glorious and totally pain free days I can recall in a long time. Ahhhh.

You are quite right. Heidi is a fabulous teacher, and she has taught me a great deal. If I had met one of the rowdy raccoons 1st, I might have ended up with a much different perspective on the species. I find that I think of Heidi as something of a sage, possessing great wisdom, who just doesn't happen to speak the same language that I do or share a common culture but from whom I can learn a great deal if I keep an open mind.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Poor, poor Widget. Right now he's running around in desperate circles fanning his hiney. It seems some stupid human shaved his private area too close a few days ago and now he has razor burn in a very delicate place. Big oops! Humans again.

We are awaiting a call from the vet with instructions on how to proceed...

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Oh, I didn't even notice the contradictions. Sorry.....I was just happy because I know first hand that the injections offer instant relief. I have been on them for more than a year, and it is the first time I have been fairly pain free in a very long time. I don't turn too many back handsprings, but I do walk a mile or two every day (but not in the ice!) And if they work for you, then it is wonderful. I am hoping they do, since our diagnoses are very very similar.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL -- i didint either. but now that i read her's ... it seemed she was happy for you that you now know what's causing it and may find some relief.

either way.... Ugg that you are miserable and in pain, and yay, that you may get some relief.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

When I went to 'new posts' your 2 posts were both there and the two very similar lines just jumped out at me before I could read anything else:

Quoting:
"Oh Ugggggg, Cheryl"

Quoting:
"Oh Yayyyyy, Cheryl"

Of course, when I actually read the 2 posts I could see that you were addressing different aspects of the issue, but upon 1st glance it looked amusingly contradictory...
...or maybe it's the pain meds. I think everything is strangely amusing to me today and am beginning to wonder if it may be the medication. Please ignore me over the next few days (or weeks) if I sound silly at times.

Edited to add that silliness may be an unexpected side effect of my medication. I am noticing - when I stop to proof my posts - that the total inability to type the correct words is yet another strange side effect here.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 6:23 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

cheryl ..... its the meds. now go lay down.... or whatever position is comfortable.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTF, Terese!

I've been asleep most of the day today. I just check with you guys now and then during the waking moments.

BTW, Widget isn't enjoying my sense of humor today either.

Edited to add: It is interesting how the medicine works. My back still hurts (although not as much), but now everything is funny.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 6:28 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Poor lil Widget.

who snipped him??

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Was a groomer for a long time and razor burn is not fun. Happens a lot with W's breed though. The skin of white dogs is very sensitive. If he will allow you to and you do not think he will lick it off right away put some neosporin on it. Has to be that brand, generic stuff just won't do. Whenever you take little dude in for grooming ask to speak to the groomer that will work with him and specify that you want them to scissor that area and not use clippers and have them write it down on the grooming notes. If he gets razor burn again demand a refund of your money plus vet bills if any. As a groomer I absolutely wanted to know if there was a problem so that it would not be repeated.

You have my complete sympathy regarding your back problems. I have had the surgery for bulging discs and would strongly reccomend it if your dr. agrees. Steroids will help with the inflamation somewhat but will not take care of the underlying problem. Had the surgery several years ago. Healing time was minimal and have not had a problem since.

As far as the communication with Heidi goes I never cease to be amazed. You hit it right on the head when you said she is one amazing little lady.

My raccoon mother must be back, I have yet to see her but have noticed the dogs picking up on it and also the bird feeders are empty each morning. She is very strong! I had put two different types of suet out which she promptly snatched up so I tied the suet holder closed. She was not about to be put off by that. Since she could not open the latch she just bent the side out. Tried to fix it with a pair of pliers and could not budge it myself.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, sorry, you guys

Phrases like 'some stupid human' are eufamisims for 'me'.

The real groomers never cut that area that close. I have this little mini clipper that I've had forever and never use - and should continue in that vane. A little 'accident' the other day prompted me to give the area a little trim. I figured if I got rid of ALL of the hair back there, I could fix the problem for good. Who knew it could go this badly? (It's not all that cute either.) In the future I will be sure to leave well enough alone and stick to the job I am trained to do. Poor little Widget.

Hmmm. This may also be a medication side effect.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl --- i sorta figured.... but didn't want to "blame" you for buzzin' poor lil Widget in the private/tender area.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

I use phrases like "someone" or "some stupid person" when trying not to admit to the crime directly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.