Got snow???

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

We did! Our first! Just two inches, but it's supposed to pile on sleet and freezing rain tonight... EEEWWWW!!!!

Share your precipitation and a photo!

This is from my balcony!

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is a really cute cart and great view. We had just a little today inch or two. Tomorrow is to be ugly, not sure if we will get snow or sleet.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It snowed here all morning, switched to sleet tonight. I hope we don't get a lot of ice but that's what they're forecasting.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Been waiting for snow all winter long - tonite I was 'sposed to meet an old friend I haven't seen in 22 years (thanx Facebook) at BWI - and what do we get? Snow! Needless to say I was a tad miffed :-)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

VWR, I love your cart too. Do you have a photo of it full of blooms? This morning we just got the faintest dusting of snow. Right now it's snowing again & they are calling for ice.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Snowing right now and disappointed this winter not getting the snow they call for... I love snow.....
This is snow dude(my son's kindergarten project) with the most snow we got so far 1/2" or so

Thumbnail by flowAjen
NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

We have seen the ground or grass on our property just about two or three days since the week before Christmas. Even the kids are more or less tired of it.

Punxy Phill is going to have to be dug out of his burrow in order to express his opinion on the following six weeks of winter.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

As a matter of fact, I do!
How's this for giving you spring fever!

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This isn't a very sharp pic. I can't seem to get good ones thru these windows. You should see the # of birds in my yard. This pic just gives you an idea there are many more that are shown in this pic. We only got an inch or two of snow by there is plenty of ice to go around.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

VA- very nice, both pictures.
Its EXTREMELY icy here this AM. Hubby has not gone to work, and he is no road wimp. When I sprinkled salt on the deck I could hear the ice start cracking.
We had a winter awhile ago, with some slushy stuff followed by weeks and weeks of freezing. Seemed like the ice in the parking lots would never go away. Got pretty tired of it.

Oh, Jen- that's very cute for a K project!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 9:21 AM

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

We got just under 3" of actual snow before the sleet & freezing rain began last night. When DH took the garbage can to the street, he said it was really crunchy. This morning, things were totally glazed over. I was glad a trip to Richmond today to tend to aging/ailing mother had been postponed!

Took these shots during the snow yesterday - I missed the really cool shot of 2 wrens & the woodpecker fighting over the suet feeder, but these two turned out OK.

#1 Carolina Wren and Downy Woodpecker facing off. This standoff went on for a fairly long time.

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219

And here's #2 - the woodpecker made the first move (size does matter!), and the wren is looking pretty miffed. I've seen the woodpeckers share the feeder, but the wrens like to have it to themselves.

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great pics Diva!

VA Wild Rose - love the cart with all the flowers - thanks for a nasty case of Spring Fever!!!!

Although I have to say, I agree with Bec - after the last couple of years here, I'm hoping we get at least one good snowfall... and by "good" I mean lots of snow, but snow that doesn't interfere with anyone's major plans, or doesn't cause the power to go out, and just stays nice and white and pretty for a couple of days, then goes quietly away. Think I'm asking too much? ;->

Sorry the snow fouled up your plans, Bec.

flowerjen - adorable Snow Guy - looks very professional!

Thanks, jen. I just wish I could have gotten the shot with the TWO wrens on the feeder. I'm going to be on the lookout today! My mom's digital camera, which I used for these pix, has one of those zooms with image stabilization. It really works well! The suet feeder is at least 30 feet from the window from which I took these pictures.

Barb

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Do the squirrels bother with the suet?

Actually, they didn't in the past, but for the first time in 3 years since we've used the shepherd's crook for the suet, yes. I think it was one particular rogue squirrel, and he'd go right up the very narrow pole to the top and go after the suet this year. So we went to the Wild Bird Center, and got a baffle, and that took care of the problem.

There are suet cakes available with hot pepper in them which the squirrels don't like and the birds can't taste, but they all seem to also include seeds, etc. I prefer just plain suet, which doesn't attract the seed eaters (like house finches & sparrows, etc.)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I had the cutest little downy woodpecker at my suet yesterday. I usually hang a seed/fruit cake and the suet next to each other so the woodpeckers can have dibs on the suet.

Don't forget the recipe I posted for the woodpeckers - peanut butter, corn meal, mix about half and half until it's firm enough to roll into a ball. You can add in peanuts, raisins. Put the balls in leftover mesh bags from produce. You can freeze the extras. The other birds love them too but the woodpeckers really love them.

It's not too bad here now. I'm not sure how much snow we got because it was mixing with rain in the afternoon. I'm sure it was more than 3 inches but not a lot more. We had a about a quarter inch of ice this morning early but it melted off by late morning. The road looks pretty clear and I don't think the plow has been through since early this morning, but I'm sure he was putting down salt and grit too.

I like your definition of a good snow, Daylilydiva. :>)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Have I got snow! Please, someone turn off the snow machine.
Out front window, neighbor snow blowing & teen walking home from school.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Left the girls out the back door, they didn't get very far.

I rescheduled my bone scan today, they said they got a lot of cancels and I was wise to stay home with an hour drive on the interstate. It is bad out there.
Here my back yard.

Love the bird picture, funny how the little ones can be the scrappy ones.
See how deep it is out here?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

My goodness, Chris! We didn't get anything like that. The girls look befuddled. LOL

How are you doing? I'm so sorry you're still having to deal with this.

We were supposed to take Jello to get spayed and get her blood checked for her seizure medicine yesterday but ended up cancelling. Same thing here - everybody was staying home.

Poor Jello, her spaying keeps getting delayed, first while we dealt with Java's cancer surgeries and now by the weather.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, DLD & Lady, your photos are just wonderful. Nothing like a beautiful white world.

Daylilydiva, I think you should put your wren house photos in a folder to save for the contest.

Lady, your girls are soooo cute!

Holly, you just seem to (deservedly) attract the best things in life!

VWRose, your cart looks great. I love the vine trailing through the top. Don't think I've ever seen a vine growing on a cart before.

Jen, Snow Dude is the best!!! Last year I left my lighted Xmas Snowman lit up on his tree stump in the backyard all winter. He was my snow God, just trying to make it happen. Finally at the end of March we got the big one. Stayed around for 2 days, pretty close to DaylilyDiva's wish!! The winter winds and snow conjuring took their toll on my poor snow god. He kept getting decapitated and this year his midsection gave out!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, have you ever gone to see Punxy Phil?

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

PUNXY PHILL lives a bit to the West of where I live in Pa. but we love his part of Pennsylvania as well as where we live. If you have never gone there for the yearly celebration of groundhog day you have missed out on some down home wonderfull small town USA fun. One warning the area sells out of motels years in advance. Make sure you have arrangements or you will be in for a surprise. You may then join me in the annual support of poor ole Phils keeping and get a certified paper that sez you are a member and so on.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

WOW Lady look at all that pretty snow. Easy to say from here. LOL
I am always amazed at how much more snow you get than we do.
VWR, That cart is so cute love it planted, what a nice breath of Spring.
Diva, Great bird shots. We have tons of birds, I try to provide a good habitat for them but I really think it has more to do with the woods behind the house. We use to have more buntings and blue birds than we do now the vacant meadows from the old farm next door have been replaced with a development but we still get some. We have a lot of different Woodpeckers one huge Pileated and some kind of Hawk that comes in for his food, too. You should see the all the birds and squirrels scatter when he shows up.
Stormly, That must have started when I was born. I attracted great parents, they have always been there for me. Especially in my wild youth. LOL Thanks for the kind words.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Lady, those are some beautiful pictures. I miss deep snow! We have had about 1" here so far this year...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

While I might complain about the snow I actually like it very much -

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Paulie Walnuts staying fat & happy.....

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Paulie Walnuts. LOLOLOL Another Sopranos fan.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

We have 4 resident cardinal couples

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Diane - he is aptly named, even has the same personality

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Bec_no_Va, Your photos are just fabulous. The birds are spectacular, but I'm afraid that Paulie Walnuts needs to get wacked!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I have had the same murderous thoughts myself - he has a family as well - they are all VERY much at home on my deck - I did buy a squirrel feeder - which I did not hang up yet, but will come spring ^-^ It is a constant battle making sure I have the feeders filled - between the Walnuts, the mourning doves and the cardinal families they do go through some grub :-)

You hafta admit he is cute as all get out...

Very cold looking Junko -

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous pics all!! Yes took my time getting to work today...snapping pics of ice encased plants/trees etc. when the unspeakable happened...my memory card went bad...yes - it most certainly did. The only redeeming thing is I had uploaded ALL the pics from it to my computer last week...sadly though the video clips of Chloe w/grandma and walking...were on there...

Well, I am taking the day off work, my boss feels better when he knows I'm not out driving on the snowy roads.
Hart, thanks for asking about me, I am feeling pretty good. I think the pills are working. I have more engery, feel like doing more. The test that I'm having will give us a better picture if they are working. And at $2,744.00 a month for pills they better be! Thank goodness I have good insurance!
Bec & Diva, thanks for sharing your outdoor nature pictures, I stopped feeding the birds before winter set in as I knew it would be hard getting out to load the feeder and getting to the store to get food. I did not want them to become dependant on me for food.
This snow was not "Lake Effect" since Lake Erie and the other Great Lakes are now frozen over, and the air is not picking up moisture from the Lake. This was just a plan old snow storm, coming from the south west. They are predicting sun this weekend and then snow again, but not as bad, starting Monday. I just keep telling myself spring is not far away.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm so glad you're feeling better, Chris. And I hope the test shows good news.

The pills they had my father on for his lung cancer at first were something like $25,000 a month and the insurance didn't cover them. That's not a typo. The company that manufactured them, though, agreed to provide them for free.

For each prescription, they would overnight them to him. I know pharmaceutical companies get a lot of bad raps, but this one certainly wore the white hat.

I just got the forecast for next Tuesday, when Jello is rescheduled, and they're calling for snow here again. Aaargh. No details on how much snow.

I think all squirrels have that personality, Bec. LOL It's so odd, we have very few squirrels here and the few we have are very small with much less fuzzy tails than the squirrels I've always seen. I leave the black walnuts for them to chow down on and have never seen one bothering the bird feeders.

hart, that cost of your father's pills doesn't surprise me. I am getting use to seeing high medical bills. They are not a shock like they use to be. I am glad to see that what I hear on TV about drug companies willing to help with prescription drugs is true and not just talk. And my pills are overnighted also if necessary, I do try to call ahead but have been caught off guard a few times.
I just got done adding up my medical mileage for 2008, I traveled a total of 1,578.2 miles, doctor visits, tests and treatments.
I hope Jello gets to her appointment, I am rescheduled for Fri Feb 6th, so I have time for the forecast to change at least a dozen times, LOL. I think I'll ask my Doctor for some long term planing so I can avoid this winter weather, yea, like that will every happen!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

His stuff was horrible. The chemo treatments were $25,000 each and I do mean for one treatment. They were covered.

He also had a special insurance policy to pay for nursing home care but when we needed it, he was unable to talk because of the stroke and Mom couldn't find the papers. It's a lesson that everyone should make sure your loved ones know exactly where to find important papers just in case.

That's a lot of travel! Maybe you could work it out so at least the extra trips like tests are done in warmer weather or at least not snow and ice season.

I was hoping if we get more snow next week it would at least hold off until Wednesday. We have to be there so early in the morning for surgery, they don't have my road cleaned that early. I guess it's going to have to be Wednesday so it won't mess up the roads for your appointment. :>)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.