Philodendron - Pink Princess - Arum Araceae

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

I love the foliage on this philodendron. Does anyone have this plant?

I came across it at our the Botanical Gardens in DC. It's absolutely lovely!!

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Very nice.I dont have one but I sure would like one. Will be on the look out for it.

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

I did a little research and found this philodendron offered for sale at Logees.com. It's referred to as Pink Princess.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I grow it. I've found it to be a surprisingly hale and hearty plant. It does great for me all winter growing slowly in a west window and then it takes off in spring.

I normally have some rooted cuttings to trade by the middle of summer.

Snug as a Bug...I notice you are in Sterling, VA..You should check with Merrifield Gardens (3 locations Gainesville, Between Centreville and Fairfax on Rt 29 or Merrifield. They often have this plant. You may be able to get a 6 inch pot of it for $15-$20.

Susan

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I love this beautiful plant, but it does *not* love me.
I've tried to grow it twice, (or was that three times? LOL!) and it died both times.

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you for your feedback concerning the Pink Princess Philodendron!

Susan, I am familiar with Merrifield Garden Nursery. I actually have been there several times, however, I didn't 'discover' the Pink Princess species of Philo. until recently. I did find it at Logee's and purchased it there for $30. (includes shipping) this past winter 09 -- a bit expensive, I agree.

Nan, I know that this plant does not like to be overwatered. Perhaps, this was your problem? I have mine in a bright west-facing window, and with colder temperataures up north (I purchased it in February), I placed a small seedling heat mat underneath it to keep the roots warm. I know that cold plus very wet roots equals root rot. So far I have been successful.

Here it is on the Dave's plant files/guides:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58994/

Snug, :o)

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Nope...definitely wasn't overwatering, in my case.

Yours is getting a lot more light than mine was, though...so maybe that was the case?

Either way...I'm done with that plant!
I'm glad to hear that yours is doing well, though, and hope it continues to do so.

You're obviously doing right by it! (Ü)

I recall a few others posting in the past that this plant has done well for them.

Anchorage, AK

Wow! Thanks for posting this! I absolutely have to have one LOL! I'm not real keen on the $30 though. If anyone decides to offer it or finds it somewhere please consider contacting me! I can wait, but I must have.......

Anchorage, AK

I did find Terra Nova sells it, they have a list of Retail Nurseries you can check by state & email or call to see if they carry it yet, or maybe will.

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=216

But wait!!! I found this as well...$10! I don't know about you but I'll be buying one! :)

http://www.fleurdeleighgardens.com/le_fleurs.html

This message was edited May 30, 2009 5:31 PM

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

I've been eyeballing this in the Logee's catalogue for some time now,,,I think it will do well in my space. Haven't made the plunge yet though--it's a little pricey. Will check out above link. Thanks!

I think this plant is a bit diva-ish! I'm on my second plant. I'm thinking it should be kept evenly moist with lots of humidity. Anyway, I'll see. I found a 12 inch tall plant in a 6 inch pot for $25.00 at Merrifield Gardens.

S

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

In my experience growing it, keeping it constantly moist would be a problem, especially during the cooler months. The roots can be prone to rot. I've found it does best with the soil on the drier side and the humidity kept high.

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree with Kubileya, my experience with this plant is to keep it on the dry side. I water it from the bottom and when the container is empty of water, I know it's roots have been watered even though the dirt on the top of the container is dry. I am no expert, however, so far my plant has been growing successfully. I also have warm air mist humidifiers to mimic a tropical environment.

This philodendron presented an interesting condition/phenomenon of leaf droplets that I inquired about in a different thread--take a look in the thread below:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/997916/

New Castle, IN

Pink Princess is gorgeous. I'm especially partial to Philodendrons. Kubileya I would love to have a cutting. Trade buy or whatever.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree with mayniac69. It is absolutely gorgeous. I have been wanting this plant for the past two years. Then someone sent me a cutting and it was doing fine but then when I moved I had to get rid of it. I am hoping that I will run across one for sale in my area soon.

Jesse

Anchorage, AK

Gasp! You got rid of it??? Didn't you hold it to your chest and say "Sorry but NO this one is coming with me if I have to tuck it in my under garments!"

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I moved overseas and I could not take it with me. I was so sad to have to leave it behind. I had to leave behind over 200 plants and and a greenhouse when I moved. I sure do miss them but maybe one day I will get a lot of them again.

Jesse

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Jesse! You're back!? (Ü)
Do you live in Dallas, now?

Good to see you posting again...hope all is well!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello Nan,

Yes I live in Dallas now. And boy am I glad to be back. I guess living abroad is okay for some people but not for me. I just did not adapt to living in a different country very well. So I am back now. And so thankful to be back.

So how are you doing? It has been a long time since I last talked to you. I hope things are going well for you.

Jesse

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

We're OK, Jesse.....could be better, could be worse, ya' know! (Ü)

Welcome back to the good ole US...good to have you back.

As for this Philodendron...mine did OK for a while, but eventually met their demise.
I do think it needed more light during the winter months than I was able to provide, and considering it was lacking adequate light during those winter months....I've a feeling I over-watered, as well.

I envy those of you who are successfully growing it indoors!

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have one with 2 more on the way. Thanks for the tip and I will watch the watering this winter.

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello all! Since my last note, my Pink Princess has grown quite a bit. (See pic below) I have had it indoors with plant lights on top - I always water from the bottom to direct the roots downward. It's very important to remember that this plant does not like to be too wet. Snug, :o)

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Anchorage, AK

Fabulous! Thanks for posting a new pic for us to drool on! :)

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

gasrocks,

Can you tell me where you got yours from? Did you order yours from somewhere online? I would like to know so that maybe I could order one also.

Thanks,
Jesse

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Another member asked so I took a pix of my Pink Princess.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Gasrocks,

I love your plant. She is so pretty. So where did you get her from?

Jesse

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Plantcrazil: FYI - it's a bit pricey, but Logees sells the plant: http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R2243-4

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Snug,

Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely keep that on my wish list and maybe one day I will be able to afford one.

Jesse

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Plantcrazii - I do not remember. Got it last Spring. I have 3 more on the way to me from 2 different sellers. If any look good, I'll report so.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks a lot gasrocks. Please let me know if those are really nice and how much they are, if that is okay with you. I really do want to get one if I can.

Jesse

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

After waiting 3 weeks for my plants to arrive and nothing, I emailed the seller who now says they might get some out later. I cancelled the order. Won't recommend them to anyone. On my other order (different seller) my Pink Princess arrived and it is great. I ordered more from that seller. When those arrive (and look good) I'll post the name of that seller.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, I am done buying Pink Princess for a while. Now have 8. Hey, when I like something I gotta have more than one. On eBay, mda1515, great seller. Nice healthy plants and at a good price. My new plants dwarf the first one I had (and took a pix of.) Hope this helps someone.

(Zone 1)

Beautiful Pink Princesse's Snug and gasrocks! I got a teeny one in trade a few years ago and it didn't survive. I have another one that was given to me by a friend here on DG a few moths ago. My plant doesn't have any of the vivid pink color. I'm hoping to learn what this plant likes so I can grow it well. I dropped the entire pot on the deck a few days ago and smashed one of the branches but the plant seems to be okay.

How do you all grow yours? Hanging basket, trained on a trellis or totem? I wish I could find the tall coir type totem poles that used to be in the stores years ago. I keep thinking I can make something with spaghnum moss and chicken wire but I never seem to get around to actually doing it.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Some debate on what causes the colors. I'll bet on the more light the less need for green approach. Do not overwater in the winter, or while it is kinda dormant. I am not a fan of hanging plants in general, only have 5. I can see the need for a pole to climb on. Not sure it has to be a special pole. Most of my Philos send out ariel (sp?) roots that I direct into their own pot. Seem to work ok.

(Zone 1)

Yes, I have a few Philo's like that get lots of aerial roots shooting out all over. I try to re-direct them back down into their own pot too.

LOL, I have a lot of hanging plants. My husband devised a really good hanging pole system on the pool deck for me last spring! Before he did this I had plants hanging from plants, hanging from plants!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

Here's Philodendron Autumn showing a couple of little aerial roots.

(Zone 1)

And I think you can see some of the aerial roots on this P. Rojo Congo, that I still haven't planted in the ground! It's so root bound it has roots growing out the bottom of the pot and some of the aerial roots coming off the sides have found their way to the ground below.

(Zone 1)

I posted this picture a couple of days ago, showing one of the tree like Philo's with aerial roots ... well, I guess technically they aren't aerial roots anymore when they finally find their way to the soil? Anyway, this one is planted in an area that no longer has irrigation system to it, so it only gets watered when it rains. The roots have gotten so huge and are running underneath the wood deck.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Snug, I've passed up a few Pink Princesses as I am just running out of room. They are very pretty plants. I have a good size Prince of Orange and am always looking at the colorful Philo. I too first saw the PoO at a Conservatory and had to search to find one. Luckily I found two of them in a 4 inch pot at one of the nurseries for about $5. They were the only ones in the area at the time. I could swear that I saw Pink Princesses (or something pretty similar) at HomeDepot or Lowes this past summer.
Lin, Love those hanging plants, That looks very nice. LOL on the plants hanging from plants. Right now I have a Stag-horn hanging from a Hoya. The Mandevilla below them is trying to vine it's way up and already has one tendril attached to the stag-horn pot

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.