What is your source for houseplants?

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I used to have so many houseplants. You know that kind that you only see in pots in someone's house. I do not know how to explain it. Most of my plants were starts from friends and relatives. Some were purchases from yardsales. When we decided, many years ago, to move 400 miles the plants were given away. I knew that even if they survived the trip I would not have the time to care for them. We bought 20 acres of land that had nothing on it, not even a well. I was never able to rebuild my collection and have always missed them. The only real place around here to buy anything is Walmart. I guess that is enough said about source for plants locally. Great place to buy shampoo but not what I am looking for.
Does anyone have an internet source for what would traditionally be considered a house plant?

North Augusta, ON

I've had good luck with e-bay, and being in Canada that is saying a lot!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Logee's has a really nice selection--not sure that they're the same type of plants that you're after but they definitely have some nice things. www.logees.com

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I have too many house plants , but always look at what they have at Lowe's they have the ordinary but also surprises quite often . Some times I rescue something on the clearance rack.

Danville, IN

To find good sources in your area, use the tab at the top of the page called "Products and Sources" then click on "Go Gardening". You just have to choose Garden Centers and enter your zip code to get a list of places, most with member feedback. I've found this very helpful.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

I've gotten a lot of mine from trades here on DG.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I get most of mine locally at various places. Some orchids that I have I ordered online.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Also try ebay--but be careful of bidding wars and shipping costs.
Logee's is #1 on my list, followed by a couple of local, long established greenhouses. We have the CT. every Feburary- a good resource. And, I'm not too proud to pick up the occasional find at Home Depot! Almost every plant grouphas a society and publication--Goggle it.
Good Luck^_^

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

We do not have a home depot. We really only have Walmart. I snag what I can when I can. I will have to look at logees when I start getting regular paychecks again. Right now it has been every other week layoffs at work. They are without pay. That is supposed to change in February. I want to find some good sources online to take advantage of when the weather improves enough for shipping them.

Beebe, AR(Zone 7b)

Glasshouse Works also has unique plants as does Plant Delights

Danville, IN

Logee's is absolutely wonderful, with great plants. I've been very pleased with them, and all of the plants from them are doing just super. Once you order and get on their email list, they keep sending you notices of specials and sales. Very nice.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Hoosier--if you ever get a chance to go there....it's an experience!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I am looking forward to placing my first order to Logees soon. Too many people have said nice things about them. I must give them a try. The prices are a little steep for me right now. In a few weeks I may do it. The weather won't be condusive to shipping plants til then anyway.

Danville, IN

For anyone ordering from Logee's, I would recommend trying the Giant Thai Euphorbias. They are spectacular. You can order any of three sizes. They are semi-rooted cuttings, root quickly, and start blooming in just weeks. The colors are spectacular. I think they are on sale now, too. I've also ordered jasmine and some tropical blooming vines. All were large and healthy when they arrived. Note: For winter shipping, they use a great heat-pack that allowed my plants to be shipped in the middle of December without any damage whatsoever.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I don't have enough trouble resisting temptaion and now got to go an encourage me LOL. I will go take a look. Thanks.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Glasshouseworks and Logees are the best for houseplants as far as online vendors.
Rob's Violets, Lydon Lyon and Gary's Out of Africa are the best for Gesneriads.

I got most of my houseplants locally, though.

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

I buy most of my houseplants at Sobey's supermarket.They have nice houseplants.I bought this gardenia the other day,It is covered with buds.

Thumbnail by agedgardener

Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Ebay, Logee's, Taylor's Greenhouses, Merrifield Gardens, etc etc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.