Anyone practice companion planting or guild gardening?

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I do not think we can ever be pest free but I think we can minimize the damage and loss. I am willing to share a little but I would like to see a decent harvest.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Here's a new article on planting Columbines with Irises.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2091/

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Interested!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

thanks for posting teri. Hopefully if more folks show an interest we can get an actual companion planting forum. DG does not think there is enough interest for one.

Pretoria, South Africa

I would love to try companion planting this coming season. I have a rather small space that I can use for vegetables as the rest of the garden doesn't get enough sun. Apart from the obvious advantages as far as pest control goes, I would love to be able to harvest as much as possible, and as great a variety of veggies as possible.
I am going to start planning on my winter garden straight away... Will keep you posted.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Gardening in a small space is a challenge if you don't think outside the normal box. We seem to work against ourselves by following planting techniques used by the big guys who have to leave room for their big planters and harvestors. In our home garden, we do not use these big machines. With careful planning, it is possible to have great yields in small spaces.

Pretoria, South Africa

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

What did you have in mind to plant and why? Are you trying to feed a family? I am not real familiar with your soils and weather but the same rules apply no matter what you are growing. Some plants prefer shade, some like lots of sun, some want plenty of water and others want to be kept on the dry side. I can give you suggestions but maybe you do not like brussel sprouts as much as I like them LOL. What did you have in mind?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm a novice at all of this, but I just attended a "spring vegetable garden" workshop tonight. The instructor said she hates radishes but she always plants some because they come up fast and keep the bugs busy munching on the leaves so the bugs don't pick on the other stuff trying to come up through the soil. Then at 21 days, the radishes are ready to pick, leaving a handy hole form some other transplant to take its place. Makes sense to me.

Elsa123, my yard is pretty shady too. I've got one small bed that may or may not be able to get enough sun (we'll see!), and then a couple other sunny spots and a relatively sunny patio (no roof). So I'm thinking about containers a lot -- hanging baskets, floor pots, window boxes, etc. I'm using a couple of large heavy soil bags to try to grow potatoes in.

For the smaller plants I just picked up 6 pots at a yard sale that are meant to attach to vertical rain gutters (they have little plastic "belts" attached to them) but I am hanging them on the lattice sides of our patio and putting lettuce, spinach and scallions in them.

Just some thoughts.
LiseP

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Suggestions for maximizing the yield of any vegetable garden: http://hgtv.com/decorating/maximum-veggies/

More ideas for vegetable gardening in a small area:
http://hgtv.com/landscaping/contain-your-veggies/ (container-grown veggies in a small, shady area)
http://hgtv.com/landscaping/urban-rooftop-gardens/ (urban rooftop gardens)
http://hgtv.com/landscaping/gardening-on-a-houseboat/ (gardening on a houseboat)
http://hgtv.com/landscaping/balcony-and-deck-gardening/ (balcony & deck gardening)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

In the theme of this thread and a diversion to the container vegetables, these are a few recommended container companion plants.

Quoting:
Good Companions in Containers

Beans, carrots, squash
Eggplant, beans
Tomatoes, basil, onions
Lettuce, herbs
Spinach, chard, onions

Combinations to Avoid

Beans with onions and garlic
Carrots with dill or fennel
Tomatoes or squash with potatoes
Onions with beans and peas

Also vegetable containers can have underplantings of herbs.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

In regards to trap crops, such as radishes: Once the bugs start showing up, you can't just leave them unattended - or can you? Would you use your normal methods for eliminating them?

Seems like if you just let them go, they'd multiply quickly, run out of radish leaves, and spread to the rest of your garden. I'm interesting in using trap crops, so any information you can provide is appreciated.

Indy_V: I'm not too sure about radishes, but nasturtiums are an infamous trap crop for aphids. For whatever reason, the little bugs just LOVE nasties and seem to prefer them to everything else. At the same time, the nasties seem to thrive covered with aphids. Not too attractive, but they never seem to exhaust the leaves and move on. I admit, however, that I have been known to pull up dozens of aphid-covered nasturtium plants midway through the season, feed them and their little guests to the garden fire, and put out new plants!!!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Potagere, I do the same thing. Nastutium seeds are something that start lots of so I have plenty to move around.

OK, gang, Question: I am now planning my summer garden. I see from some sources that aubergines/eggplants like beans and peppers; that beans like eggplants. All 3 like a pH of around 6.0 to 7.0, need regular watering and fairly high amounts of NPK. So, assuming I have a bed that is 80 cm wide and 180 cm long, could I plant 4 aubergine plants along the 40 cm centre axis at 25 cm, 70 cm, 115 cm and 160 cm; then 2 rows of 5 chiles, each parallel to the row of eggplants, each 12 cm in from the edges of the bed, at 33 cm, 62 cm, 91 cm, 120 cm and 149 cm; and finally 2 parallel rows of 6 bush beans at 26 cm from the edges of the bed (i.e. 14 cm off the center line) positioned to be in the "interstices" between the chile plants and between the end chile plants and the long ends of the bed?

Crowded, I know, but my "potager" is made up of intensively planted beds of either 80cm X 180 cm or 180cm X 180 cm with rough stone walkways between them.

Do you thinkj this combo would work? Should I plant just 4 bush beans in each row with 2 marigolds/tagetes in each row to deal with aphids (which attack the beans but have never bothered either eggplant or peppers in my garden)?

No, kathy, I refuse to put the nasturtiums right in there; I keep them on the edge. I'm AFRAID to mix them in too deeply. I do love my beans so much!

Jim

Clarkson, KY

I'm having trouble visualising enough room for the bush beans...pole beans, yes...but...if the peppers coul be convinced to grow out toward the edges....hmmm.

Thanks for thinking about this and commenting, grownut!
I'm a bit afraid that pole beans would grow up and shade the chiles and aubergines. (And of course, I would also need poles or netting.) On the other hand, I was hoping the bush beans might shade the soil, help retain moisture and keep down weeds, kind of like the closely planted lettuces do in my onion beds. [I always have more lettuce than I can eat or even give away, because I really use a lot of it as "weed control" in the onion, garlic and shallot beds!]

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

If the pole beans are on the north side/end, they should not be much of a shade problem.

Clarkson, KY

How big do your peppers get? If they are of a type smaller than the bush beans you may be able to move them slightly (provided you can still walk between the beds I would think even 10-12 cm in from the side would work with good soil) closer to the edge of the bed to allow them to hang over the side. My bush beans also do very well toppled---never intentionally, but somehow there are always 1 or 2 that get tipped, pulled or something and yet still thrive...

Another option I just thought of (and again you know your varieties and options in ways I don't so this may be further out there than I think...) is to plant more rows but on a diagonal. Say 2 eggplant/aubergines at each end [ /]with peppers along the fronts at similar spacing to your above post and filling in with beans. There should be enough space really...but I am a chronic sufferer from Should-be-enough-space-itis...LOL. Good luck.

Can't really do that in this layout, Kathy. And I have 2 rows. Also, if they were to the north, they'd shade that further north row of chiles.

Grownut, you know, I even made a diagram in MS-Word (I'm not a computer nifty, especially when it comes to drawings/graphics) so I could copy it to show what I meant. Well, I made it, but could not copy it --- only its disparate elements!
All that just to say, I just cannot visulaize what you are suggesting!!!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Grownut, I also am a chronic sufferer from Should-be-enough-space-itis. Sometimes it works. Sometimes I have to get the shovle and make enough space but sometimes....

Clarkson, KY

Something like this...

Thumbnail by grownut
Clarkson, KY

I was thinking of this in terms of utilizing light and corners to get extra space around plants--I may be totally out there...

You've moved further outside the box than I. That's an interesting arrangement. Any measurements? (I won't even ask you to teach me how you did this! It's just what I wanted to do!)

In general, do you foresee any problems with the plant mix?

Clarkson, KY

Seems like the mix should work well, though I'm not the Wiz there...

As to measurements -I would probably divide my box into 6 sections, say 40x60cm, then set the eggplants, draw imaginary lines and go. I'm good at geometry I don't have to prove... ^_^

Thumbnail by grownut

Thanks, portagere. I heard the thing about nasturtiums and picked up some seeds. I'll probably get more as well. So glad to be able to do stuff with as few nasty chemicals as possible!

Thanks, grownut. I'll have to think about that, as the 2 "middle" aubergines look a bit close to me.
Like the concept, though!

This is the best work we can do here : helping one another work stuff out. Then we can see what works and what fails!

Learning is always good. At least it is for me!

Cheers,
Jim

Clarkson, KY

It wasn't really well placed -I did them too close -oversimplifying...
but I spent years living in small spaces so I've gotten a bit used to funky layouts...;-)

I LOVE the idea of growing my own capers!!!

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

How do you make garden plans with MS Word? I have some old plans I made with Appleworks but couldn't figure out how to duplicate them in Word. I even downloaded a garden plan program but am having trouble making it do what I want, which is to give me rows and movable varieties for rotations from year to year.

For squash, I have battled borers and squash bugs for years. This past summer I planted garlic by the rows where I planned to put my zucchini and grew Greyzini, among others, which is so prolific that I actually got plenty of squash for a longer time than ever. At the same time I used silver plastic mulch, to deter the beasties, and nasturtiums, which have never been enough to guarantee me some veggies but maybe help. Row covers until the plants blossom also make a difference, but I didn't use them this past year. So - was it the garlic, the nasturtiums, the silver mulch? I have also used radishes but they didn't seem to do the trick; maybe if I planted them in combination with some of the other measures....

I have been wondering about raspberries and tomatoes. This past summer my rotation plan placed the tomato tripods (à la French potagers) next to the raspberry beds, and neither did very well, although the tomatoes in the next row farther away were fine. I grew Marmande and was totally underwhelmed, maybe because of the raspberry neighbors. I have wondered whether there's an antipathy between those two but haven't been able to find anything about it on the web.

I always interplant my tomato tripods with basil, marigolds, and - just for the color - Victoria Blue salvia. Since I've never experimented I don't know if they make a difference but everything seems healthy in that combination.

I haven't found anything except rotenone that allows my eggplants to shrug off flea beetles long enough to become productive, and I hate using it. I haven't tried beans.

Leslie

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

We are trying to get a companion planting thread established and hopefully show enough interest to convince the powers that be that there is enough interest for a companion planting forum. If you would like to share information or pick up some information on companion planting come on over
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/952712/#new

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I know; I came here from there! I posted the same message again in the other link, but it does get confusing having the same information in two forums.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

that is why we want a forum devoted toatlly to it.

Clarkson, KY

GG --I'd love it if you just started your own thread -here and there. The more threads we have going, the more discussions they produce.

Rosie -I've planted the Nappa (bok choy) for years. Flea beetles get to it every blessed time!! I'm wondering if planting something that flea beetles hate but which like brassicas might not be beneficial? Dang! Wrong thread!!

Ashland, MT(Zone 4a)

greenhouse_gal,

Not sure if you need a spreadsheet or a word processing document, but there are many ways to use MS Word or Excel.

I use spreadsheets and word processing documents. It depends. I used the word processing document as a diary and the spreadsheet to keep information in tabular form.

I would be happy to help but don't know for sure what you would like to do.

I've been looking for garden-planning software as well, but I haven't found anything that seems to do what I want it to do. For the garden layout, I'd decided to use Excel like others here are doing. But after doing a quick mockup for greenhouse gal, I think I'll switch to Word, which I'm more proficient with.

Word has an excellent tables tool, which a lot of people don't use. I like it because it gives me more control over the layout of the document. And you can show or hide any borders you like, so the people looking at it don't necessarily know that they're looking at a table. Attached is a picture of what I came up with really quickly. The blue dashed lines don't print.

greenhouse gal, you mentioned tomato tripods. If you have a picture of that setup, I'd love to see it. Can you use bamboo stakes, or do you need something stronger? You plant the basil and marigolds around the outside, but try to avoid shading them? Tomato staking is on my list of things to look up on Dave's garden . . . so much to do!

I don't know about your raspberries, but it sounds like you've found an incompatible set.

Thumbnail by dividedsky
Clarkson, KY

I've done Appleworks but not the others ---no help AT ALL...;-(

Ashland, MT(Zone 4a)

Here is one that I use for keeping track of my seeding, expected germination date etc.

Thumbnail by wthex
Ashland, MT(Zone 4a)

Here is another that I use as a journal. I've linked them all together via hyperlinks.

I use OpenOffice software btw.

Thumbnail by wthex

Wow, wthex! That's impressive.

For those of you who want to discuss the software you use for gardening, please go to http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953125/ There are some great examples in this thread, so I hope you guys will jump over to that thread and share your samples and comments. Having it all in one thread helps those of us who use the search tool on DG.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.