Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are sweet Karen.
Here's the line up
Direct wintersown in various gardens:
Annual Poppies:
WINTERSOWED

POPPY SOMNIFOLEUM RED IN WITH CROCOSMIA BETYSNORTH WESTSIDE
POPPY SHIRLEY BETTYS NORTH EAST SIDE BEHIND OP’s
Wildflowermix seedballs in CHATHAM RD GRDN SCARLET FLAX,BLACKEYED SUSAN AND PLAINS COREOPSIS

FRONT OF LIVINGROOM GARDEN
DOUBLE SHIRLEYS from Territorial Seeds

SHIRLY POPPIES FROM JONNAS
SOW ON BETTYS WEST NEAR YARROW AND ROSES

PAPAVAR COMMUTATUM LADYBIRD IN RECTANGLE PLANTER ON DECK

Herloom poppies in front of bear carving

JERSEY CREAM AT EDGE OF PATH NEAR HONEYMOON TULIPS

VENUS WITH RASPBERRY MONARDA

YELLOW MIABEANUMS ON TOP OF ALLIUM KARAVATENS NEWSHADE
WHITE LINEN OVER ALLIUMS MOLLYJENEANNE
ORIENTAL POPPIES START INSIDE:
Coral Reef from Jonnas
Royal Wedding - One Stop Poppy Shop
Fancy Feathers - One Stop Poppy Shop

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Has anyone ever successfully sowed "dusty miller?"

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

not me

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

ge1836: direct sowing is not the same as wintersowing. Have you seen Trudi's site?
http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/How_to_Winter_Sow.html

Wintersowing is done outside, in covered, vented containers.

Here's a picture of my first wintersown poppy sprouts, March 3, 2006. They were wintersown in January, transplanted out into beds in early April. They love the cold weather.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

And I think this is a good reference on poppies, too.
http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Life_of_a_Poppy_Bed.html

Karen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ive saved both of those links, thanks for being so helpful.

Kannapolis, NC

Woo hoo, I now have Oriental poppies, `Brilliant' sprouted! This stuff really works! I'm so excited!!! Can you tell by all the exclamation points? Yayyyy!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I loved the color, a real wowser

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Zone envy again.

I just finished sowing some California Poppies. Also did
Gaillardia Arizona Sun
Trailing snapdragon (only had a few seeds of these, hope they sprout)
Petunia, 2 jugs (loved the purple Laura Bush last year)
Double rudbeckia
Rudbeckia Becky.

I think that's all, I forget :-)

Karen

Kinderhook, NY(Zone 5b)

Hey Karen (kqcrna): I have Arizona Sun Gaillardia in my zone 5 garden and it re-seeds like crazy. It is beautiful, long-lasting and so easy and dependable. You will love it.

I am intriqued by the Poppy discussion -- I don't know much about them, but I was contemplating a seed packet in Lowes yesterday, but put it back. What have you had the most success with? The picture you posted above is so beautiful. Can I do that too? :)

Lisa

Thumbnail by sandstreet
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

That was very good information for wintersowing poppy seeds.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I've done the Flanders, "Angel's Choir", some opium, and Icelandic. They do well for me in spring while temps are cool, but they don't like the intense heat (or humidity?) in my yard in summer. My Icelandics mostly died out after their second year when we had our worst heat and drought ever. (2007)

This will be my first experience with the Californias. Some of my online friends say they tolerate the heat much better than some of the others.

Karen

Kannapolis, NC

Today I sowed the following:

Tomato `Old German'
Rhubarb `Victoria'
Onion green bunching (direct seeded outdoors)
Shallots (direct seeded outdoors)
Lettuce: Grand Rapids and Granada (direct seeded outdoors)
Arugula (direct seeded outdoors)
Cucumber `Sumter'
Decorative dahlias (3 bulbs)
Agapanthus `Danube Blue'

My table in the sunroom/porch is getting full of things and the patio is looking ragged with cardboard boxes starting to fall apart. I have the rhubarb and blueberries I planted last week sitting on the patio table, so it's looking a little like Tobacco Road, but it'll be worth it come spring/summer! I can taste those tomatoes already. Yum!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I have been dithering about tomatoes -- have four kinds I want to sow, but when, oh when? Decided to wait til early March.......... right now it is snowing up a blizzard out there, I don't know if tomatoes would be too happy. I know the Wintersown folks offered a few cold climate tomato varieties for wintersowing but I did not take that offer...... Angie, good for you, nice that you have a situation you can direct sow in! ;-)

Kannapolis, NC

Thanks, Kyla. I'm hoping to be able to set out those tomatoes mid-April and will baby them along. I have some peat pots that I figure I can transfer them into for growing into more mature plants before then. I haven't figured out why I have seeds of tomato `Old German' as its picture doesn't look like something I would have bought, but there it is. I'm going to post on the tomato thread and see if someone has tried this one and what it's like. I may be wasting my time.

Angie

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

Can't remember last year when I first started wsowing annuals but I think it was somewhere around the first week in March.. Does that sound right for Z5b? Guess I could check my records. I surely wrote a note or something about what I planted when.

Havelock, Canada

Hemophobic - What zone are you? I know that some people don't pay much attention to zones but I can't get my head around not worrying about zones especially when I am thinking tomatoes.

How important is zone when you are planning when to plant things that aren't as hardy as other plants? Sunflowers is another thing I wonder about. When is it safe and why the heck am I still scared? LOL

Elaine and Otis

Kannapolis, NC

Elaine: I'm in zone 7. Let me clarify that the tomatoes I started indoors. I have a sunroom and I have them sown in pots there, not outdoors with my WS containers. Oh, and I have oriental poppies sprouting as of today!

Angie

Havelock, Canada

Congrats Angie! You is a Mama - LOL

Elaine and Otis

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, GB. I do have a long list of 'must haves' as well. Hoping I get plenty of plants from all these seeds.

I have a bunch of foxglove that came up from seed in my gardens last year. Moved them all to one area, and they are thriving. Should put on a big show this year. And with my new ones that will be coming up this year that I've WSed, next year will be even better. I can't wait!!!!

Karen

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Lisa (Sandstreet) if you are intrigued by poppies, you should check out OneStopPoppyShoppe in the DG marketplace. I ordered a few poppies from her, and she's got some stunning ones! Super quick turn-around, and she threw in some freebies, too.

I haven't sown them yet, so I guess I can't attest to their viability, but I was really pleased with the transaction!

Still dragging my feet on getting my WSing done. We've had temps in the 50-60's this week, and I was afraid to start them when it was so warm, for fear they'd germinate quickly and then freeze when we head back to the 20-30's next week! At least I got my holes drilled in my jugs. Has anyone ever sown in the waxed cardboard half-gallon containers? We buy soy milk in those, and I have three set back.

The other thing I wish I'd saved was a bunch of ice cream buckets. The PTO did an ice cream social this last fall, and I saved out about 5 of the buckets before they recycled. Now I wish I'd saved them all. Wouldn't those be great WSing containers? They even have handles! I could drill some sizable holes in the lids & smaller holes in the bottoms, and they'd be as translucent as the milk jugs. They'd also be easier to stack for storage in the "off" season. There's always next year!

Angie (Booker, not Hemophobic!)

edited to add the link to the Garden Watchdog on OneStopPoppyShoppe--there is a link to her webpage from there.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/7047/

This message was edited Feb 10, 2009 10:13 PM

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Here is my measly little list of what I have WS so far.
Jan 13:
3 Baskets Sweet Peas
1 Red Poppies
2 Shirley Poppies
1 Ratibida column Mexican Hats
1 Tecoma stan Yellow Bells
2 Rudbeckia hirta
1 Rudbecia fulgida

Jan 27:
1 Nasturtium Peach Melba
1 Salvia virdis Marble Arch Rose
1 Agastache Honey Bee White
1 Yarrow Gloria Jean
7 Sunflower Moulin Rouge (I planted these in toilet paper rolls, will plant them tube and all)
1 Nepeta
1 Echinacea Harvest Moon
1 Double Decker
1 Ruby Star
1 Merlot
1 White Swan
1 Salvia coccinia
2 Lathyrus Blue Grass Pea
4 Great Blue Lobelia

I have so many more to do, but at least I have a start on it! I now have my seeds all sorted and ready to go. No more procrastinations!
Here is a picture of some of my containers,

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Bookerc I ordered from One Stop Poppies and had the same experience. She is delighted to be listed on Daves Garden and has a easy to read package. I like the photo lables.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

wow - you all have been busy. I noticed a question about sowing in the gallon containers. I made this up last year. I hope it helps - http://www.lakehousecreations.com/wintersowing_directions.htm . I also noticed questions about marking pens for the containers. I like the paint pens which can be purchased at any craft store.

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Pens for marking garden tags [I guess you could use it for the containers] - I've used this marker for several years and the tags have held their color since the beginning and they have been out all year long. I mean, they have held their color since I wrote them out several years ago with no fading.

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Kannapolis, NC

Lynn: That's a great start. No need to apologize for that at all. Some nice plants there, too.

I have to share that some of the plant stakes I used last fall have completed disintegrated! They were like a vinyl, but they must have been vinyl coated wooden stakes because not only is the print completely gone but the two I pulled up yesterday to check the species fell apart in my hands! Drat! Don't remember the brand either as I used all of the packet I had.

Anita: Where did you get your paint pens?

Angie G

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Lynn, that's a pretty long list, if you ask me. Longer than my little list of just 14.

Karen

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

Lynn, what a great list! And I love your photo of containers - when everything starts coming up, it'll look like you have a blooming pantry!

-GB

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Anita -- i think i'd like those "thin tipped" markers over the wider tips that i have. I know Bev [dragonfly] found a place on line ... i should just buy a bunch.

Booker -- yes, those Ice Cream buckets are VERY nice for WS'ing. I just found an old one that i used 2 yrs ago in the garage yesterday... no lid, but i've got those laying around too. They are nice and deep, and the handle is a bonus.
We dont eat ice cream around here much anymore.... so i don't have any new ones.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

The paint pens I get at Michaels and AC Moore. I've seen them online at Dick Blick as well.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I may check our MIchaels... if i'm ever out that way ... to check their prices.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Elaine,

Did you fine the paint pens?

Carol

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Time to start a new thread . . . .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/951943/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.