2009 - What have you sown so far... #2

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

We came from here.... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/934434/

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Kannapolis, NC

I'm here.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have to get busy. Wow! I've only done 3 or 4 compared to JonnaSudenuis how many?....
HIbiscus and some passionflower

Nutsfordaylily, I saw that you will wintersow your poppies. I thought those had to be planted directly to the ground. This will be my first year planting poppies, please give pointers.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Lili -- we've talked about about poppies... just not sure if it was in the thread series or not... but Poppies are fine to WS, they just do not like their roots disturbed.

Karen said she plants hers out early -- as soon as she can get into the ground...
and i checked my spreadsheet and saw that mine [last year] went out Memorial Day weekend.

IF you do the HOS method... you really do not have to futz with the roots at all .... Some do like peat or cow pots and just sink that right into the ground. You can do it when they are small... just if they are established, dont move them. I did that once... it was a volunteer from the previous years seeds, that grew in the path where the kids ride ... so i moved it and it quickly died.

HTH

Terese

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Okay got the free seeds from wintersow.org today.....kindof excited to participate in documenting for others.

On the form it has a spot for Approximate Germination Percentage.....what exactly does that mean? Should I count the seeds and approximate how many plants grew from those seeds?

I also 'caved' and used some recyclable containers. Several reasons...one I felt this was part of the point of WSing. Partly I shop at Sams for fruits and veggies and they come in this nifty pre vented clear veggie containers....so I am using those. And it is still tidy looking. ;)

I am really looking forward to Spring.

Teresa, it's my understanding you wait until the evening temp is above freezing to DS? I ds my zinnia too.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Lili -- it may depend on the seed. Poppies do not seem to be bothered by the cold. IF you have a seed pack [commercial] it usually says on the back. I do not direct sow too much because the critters seem to eat a lot of it.

If it is a plant i really want, i will WS it, or grow it in a pot later to be transplanted .. that way the birds, bunnies or squirrels can't get to them first.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

I have winter sown the zinnias....so we for sure need to compare notes. I have never done any of the seeds before so I finally just decided to treat most of them the same and WS all of them.

With the kiddos and house work I have not WS all of them at one time but used no guide as to which and when.

Basically I was getting overwhelmed and was afraid I would just not do any if I didnt just make a decision. I am so interested in how your zinnias turn out and what you did.....compared to what I am doing.

This is really cool!

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

Today was the day for my fist containers! YAY!

I had a little help from all 5 kiddos, and I intended to do a lot more, but oh well. I started.

Here is what I have done so far:

Monarda Fistulosa - Wild Bergamot
Celosia Argentea v. spicata - Wheat Straw Celosia
Erysimum hieraciifolium - Siberian Wallflower
Sweet Alyssum
Spinach

Henygirl- I kind of am with you, I just had to grab some stuff and go for it. I was over-thinking things and hadn't done anything so here goes. I have mostly stuff that will wintersow anyway. I am keeping a spreadsheet and have entered in all my info and now the dates I have sowed containers and the container #.

5 down, 140 to go WOO HOO!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Poppy seeds NEED the cold. What kind of poppies are you sowing? Please let me know how your zinnas, and cosmos do. I don't start mine until later because a frost always kills them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. You may already know this but I just want to remind everyone that Foxglove is poisonous. It wouldn't stop me from growing it (if it would grow here) but I just thought I would pass that along.
Lisa

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Did a WS program last night at Garden Club and sowed milkweed. Members were intriqued by the whole process.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cool! :-)

Sonoita, AZ(Zone 8a)

I am collecting milk jugs for the kids in my daughter's kindergarden class to WS. I figure miniture sanpgragons would be quick & hardy for them to try. Any feed back or suggestions?

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

What would you go?

DD and I filled 20 jugs with soil yesterday (3 short of total needed for Feb 1 WSing) and had a ton of fun. Woohoo!

BUT, it was sort of an impulsive thing because we had nice weather and I just happened to have a bag of soil and we were outside and it just happened. Then, once I had all 20 filled, I started to wonder if the soil was the best. It's sort of mulchy - it's MG organic garden soil. I remember tcs sending my a link to a WS soil discussion, but I've misplaced it and am now concerned that this isn't great stuff for this purpose. I have other things I could use this soil for, so it wouldn't be wasted if I started over, I have time, and DD (ok, and me too...) had so much fun playing in the dirt I wouldn't mind doing it again. Would you start over, and what would you use?

Thanks for your thoughts!

-GB and MiniBeaner

Thumbnail by GreenerBeaner
Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

Sonoita, Snap dragons were my absolute favorite flower as a kid. Once my Dad taught me how to make them "talk" I was hooked. I think they are a great idea! I wonder if someone more experienced could tell you if Daisies would be easy and hardy - they are a happy flower and super kid-friendly, too.

What an awesome idea!

-GB

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

GB that is just precious.......and so sweet with those little hands helping in the dirt.

I think we are making history in a way........or passing down history. At least some folks will know how to grow stuff. It seems to be a lost art. Or declining any way.

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok, have to share my funny kid-in-the-garden story. My youngest is 13 and I asked her if she wanted to help me in the flower bed last Sunday so we could visit some, too. We were putting a bunch of Starbucks grounds in the dirt around the existing plants. As we were working she would stop occassionally and text on the ever-present cell phone. Then she got a call and asked the person if she could call them back in about an hour. When she got off and told me it was a friend, I realized something and asked her " You didn't want her to know you were gardening, did you?" She says "Well, duh, Mom, only old, I mean, er, older people like you, garden!" We both had a good laugh. I should show her some pics of you younger mothers having a blast. It was good one on one time anyway, even if she thought she was participating in some geriatric exercise!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

GB and MiniBeaner [how adorable]
I would think the soil you used will be fine.

I'll try to dig up that link again....

Brand of soil thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/813723/

This message was edited Jan 22, 2009 11:31 AM

do you put holes in the bottom of milk jug? If so, how do you put holes there?

Sonoita, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yes to holes, with a sharp pointy knife or ice pick BEFORE you slice it open. Be careful.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I recall someone saying they were doign the poking with the milk jug in their lap .... poke... Ouch!!
guess you only have to do that once before you find a hard surface.

I've used various things.... but lately it's been the tip of a steak knife. i poke then twist to make the hole larger. ... oh and i do it in my sink on the rubbery mat, so i'm not jabbin' my sink.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

GB: I mentioned in the other thread- usually potting mix is recommended, not soil.

Bachelor buttons might be nice for the kids, too- they grow fast and bloom fast, are easy care.

Karen

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

You know, I forgot to cut my drainage holes before I sliced open my milkjugs (I did three sides cut with one side as hinge). I just opened the jug all the way (remember those old Reach toothbrush commercials? "Open wiiiiide..." anywho) and put both the cut sides down on a kitchen towel with the jug bottom and top sticking up in the air. It ended up being very stable since it had such a wide flat base. I cut the holes with an exacto knife. Here is a link to DGer Anitabryk2's WSing website which I copied almost exactly. HTH!

http://lakehousecreations.com/winter_sowing.htm

-GB

greenbeaner - i had to laugh at your distraction with the Reach toothbrush comment. LOL!

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

Terese,

That's the soil link I remember. And the reason I was wondering about this soil is because it is so full of junk - bark, sticks (one as thick as my thumb), who knows what all. That seems to be what folks on the thread found undesirable. It's really heavy and clunky. I'm just not sure. Even though there a bunch of topics going on at the moment (which I love) any more opinions on my soil quandry would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-GB

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I learned it is easier the second time, LOL! the first batch of jugs I prepped I got fairly clumsy and they are anything but neat. I suspect they will work just fine, however. Then I realized it would help if I changed the blade on my utility knife! A new blade worked wonders, the second batch were much easier to prepare. hee hee

Some people use a drill for cutting the drainage holes, I would probably do that if I had one but do not at this point.

Kyla

Sonoita, AZ(Zone 8a)

I have sprouts! (I tried to do that in bold & it wouldn't show up!?)
Lettuse, beets, spinach WooHoo!

Thanks on the Bachler Button suggestion, I'll add those.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2009 2:01 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

GB does your soil have a moisture retention capacity? (We cross posted just now) I don't think the big chunks are the problem so much, as whether the soil will stay "fluffy" and continue to percolate moisture. I once bought some cheap potting soil that had big chunks like you describe, and the problem with it was, it did not hold moisture at all, but eventually hardened into a brick...... not good.

I bought some expensive organic blended potting soil because that is what I like and I expect it to work just fine for th is as it does for other container projects I have done........ but we shall see!

Kyla

PS Sonoita, LOL!

This message was edited Jan 22, 2009 12:37 PM

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

GB: I used a MG mix that was a potting mix. I think it is not as fine as the seed starting mix and not as heavy as the garden soil. As to starting over, I have no idea! If you have enough containers I would probably just let them go, and maybe double up on some varieties you really want. I would hate to just throw them all out. Some of those seeds might be pretty tough.

I use a cordless drill for the holes. Super easy, goes through anything and not really sharp, so I let the boys help out with the drilling, they liked that.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Potting mix, not soil, is generally recommended for containers. I've never used soil in WSown containers, or any flower pot for that matter.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH... i did not catch the part about it being "soil"

as Karen stated.. it should be potting mix of some sort.

Sonoita, AZ(Zone 8a)

I have never had luck with starting seeds, and this I think is due to not using the right medium. I would use soil, or general potting soil and would get nothing, or damp-off.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

About the drainage holes in milk jugs - I followed someone's advice and used a utility knife to make triangular holes - just 3 quick pokes each. It's very easy and quick. No need to bother with drills and stuff.

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

OK. It's official. The "garden soil" is getting dumped in the bed it was bought for and I am headed back to Walmart/Lowes for some potting mix. Don't worry LissaD, there were no seeds sown yet, so no losses there. Since I am starting off with what I am sure will turn out to be waaaay too many seeds (despite reading in Lessons Learned "I will plant fewer milk jugs next year" a few dozen times) I want to hedge my bet and try to give these little seed babies the best start I can. I wonder if dumping milk jugs will be as much fun as filling milk jugs for the MiniBeaner?

Thanks for the advice!
-GB

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

GB: I think you'll be happy for that decision. Just buy a good potting mix (these contain no soil, but consist of various mixes of peat, pine fines, vermiculite, and perlite, and maybe a wetting agent). It doesn't have to be one specifically for seed starting, just a good quality potting mix. Everyone has their favorite brand(s).

Karen

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

Oh that makes me feel so much better that you didn't actually seed any of the jugs yet!

By all means, then, dump away. HAHAHA> And yes, little people seem to like dumping as much as filling. :)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>Lessons Learned "I will plant fewer milk jugs next year"

I know i was one that said that too....

I did 51 the first year, and 75 last year.... this year ... i have no idea... it all depends on how many containers i can scrounge. i mean... i have over 200 varieties of seeds!! which is a pittance compared to others.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

GB, they'll probably like the dumping more! Re: the "soil/mix" info -- the potting soil I used is something I purchased in the final week before the local garden center closed for the season! and long before I knew I would be WS-ing, so fingers crossed. ;-)

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

I have more sprouts today, too.Geranium 'Bill Wallis',Gulf Winds Alyssum, and Scabiosa.

I also did some more sowing. 18 more jugs complete and 23 labeled and ready to put soil and seeds in. These I sowed today:
China aster 'opus'
Aster pot-n-patio
Coreopsis 'limerock dream'
geranium maculatum
geranium pusillum
pink liatris
malva sylvestris 'zebrina'
stock giant imperial mix
stock vintage mix
another liatris
grape hyacinth
moss rose mix
lavender salvia coccinea
viola tricolor (johhny jump ups)
lavender NOID
tomato 'yellow pear'
tomato 'wild cherry'

hmm and one other that I forgot to write down, so will have to check it out tomorrow.

Havin' a blast! After these next 23 are done, I still have another 20+ that I want to do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.