What new addition to your garden are you excited about this year?

There are a total of 217 votes:

I am planning on building a water feature or pond.
(24 votes, 11%)
Red dot

I am installing raised planting beds.
(37 votes, 17%)
Red dot

I want a vegetable garden!
(61 votes, 28%)
Red dot

I am planting new shrubs or trees. (what are they?)
(43 votes, 19%)
Red dot

I have a new perennial bed planned. (what are you putting in it?)
(52 votes, 23%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lots of Roses!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Raised planting beds of sorts...

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I am going to tear out old pond & install a water feature. It will have a waterfall & a larger pond area. Old one was a tub deal. This time I will use a pond liner.

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Bernie..that is beautiful!
I am going to expand my hosta garden..and mix in a few other shade loving plants

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm planting Daphne 'Carol Mackie' and a Campylotropis macromarcopa. Plus tilling up a new garden that will hold on plants that must be dug up and overwintered indoors. and containers as well will be in there.

Kannapolis, NC

There was no button for "All of the above," but that's pretty much what I WANT for this year. Now, as to what I accomplish, we'll see. A water feature is at the top of the list, but I'm also going to continue to redo all the beds here and try to add some new ones if I can convince DH! Big "if."

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

I have 10 raised beds that I've used for BT, but have now switched entirely to potted products, and will convert these to veggie and fruit production. Planting begins this week after Wednesday's cold front. I have 5 different lettuces, 3 tomatoes, peas, cukes, carrots, gourds, and melons ready to be planted.

Chris

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

We are getting 25 fruit trees in March: Apple, Pear, Peach, Plum and Cherry. Very excited!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Didn't have my choice - putting in new annual plants.
I got a lovely Brugmansia cutting (which I'm hoping survives until June) which I'll need to bring in the fall. Because of the temps here it won't be an outside perennial.
My Dats reseed each year, but not sure if my Brug will.....

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I checked 'Vegetable garden', as last years' was my first in a LONG time, and it was planted quite late.
Now that I've planted one and experience the joys of my own fresh organic vegetables....I want MORE, BIGGER, and BETTER! LOL!!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I am getting new landscaping for my front entryway! The bed is 40 feet long and as much as 15 feet deep. We pulled out all of the Crimson Barberry bushes last fall, leaving only a crape myrtle that needs a haircut. I plan on filling this bed with Japanese maples and some David Austin Roses. Maybe some azaleas.

I'm excited, as the old entryway was very boring and unimaginative.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Melody, sounds like an exciting plan! Congrats! I'm dreaming of several raised beds, until that project is realized, I'm planning some more trees and shrubs such as viburnum, and witchhazel. Daphnes odora are a must for the winter garden blooms, and beautiful foliage year round. So I'm planning on adding more of those into the garden too.

North Augusta, ON

There wasn't a button for "none of the above"...my garden additions are never planned, they just happen...

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I lost some doublefile viburnums that I had in beds and put in Sea Foam, Constance Spry, and two Festiva Maximas (the latter a fabulous gift from someone who shall remain nameless but to whom I send a big kiss). So I am filling in the beds while the roses grow with white borage, polemonium in blue and white, heuchera Firefly and bergenia Winterglow, and just started all but the borage under lights in the basement. Also I have a bed that is becoming shadier, so I am going to divide my alchemilla mollises (at ten years in, they need it!) and epimedium and add some of the perennials above, as well as some white four o'clocks. I'm finding new places for plants that have proven themselves, like double feverfew, arabis caucasica and cynoglossum. So not much is truly new, but I've learned what works. It's really satisfying (not to mention economical). Bless J.L. Hudson - most of the seeds come from him, and they are amazing.

Donna

This message was edited May 9, 2010 8:41 PM

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Lots of bulbs were planted last fall/winter so I am anxious to see what comes up and what got eaten.

-Kim

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will be removing a way to big juniper in my front patio and replacing it with Oregon Grape Holly -- which I can prune to the allocated space much better than the giant juniper that came with the house.

I will also plant three rose bushes after I remove the row of junipers in the area next to my front steps.

Not to worry -- I still have plenty more junipers! ( Though their days may be numbered.)

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Like threegardeners, I need a none of the above button. My plans for the garden are to add a coop, run and chickens. For the eggs and for their fertilizing and tilling capabilities...

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Extending a raised bed and putting in another Arbor this year, also redoing a bed that I wasn't happy with.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I have a small vegetable garden, but I want a bigger one. One a little more structured, that I can really do something in. I really need a fence, and I'd like to raise the actual beds. And something for my cucumbers and tomatoes to climb on, not just cages. I've got a picture in my head, but I'm not sure I can get it to reality this year. But that's my goal. A bigger vegetable garden, and some landscape lights out by our pool. It's so dark at night, and my dogs are getting older (and so am I) and they just can't see. I'm afraid one of them is going to end up in the pool.

(Zone 6a)

I chose new perennial bed but we're also hoping to put in a vegetable garden as well as annual beds and some small shrubs and maybe a small tree!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bummer there was no 'other' choice this time :( Hardscaping, hardscaping, hardscaping. Some of you have seen the new fencing, gates, paths, benches, deck etc etc. New patio this year, then riiiiiiiiiiip out the driveway and redo the stoop. There's a waterfeature in the works too and well why not? a dry creek bed. Plant beds are constantly being created, combined, improved along the way but hardscaping is my life for the next bit of time. Old property. 'Miles to hardscape before I sleep'

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Just moved to a new house last year and have so much to do. I put vegetable garden but there are so many things we are doing I could have checked them all. I love my flowers, shrubs, trees and pond so I guess it will be all but vegetables will be first.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Where is "none of the above"? LOL! I have more flower beds than I can't fill now. We built a fish pond in 2004, and veggie gardens sound like work. i am adding more butterfly host plants and perennials to my existing garden this year.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2009 7:21 PM

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

A vegetable garden and fruit trees in the back yard. Many xeric shrubs and groundcovers in the front yard, which is currently covered with rocks.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I am adding 2 of these... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56964/
I have wanted elderberry for a long time, but they were too big and wild. This new variety is going to be wonderful. I am going to trim 1 as a tree and leave the other natural.

chris

This message was edited Jan 20, 2009 7:11 AM

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

I voted for installing a raised bed. I have 3 other raised block beds that I use for vegetables and fruit. The 4th one, which I've already started, will be 2 levels. A banana tree will be in the lower part and herbs in the taller side.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I have several perennials I need to divide so why not start a new bed?? Over the 8 years we have been in our house, some of the beds now have a bit more shade than previously so I'll have to re-configure some of my shrubs and perennials. I also want to expand my daylily varieties and add perennials for the butterflies, bees and hummingbirds. OK, I admit I'm already behind in getting this started!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Planning to expand the water feature we installed two years ago. The pond supply store owner told us we would love it so much we would want to expand later but I didn't believe him ...... well, he was right!

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Wow fleurs...that's beautiful!

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

I voted to add a water feature/pond.

The baby bass need a new home, they spent last summer in a barrel, and are spending the winter in a bowl on the kitchen counter. they are quite entertaining!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Nan.

Bass in a bowl on the kitchen counter? That must be interesting! lol

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Hemophobic, You're right, there was no all of the above button. I want to do all, but probably won't be able to do the water feature, unless it's on a very small scale. I voted veg garden.

Bass on the kitchen counter...love it. I had tadpoles on the kitchen counter once for about six weeks or so, but it was really hard to keep the water clean without the appropriate fish tank and filter.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

The only thing different that I'm hoping to add to my gardens this year is RAIN

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

LOL Joan...you can have some of out inevitable spring monsoons.....oh wait, I'll need them come July!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

None of the above. There is no room for any more plants. In fact, I will be dividing and giving away many.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

If you end up with extra, let me know. :)

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmm....North Dakota. My plants are wusses - like me. :-D

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Opps, sorry, I was referring to any extra rain Melody might have, not your plants. :) I'm sure your plants would absolutely HATE North Dakota, especially now. :)

Havelock, Canada

I am planting honeysuckle for sure this year. Tried to start seeds indoors and no go so I'm treating myself to some new plants. If the lilacs, gooseberry and red currant bushes didn't survive over the winter, I'll put in new ones.

Can't wait for the garden this year since last year's back surgery limited my ability to garden. At least to weed. Ack. Hopefully, no excuses this year.

Elaine and Otis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.