renting plants

Brenham, TX(Zone 8b)

I posted this in the Market Growers forum and haven't gotten any responses...so I'm posting in several other communities.....
I would like to get into the plant rental business, and don't have a clue about prices, contracts, etc.....
I know that restaurants, caterers, etc. rent small trees and large plants. Any advice and information would be appreciated.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Spoons

I would call all the local companies that list themselves as offering plant rentals and ask them what they charge. I would also call other cities, like Austin or Houston.

When you call have a list of plants and the number you might need. For example:

How much for 5 Ficus and how much to take care of them.

How much for 10 Ficus and 5 containers of bromeliads for a little color.

I would think that with 3 possible scenarios you should be able to figure out a price schedule for your business.

I think it would be wise not to rent plants unless the contract includes care. People will let your plants die and it is difficult to get them to pay for their own negligence.

Hope it works out for you....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Danville, IN

When I started my landscaping business, I did what DaleTheGardener advised. Don't tell them you want to get into the business and most places are loathe the give away info on how they operate. You're not being dishonest or anything like that. You will have to use that info and other (like how much plants will cost you) to determine a pricing rate that will give you a profit. Also, if you have any contact with a business that already is a rent-a-plant customer, they might help you out with what they are paying. Of course, you are going to have to get a license to buy wholesale, collect sales tax, etc. I found that the IRS puts on excellent small-business workshops, as do many local Chamber of Commerces. Good luck.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Dale, what is that plant in your photo? The leaves look like they are hand-painted. It's really gorgeous.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.