Japanese irises - why don't you grow them PART 2

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

At Polly's request we now have a new thread for the delightful Japanese irises.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

If they all looked like this one I might be tempted to try again
LOL
A

To honor Elvis' birthday I can only reply that with regards to JI's...
http://www.ladynwavsone.com/canthelpfallinginlove.html

Twinsburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Very nice web-site tribute to the King. I was a kid when Rock n Roll was emerging and Elvis was phenomenal. Has anyone named an Iris after him; either directly or indirectly? Treat Me Nice would be a good name, or how about Blue Suede Shoes or All Shook Up, or Love Me Tender, or Blue Moon. C'mon now, all those of you who were bopping to Elvis in the 50's, let's hear from you.

Tony Avent has named hostas for Elvis and his songs but I don't think I've seen a JI named for him...yet. DH and I got married under a Blue Moon (honestly!) and our first song was Love Me Tender. We were All Shook Up!

South Hamilton, MA

LA iris: Red Velvet Elvis (Vaughn)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Love the JI--haven't tried growing one yet but I've started a wishlist from the other thread and everyone's gorgeous photos:) Anyone know what the first photo was with the dark blue one? I'm a fiend for blue flowers:)

Do you think I'd be successful in my area with them? I'm running out of room but willing to evict some cannas:lol:

You and I are both in zone 7 so I'm sure you could grow them.

Is this the photo you meant? If so, it's Peacock Dance.

Thumbnail by pirl
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Fabulous Pirl...love the veining in Peacock Dance

Thanks. Here's Hegira. Similar colors but hard to choose a favorite.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 7b)

Can anyone explain to me what "#1 size divisions" of JI means, or looks like? Thanks.

Purely subjective, I'm sure. Sort of like saying "largest caladium bulbs available" as Park's and Wayside always did.

(Zone 7b)

I'm just trying to figure out how one place can sell "#1 size divisions" for $12-14, and another place sells them for $5-6!

One place may have a surplus or else they may say #1 divisions but send a small plant where the other company might send double or triple.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Ooh! Thanks...Peacock Dance is on my list now:lol: The second photo posted by Irisloverdee--the fourth or fifth post in the original thread was the one but I'm glad I got the name for Peacock Dance too:lol:

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

2zeus,

I agree with what Pirl said about the size of the divisions.

If you're talking about the big growers, say Aitkens vs Ensata, you'll probably get the same size plant. It's just that one place might have an overabundance of the cultivar. Aitkens tends to lower the prices on the older ones, where Ensata does not. If it's not one of the iris growers, I would be suspicious of the lower prices.

In my experience you're getting pretty much the same size and quality from any of the big growers, Aitkens, Ensata, Eartheart, Iris City, etc. And they are always true to name.

But I find out in the end the prices are not really so much different, especially if you're buying a few. Aitkens shipping is at cost for a larger order, where Ensata only charges 8.00. Ensata also gives a % discount for bigger orders, so to me it's always worked out about the same.

Pirl can chime in on this too, as I know we've discussed it.

With most of the big growers a #1 division is 3-4 fans. Although I've certainly had more at times.

I would not buy from anyone other than someone that specializes in irises, because a lot of the places sell irises that are purchased from the wholesale Dutch growers, and are not true to name. Either not true to name, as in the case of Imperial Magic, or not even a registered variety, like Gracieuse, Pink Lady, Shogun, etc. Those irises may turn out to be anything. They may be beautiful, they may not be, but they are not registered, and there are no standards to what they will look like. Shogun is advertised as being a red JI, and there is no such thing.

Best is to simply buy from a place that specializes in irises, or check out the iris on the Society For Japanese Iris webpage. Way down towards the bottom, the checklist.

http://www.socji.org/member_services.htm

Keep in mind this list does not have the newest cultivars in it. It is a very accurate list, and was done by Bob Bauer of Ensata, and he is really the current expert on JIs.

I can only agree with all Polly has said. We've compared notes over the last few years regarding buying irises and we've found the places Polly named to give value and accuracy for the money.

I happily add Eartheart Gardens (Sharon Whitney) to Polly's list.
http://www.eartheartgardens.com/index_files/mcewen_japanese_iris.htm

Thumbnail by pirl
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey, I included Eartheart! Sharon Whitney has come to be my favorite person to deal with. I've never met her, though. She has to be the most helpful person in business.

Is that her in the picture, Pirl? Look at the muscles in those arms. Obviously growing JIs is good for the health. And look at the height on those JIs! I love that purple one on the left, especially because of it's height.

Lebanon, OR

PIRL or Polly have either of you been to Chad Harrris in WA, reason why I know I am not a giant at not quite 5' but Chad had some JI that where TALL and I could barely the top of the flower. I have also judged some of Harris and Walker JI at shows and they were in vases on the floor and I could barely see the top of the flower.

I will not buy from any place but but an iris grower as when I first started out I found that first number one divisions seemed to be SMALL and many times their named ones where not registered with the AIS...

I finally got one cross to take on JI so we will see

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Dee, I know who Chad Harris is, of course. I have some of his irises in my garden, but no, I've never been. His business is Mt. Pleasant Iris Farm, but he doesn't have a website does he? Were they his own hybrids that were so tall?

I'm 5'8", so chances are there aren't going to be too many as tall as me. Dino is registered at 70 inches, so I should be able to look that one straight on.

If nothing else, we will certainly impress on people to not buy JIs from anyone other than an iris grower. Some people like Dee, and Ensata may add daylilies, or hostas, or some similarly grown plant to their repetoire, but the companies that sell all different types of perennials and shrubs I would not buy JIs from.

You did mention Sharon! Sorry I missed it somehow.

Yes, that is Sharon and she is a very helpful person and a beautiful one, too.

I've never been to any nurseries in Washington at all. Polly loves them tall and I love short to 3 feet tall. I do agree with Polly's thoughts on buying from companies that sell either only JI or JI and a select few other plants - not from nurseries that sell everything possible.

Lebanon, OR

No, Chad Harris nor Lee Walker have webpages..

My Dino gets at eye level here in my garden.

The reason I have been adding different types of iris is so that people can see that there are other types other than bearded and that they do not require special care, they can and do grow well in a garden.

I will be working on a presentation about all kinds/types of iris as an introduction into the World of Iris.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl,

I notice in your picture of Eartheart Gardens the soil does not look wet. Just goes to show they can be grown in average garden conditions.

Dee,

Where will you be making your presentation?

Lebanon, OR

For now I was thinking here in OR as a testing ground then if it is good then offering it the AIS libarary as a tool.

I have some species, but no pictures of LI, or others so it will be a work in progress.

D

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Pirl you have showed me another part of life and I just have to get some Japanese Iris!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It's always a work in progress, Dee. With the new varieties, species, and species X coming out it always will be

So you will be creating a display garden, is that the idea? I thought you meant a verbal or writen presentation.

Explain a little more about what you will be dioing, it sounds interesting.

South Hamilton, MA

Shorties alert (including me). Shorter JI are being worked on in northern VT. It will take some years as the hybridizer is looking to produce good plants, not just short ones.

Lebanon, OR

It will be both...Since I still have room to see if different species will grow here about 1/8 to 1/4 acre of land for testing and viewing.

But what I am thinking about is doing a Powerpoint presentation as an introduction into the wonderful world of Iris as many species as I can beg, borrow or take pictures of along with bulbous iris, evansias, laevigata, Louisanas (which I do not grow) with an approximate season on them.

I know that the presentation that I did that just had a couple of species along with spuria and CA, that many of the people attending had NO IDEA that there were other types of iris besides Bearded and that is what got me to thinking on this presentation. If I were to ask and receive any pictures these would be used ONLY as an educational tool...just at this time thinking...

Have one with siberians, spuria, japanese, CA and a very few species iris almost done...

D

Thanks, Synda. They are such gorgeous flowers.

Polly - the ground is not wet but Sharon does mulch heavily, very heavily, with long pine needles. Here's an example:

Thumbnail by pirl

This is the beauty that accompanies the sign. Glorious! Had to be at least 8".

Thumbnail by pirl
Galien, MI

I'm glad someone already asked about shipping size, I wasn't able to find that info anywhere. If anyone has a picture of a shipping size division, please post it.

I'm a bit confused over the diploid/tet part. In daylilies, it is clearer to see the difference between the two, but I can't seem to tell with JI's. What are the advantages to both of these?

Typical division: two of the same JI.

Tets are double the chromosomes of Diploids. Since I've collected daylilies and JI's for years I really feel the difference is seen more with Tet daylilies having stronger stems and more substance though some of my favorites are diploids. With JI's I know the Tets are supposed to be more desirable but none are even weak stemmed whereas many of the diploid daylilies can be blown over by wind. Colors are supposed to be more vivid as well but I truthfully don't see the difference with color for either plant.

Thumbnail by pirl
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

There is not that much difference in the two beakerjl. I understand almost all, or all the newer bearded irises are tets, with the exception of MTBs, but a smaller percentage of the JIs are. Maybe (and this is just a guess), 10%? It's really not that noticeable.

When I was referring to the old diploids, I was referring to them in regards to the modern dipoids, and the tetraploids, as having a substance more like tissue paper. The newer diploids and the tetraploids have heavier substance, but the difference is not pronounced.

I would not decide on a JI by ploidy.

Siberian irises on the other hand seem to have more oomph if they are tetraploid. But the dipoid ones look more elegant to me.

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I went to Ensata gardens a few years back during their JI bloom. Fantastic!!! THe old brick home and beautiful gardens are worth the visit alone. THen to see the gorgeous JI and sib blooms was great. I got tons of great pictures!

Thumbnail by flowrgirl1

That's beautiful!

THanks, Ensata is worth the trip! Heres another.

Thumbnail by flowrgirl1
Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I have one Jap iris that has bloomed once...wrong site for it. The blooms were un-fascinating kind of a flat small bloom. Maybe when we move it will do better on the Eastern Shore of VA? Some please suggest some pretty ones that do well and fairly easy to grow. I love irises and have several species, but mostly do Bearded.
debc

Galien, MI

flowrgirl, what is the name of that purple one?

Unfortunately i dont know because i didnt record the names as i took photos. took to many pictures but their catalog has tons of pictures. Its a really great catalog. Go to ensata.com . there site is pretty good too. they have a link to request a catalog.

It's easy to get hooked - just go to Ensata and return here with your top five and we'll see who grows them and how well they do.

They should love eastern Virginia: they love it here, eastern Long Island. You'll be in the area with Pamela Harper, author of Color Echoes. It's a great book about gardening with color and now can be purchased as used from many of the used book dealers. It's $4.99 + shipping on Ebay. Here's a nice article about Pam Harper:
http://gottagarden.blogspot.com/2007/05/garden-education-pamela-harper.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.