First Candleing

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Okay, I have never candled before. I just candled the two eggs I have in the bator.
Really did not know what to expect at day 12. I looked at some pics online and all.
What I got shocked me. Is it possible for the baby to move and swim at that point?
I had this dark spot that "swam" in and out of view. It was MOVING! ????? Any ideas?
The other one, I did not see anything. ????

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Sorry, don't have an answer but thought I'd bump it up! :-)

Ferndale, WA

Hi Sewin circle: Yes it is possible and what a great way to start out the New Year. What's so interesting is the differences in the eggs and even when you put them in at the same time. My two babies are not only 34 days old and though they were hatched together one is at least twice as big as the other. I'm so happy for you and wish that all your hopes and dreams are fulfilled in this comming year. Haystack.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Good luck

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Haystack, Sandy (for the bumpidy bump) LOL, and Wren. I have never candled and do not have a candler. I used black construction paper coned with a 1 inch end for the egg and I put a large flashlight inside. I waited 3 to 10 seconds and then it was there swimming! I want to name it UNO. Because it is the only one! The other eggs (showgirls) never came. It is 12 or 13 days since shipping. She is sending out another batch Monday. UPS must have ate them. LOL. With the holidays and all I can understand. I was just dissapointed.
I am however excited about UNO!
Have a wonderful NEW YEAR everyone! {{{HUGS}}}
My DD wants to name it swimmy! aghhhh!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2009 9:03 AM

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

WOW awesome, Uno is a fitting name. Dang it about them showgirls not showing up. Had to sorry ^_^ Tell the DD that name is saved for a DUCK!!!!!!

Elbridge, NY

We saw him swimming around every where in his egg so thats why I think his name should be Swimmy. Because if he didnt like the name Swimmy then he wouldnt swim. ha ha ha We also cant decide to name him uno because we dont know for sure if the other eggs is going to hatch. So for now Swimmy is a good name. :]

Ferndale, WA

Hi there Chickens4ever: Welcome to the forum. Mom says uno and you say swimmy so put it in a sentence. "Do uno what your doing? Yes I'm swimmy!" HA HA. Have a Happy New Year darling. Haystack

Elbridge, NY

ha ha ha. I cant wait until we candle them agian:] I wish we could candle them everyday.
Dominique

Clarkson, KY

Ps. Dominique, glad you made it back on--it was a little quiet without you....

Elbridge, NY

thank you grownut im glad to be back! :D

Elbridge, NY

Me and my mom just candled the eggs agian and in the egg we thought nothing was in we saw a black thing moving like Swimmy does! I'm so excited! So now mine can be named Swimmy and mom can name hers Uno (as in hes number 1) ha ha ha

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Yup, two! Two for two. woohooo. Uno and Dos! Not swimmy...chickens hate water! :P At least they wont be lonely! Haystack, I sure like your compromise! hehehe (uno your funny right?)
Ya, bummer about the showgirls but I hope to get the second batch soon. She will send them out on Monday.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Good for you Sewin!
It is so amazing to see them inside the egg.. I just use a maglight flashlight and put it directly on top of the egg.. Or hold it with my pinky and put the egg on top of my my cupped hand to see from the bottom.
Later in the incubation period.. (when they start moving) I can't see much from the bottom.. putting the light at the top works better.

Congratulations! It's soooo cool to see them hatch..

Elbridge, NY

Mom if you say that your going to name them uno and dos then I say we should name them swimmy and pool or swimmy and swimmy jr. I'll need to think about it :D mwa ha ah ha ha

Ferndale, WA

Hey chickens4ever: Just think if they are named uno and swimmy, when they hatch you can be there and say to uno, "Do uno Swimmy?" What a great intro. You sound like one great Kid. Just bet your mom and dad are very proud of you. Haystack

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I am indeed proud. Shes a good egg! hehehe
She will be driving before I know it! Aghh!

Elbridge, NY

Ha ha ha That funny I'm going to say that when uno hatchs :D Thank you for the compliment:D I cant wait until they hatch! We havent had any baby chicks since this past summer!
Dominique

cant wait to see. Hey there Dominique wait until they are about ready to pip and listen.

Elbridge, NY

I only heard a pip once with a baby we tried to hatch. (all the baby got out was a beak and it died, it was deformed) :[ i hope these ones turn out better
Dominique

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Okay! I got the showgirls today. They were sent out on the 22! They just got here!!! I am letting them sit awhile before putting them in the bator. I am not even sure if they are any good. sigh! The lady is sending out a new batch Monday anyway. ;) So if I have a ton I am sending one to each of you! hehehe
Stay tuned!

I want a pretty hen. I will tell everyone it is a poodle. LOL

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL! Get a saddle (from other thread) and walk it! I like that idea!!! I did just put the 9 eggs in the bator. I was only suppose to get 6 but they must send extras for good measure. She is also suppose to send out more Monday!!! Yikes! I only wanted a couple more chickens! Like I said, you may be getting one!!! LOL

I can just see me riding my bike with the dog on his flexi leash running beside me and a chicken riding on the handle bars. LOL

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I can see it! What a hood ornament! Cool idea!
I may need to send you two!

How about a rooster to ride the back of the bike!! He could protect the dog. My silly dog does not understand aggression. LOL

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

That would work! Then you can have fertile eggs. (To give to all your freinds) ^_^

Ferndale, WA

Yikes is right: Your gonna have chickens everywhere. Could not have happened to a better person. You and that darling daughter of your's are going to have a blast naming all of them. hehe. You Rock girl. Haystack

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Haystack! I guess UNO wont be UNO for long!!!! Dos, tres,cuatro, cinco, seis... Yikes again!!!! DD is still determined to name the one swimmy! I cant even argue anymore!
I may need to build a bigger brooder! ZZ!!!! Just kidding! Can I borrow that new saw though? hehehe!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL If you can pry it out of my hands.. you are welcome to it! LOL I bounce from hatching to building and it's my favorite things..

Here is the link to that candling site http://www.pekinbantams.com/embryo.asp

It's so exciting when you start to see that lil spiderweb of veins goin on..

I hope you are knee deep in chicks and be a chick slave soon.. it's so fun!

A roo chick slave I am right now.. LOL

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh ya, the batchlor pad right? Funny! They must be getting so big!
I cant wait til I get babies. (I better be careful what I wish for) hehehe.
This all started with 6 now I will have almost 20 eggs in the bator after Monday!
Yikes again! hehehe

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

NEVER COUNT YOUR CHICKENS BEFORE THEY HATCH.

Not only will it break your heart, it will jinx the bator!

I do wish a load of bumbling babiez in your bator.. there is no therapy on earth like it.

I love my bachelor pad.. it's the easiest part of my "chick chores" The "boys" are in there and getting used to not having food or water all night.. and going to bed like the big kids.. when they come out in the morning.. they are HUNGRY and ready to run!
I love it when they first got the courage to go down the ramp.. about the 3rd day they were in there.. they went down too fast and crashed into the wall like Krystal's bouncy balls.. LOL LOL

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I was counting in another language so it does not count! hehehe!
My poor DH thinks he is living with a 6 year old. I just cant
help myself!!! I get all stupid and giddy! I will try to reign in that side....nope...didnt work!
I will work on it!
I am so glad the boys are learning to be BIG BOYS!
Maybe we need to put pillows at the end of the ramp! hehehe
I can so picture that!!! wooooo! too fast...!!

Clarkson, KY

Just remind him JM --chickens don't go to college, count your blessings...;-p....

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I will do that in our next discussion!

be easy there Jeanmarie, Need to work him up to the ducks.

Elbridge, NY

We have lots of chickens in the bator:D I'm hoping that Swimmy will have lots of brothers and sisters:D Swimmy is all mine!
Dominique

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Gotta talk to the Boo Boo babiez sewin.. Tell them to come out.. and keep saying the same thing.. when they come out and hear your voice, they will ALL wake up and look for you! That is the cutest thing ever.

PS.. Don't pay any attention to significant others who tell you you are getting broody..

Clarkson, KY

{{{never worry 'til you start settin' and cluckin' and won't leave bed.}}}

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh dear! The warning signs are alarming!
I will do my best to walk away! hehehe
Monday the new eggs go out. Should get them in a couple days.
fingers crossed, legs, arms, eyes, etc. That will make 20 eggs.
But I truely believe the 9 she sent earlier (after 12 days in route) are not any good.
I will candle again in a couple days. They look clear to me. :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.