In the New Year, I vow to

There are a total of 304 votes:

Weed my flowerbeds regularly
(54 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Plant a vegetable garden. What vegetables?
(44 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Have a garden plan, and stick to it
(35 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Encourage more butterflies and birds with their favorite plants
(108 votes, 35%)
Red dot

Other
(63 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

(Zone 8b)

I voted other because there was no option for "All of the above"!!!

I will be growing salads, peas, beans, potatoes,beetroot, carrotts and parsnips in the open and tomatoes, peppers, cucumber and melon in the greenhouse. Not cabbage this year - I lost the lot to caterpillars last year - and I don't want to encourage the Cabbage White but otherwise I have 3 butterfly bushes and will have Verbena and other butterfly flowers.

The first job is to try and get that huge Bramley Apple Tree under control though!

Thumbnail by okus
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I could have used an all of the above this time but I voted veggies... primarily because that is my objective for the coming season. Not anything out of the ordinary. Just fresh, healthy, what we normally eat, I know where they come from, how they are fertilized, picked from the plant VEGETABLES! 8 ))

With the economy slowing, I feel a lot of folks will be going back to the victory type gardening and that is a good thing. It will benefit the pocketbook as well as the health of the consumer.

Saint Petersburg, FL

I voted "Other" for all of the above plus one (I vow not to buy another plant that doesn't fit into my yard).

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I voted "Other" because sticking to a plan is something far beyond my abilities, I already have a veggie garden, I've found what works for the birds and butterflies and....I can't remember the other choice ((was there one?). I am going to expand a few gardens - my herb garden and an area next to our new back door. I know what I want to do with the herb garden, but until we get the area infront of the door finished, I only have an idea what I'm going to do there.
Barb

Barstow, CA(Zone 9a)

I voted for the veggie garden because that is the main thing that I spent time and money this Fall preparing. Last year's cantaloupe patch with a foursome of bell pepper plants was consumed in a single morning by rabbit(s) just when the seedling cantaloupes were getting to be 2-3 inches tall. All gone. I'm told that my store bought bell pepper plants died because I wasn't providing them with "shade cloth" to protect them from the harsh summer sun here in the desert. So this Fall I determined to build a protected area with chicken wire all around and adequate defenses against flood waters and trespassing ORVers in which to grow my garden. The attached photo shows the area 18 yards long by 5 feet wide which I have properly tilled up with my heavy duty roto tiller, Amended the native mixture of rock clay sand gravel and caliche with the recommended amount of soil conditioner, and enriched with 30 cubic feet of steer manure to be allowed to cure over Winter. On the other side of the fence are the ten planting holes that I prepared and winter sowed with my carefully gathered and dried Bird of Paradise seeds. There will be at least another try at growing my cantaloupe patch in this protected area, maybe another go at bell peppers, perhaps some other veggies.

Another major plan is to add more to my intended apricot orchard which has two young apricot trees started in it last Spring. The two originals haven't grown anywhere near as much as expected (two feet per year of upward growth is what the guides said was going to happen). But I'm going to be adding at least two more trees towards my eventual intention of having a row of eight properly spaced full grown apricot trees inside the northern fence of my place. And of course I'm going to try again at my Pretty Flowers Row (which was also demolished by the rabbits last year) probably condescending to put chicken wire around it too. And add some additionals to the Cactus Row outside my office window. And whatever else occurs to me as Spring arrives.

Thumbnail by bgrumbin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I voted Other as in all of the above but also my intent is to start earlier on the seedlings and expand with new beds.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I voted have a plan and stick to it, because I have no plan. lol. I like a plant and buy it with no idea where to plant it. I have everything from giant redwood trees, black walnt trees , tropicals like bananas, EEs, cannas, passion vines to camelias, azaleas and everything in between. lol.
Yep I need a plan.
Linda

Fountaintown, IN(Zone 5b)

I voted other, because I have been adding horse manure/bedding (my husband raises Tennessee Walking Horses) to a new sunny garden. So I vow to populate this new garden with plants from my too-shady garden, and maybe trades from DG...I'll be needing shade lovers.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I got an Earth Box for Christmas! So, I'm planning to grow tomatoes!!!

(Zone 1)

I voted to weed my flower beds more regularly but that would be an every day job here in the south ... seems like weeds sprout up overnight, even when I have a couple of inches of mulch! Arrrgh! Maybe I should just settle for a weed garden!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I voted other. This year I need to only purchase plants that I actually have room for. Of course, trades and freebies don't count!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I voted to have a plan & stick to it. I bought a greenhouse last summer, and "fried" some plants when the humidity went to 50c while I was at work. Really have to learn how to use the greenhouse lol

Need to figure placement, how early/late I can leave plants in it. It'll go on the deck as per usual, & maybe I'll just vent it earlier, when it's still cool in the am lol

Veggies don't grow well anywhere but our deck, certainly not in our clay soil with a short growing season!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yep, this EB is going on the patio.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

We need an all of the above on this one! :)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I clicked "other" because I just don't like the whole idea of taking vows as to how I'll garden. I enjoy it and I think it contributes to the ecology of the planet. I do it because I want to.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I voted for the butterflies & birds.
I've been getting erosion control strips started in my large garden. I have most of them seeded to alfalfa & inter planted with shrubs. Mostly flowering shrubs. I have some wild flowers started in some rows & others are old stands of flowers. Also, one spot about 100 feet on a side, is gravely. I planted some flowers there last year, but to dry & some didn't make it. I will plant more there. This should be very nice place for birds.

Bernie

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I voted other because I'm working on de-lawning the property. When I'm done I'm hoping to have just a small patch of lawn for dh to mow (he actually likes to mow) and more gardens with some hardscaping as well.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I voted weeding, because even though I plan to do all of the above, that is the one I have to 'make' myself do ha ha
I hate weeding. But I love the look when I'm done, and the feeling of acomplishment.
I think there should have been other options on the list.
Like planting trees.
I like to do that, but my tree 'spots' are all planted up finally so I can't plant anymore :(
another good option would have been---plan to get out of bed early to do this so it won't be so hot while I work---- I am a lazy head in the mornings...........zzzzzzzz

What about adding new beds?
Oh, my DH banned me from that lol .....

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

FrillyLiliy My dh tried to ban my new beds also. The winner went from 6 beds to 17 and #18 waiting for spring 2009. LOL

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm thinking of getting some Earthboxes this spring and trying tomatoes--I loved the heirloom tomatoes that I got from my produce delivery service so I thought I might try growing my own this year!

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

ugh.. weeding.. that's my resolution.

Which will probably last as long as last year's resolution LOL

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Other. I vow to focus on quality; not quantity. I'd rather have a small bed of healthy plants than several neglected ones.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Veggie/herb garden - check
Butterfly and birds and goodguy bug plants - check
Weeding - I'm a binge weeder and I think that counts if done in regular binges - check
Garden Plan - I work up wonderful designs (wandering away from them is part of my plan and artistic licence IMHO) - check
Other - Voted yes: This year I vow to... have way too much fun again this year.

Happy gardening in 2009 my friends.

I voted Other because I intend to use newspaper more to keep the weeds under control. We did it in several areas this year and it really helped. Now I want to put it down everywhere that I can!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I used to have a wonderful little vegetable garden in one section of the back yard. A few years ago a couple of accidents and resultant knee and back pain caused me to abandon the garden. Every year I promise myself that this is the year that I will get it going again, but it never quite works out. Maybe this year.

It would be nice if I could keep up with the weeds, too, but I don't want to get too crazy here. ; )

As for butterflies and birds, this is the one area where I'm quite happy (and even amazed) with the numbers and varieties of both that I have managed to attract. I planted lots of things that attract them. Then during the down time after my accidents when I was unable to do a lot in the garden, I learned quite by accident that being a little 'messy' also attracts birds. By messy I mean letting a few of those weeds grow as many are favorite food for the birds, leaving some leaf litter here and there to provide homes and hiding places for insects (aka bird food), and piling some of those prunings, small limbs, twigs, etc in a spot somewhere to provide insects and shelter.

Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

I voted for the butterflies etc because ours is a brand new garden and so the wildlife needs lots of encouragement to take up residence here.
My other objective for 2009 is to get a big, wildlife pond up and running. We'll have the thing dug out for us (just waiting for dry weather long enough for the chap with the digger to get on the garden!), then it will be our project to get it puddled all round so it holds water (we have solid clay for soil here), do all the planting and then make sure there are plenty of places for our hedgehogs to get a drink safely.

Scutler - have you thought about raised beds for your veggies? Here in France many of the chateaux have ornamental potagers (veg gardens) where all the beds are raised either with brick or stone walls or with simple wooden sides. The beds are not always rectangular and so make formal patterns. They look lovely, make it really easy to plant and crop and, best of all, you have total control of the soil or other growing medium you have in there. Just think, perfectly straight carrots - Wow!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I'm like carolyn_haack: I also will not buy another plant that doesn't fit into my yard. Or one that doesn't like my climate. Or one that likes sun and I put it in shade (or vice versa).
Jo-Ann

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Fleuriste,

Thanks for the great idea. I've seen many photos of the potagers, although most that I saw were at ground level, and I just love that idea. Before my accidents and subsequent surgeries and such, I saved a bunch of long straight trimmings from my crepe myrtles as I was hoping to use them to make those cone shaped supports for peas that I often see in potager pics. I did buy a large raised planter on casters for my patio, but I'm afraid a bunch of daylilies, herbs, and such found their way in there before I had a chance to plant any vegetables.

I haven't installed raised beds in the yard for pretty much the same reason I haven't been making a vegetable garden. With no one to assist me, I don't have much hope of building the brick, stone, or wooden raised beds. I am getting around much better now. While still not 'perfect', I seem to be getting better each year. Perhaps I will soon be able to set up something of that sort - or maybe find someone I can hire to set it up for me.

Thanks again for the idea. Don't suppose you might have any pics of potagers with raised beds by any chance? :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think this is a good article on potagers. Raised bed potagers is a very popular method of gardening for seniors here. http://www.gardeners.com/How-to-Build-a-Kitchen-Garden/8013,default,pg.html

This message was edited Dec 30, 2008 11:12 AM

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

...just keep what I have now under control. Lots of upkeep now.

Woodbury, CT

I purchased my " stock plants" of Butterfly bushes from Spring Meadow Nurseries in 2007 and have been taking cuttings from these bushes for rooting under mist.The butterflys were attracted to these plants immediatly.I spotted all the butterflies that I was familiar with and a few I was not. The rooted cuttings of these plants sell very well and are really popular at the Spring sales.
It is a real thrill to have the butterfies land on your arms and hair while working with these plants.I will be planting large groupings of mixed colors this Spring in my landscape.

"OTHER" for "All of the above".

April

Valsolda, Italy(Zone 9b)

I will try and keep my plants healthy and treat them better (mealy bugs invade my plants constantly!).

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm not looking forward to the battle of the badguy bugs sasha10. It's my least favorite thing about gardening.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I look forward to planting fruit trees which will thrive in my zone.
I look forward to building just a few raised beds for cutting flowers.
I look forward to getting rid of every gesneriad I have except for streptocarpus.
I look forward to propagating hoyas and more hoyas!
Happy gardening everyone!

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

My resolution for my garden is to catalog and organize all my plants on my computer, so I have some idea what I have planted and where!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't think I will promise anything.......I'll just do what I can and let the rest take care of itself.....LOL
I have so many project started I can't find where to start. I need to finish garden paths, Koi pond needs some care and finishing as well so I think I will start with the first thing by the door and work my way back.....

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I voted Have a garden plan and KEEP it. I am also resolving to: Drink a quart of water EVERY day, Save Tomato seeds, Set up a roadside produce stand, and to grow LOTS of melons! I was considering to vote "weeding", but I was a very through weeder this year, Which means that I should have only Spring weeds this year (YAAYY!!!)

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Oh, and I also vow to make a garden entitled 'My little piece of Hawaii'. I simply LOVE tropicals and have traded for a lot of them in the past month on this website. This is THE place for tropicals!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.