growing bamboo from seed

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if bamboo is easy to grow from seed? how long does it take to germinate?do the seeds need special treatment? how long does it take to get big? What does a bamboo seed even look like?

thanks,
batflower

Keaau, HI

Bamboo is not easy to raise from seed!

Soak the seed in fresh water for one hour then rinse; soak the seed in fresh water for one day, then rinse.
Sow the seed one-half inch deep in a peat based growing medium. I use a mixture of Pro-Mix BX and vermiculite. It is better to place the seed in a tray of cells, than in the same pot; this helps to avoid damaging the fragile roots when transplanting.
Keep the seed moist and warm. If the seed is fresh and viable, you will start to see seedlings in about three weeks. Be sure not to let the growing medium dry out, and don't over-water; the seedlings are very vulnerable to drought and root rot.
When the seedlings are a couple inches tall, transplant them to larger pots.
The young plants need a lot of care; it takes about three years before the plants are ready for the field.

Aloha, Dave

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Mulberry, FL

I bought some seed from germany I grew it in kitty litter it worked great for me. What I learned is never let it dry out. I have mine in a pots out side now It takes time for it to get going but when it does it will grow like a weed..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.