Beatiful Green Caterpillar

I found a beautiful green caterpillar in my driveway this morning, and I suspect he may have fallen out of our maple tree. We live in Missouri and I'm trying to identify what type of caterpillar he is so I can a) either return him to his habitat, or b) put him in something with food and see what he turns into.

He resembles a tomato worm, but does not have the telltale stripes along his side or the horn. He also is not smooth like a tomato worm, but appears "segmented" with each segment having a flat peak with a tuft of "hair" at each point. Along the sides of these ridges, he has yellow lines (both sides of the body) that run vertical versus horizontal along the edge of the ridge. He does not have any "antennae," nor does he have a horn on his tail. He is about two and a half inches long and bright (lime) green. His face is light brown with little hairs. Does anybody have any idea what he is? I can't seem to find anything else on the internet.

Thanks!

Gina

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Try the Io moth http://images.google.com/images?q=Io+moth&btnG=Google+Search The caterpillars have a painful sting so be careful.

:( Nope...this isn't him. He is much smoother, doesn't have this many little hairs on his body, but the shape is pretty close.

New Paris, OH

Could be a Luna or polyphemus moth. Don't kill it. Get some leaves from the tree it was on and put it in a jar. be sure to mist the jar daily so the thing can get a drink.

Lyndeborough, NH

LOL There are 772 species of hornworm..

Here is some more to look at..

Byron

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.