Topdressing + pumice+soil amendments

Pacific Northwest, WA(Zone 8a)

What is a good top-dressing to use?
In some books I see this neally nice tan grit,but all I can find is white& red lava rock and pumice.Also where can you get pumice in larger amounts.I am going broke buying small bags of pumice,top-dressing,soil etc.There must be somewhere you can get this stuff in larger amounts.

Valley Village, CA

I know it's a mystry. You may be able to purchase it in garden supply stores. Not nursery's I like the pure white form not the yellow. It should run about $8.00 per 60lbs.
I don't like pumice for top dressing because it is white, it floats to the top. Try to get a brown/red/black top dressing it comes in bags at builders supply stores, anyway down here it does. So does pea gravel, make sure it is the washed kind,it will hold the soil in, the weeds out. Try roofing supply companys, see if you can obtain gravel that is tan. I like to match my gravel with the color of the pot so it looks as if it is one. You have so many mountains where you are, you may find colored rocks in those hills [;o)) if so, grab one and break it up with a hammer. Sand stone breaks up easy with a hammer, I mix it in with my soil. Granit the African plants love, you may be able to buy it in bulk at Pet shops. Not all top dressing are going be be neatly arranged in a row for you to buy. Good luck hunting, it just may be fun. Crasulady

Valley Village, CA

I forgot to tell you, I have looked in vacant lots for loose gravel, then I size it with strainers according to the size of the plant. Cactus, I like to use a coarse gravel, look along your side roads. Tiny plants I use a very small gravel, etc. Bonzi shops have strainer in different sizes, I use my kitchen strainer, the big one that is used to drain spegitti. 1/4-1/8-1/2" size strainer will be needed. Crasulady

At first I was using I was using rounded river rock pebbles.After reading something somewhere that recomended volcanic rock, because it is lighter & more porous,I switched to that.I was worried that the pebbles would compact the soil too much,and hold the moisture in too long.I really like your idea about finding some interesting type of rock and crushing/straining it.Another thing I am looking for is a recipe for a really good cactus soil mix so I can make up a bunch of it.
Eric

near Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

Chicken and turkey grit can be used. It is usually crushed granite in 50 lb. bags and available at livestock feed supply stores. It may need to be washed. The fine grit can be used in the soil mix. About 6.00 a bag. John

Valley Village, CA

Any luck in finding top dressing? When you do will you let us know, along the roads, driveways, parks? I found some at the local garden center, it is expensive. $2.00-$3.00 for a little bag. Free is a much better price. Crasulady

I am going camping this week so I will be keeping my eyes peeled for some potential topdressings

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

For top dressing, I often buy 30 or 40 lb. bags of aquarium gravel, the natural-looking kind. You can usually find the color you want with a little shopping.

Valley Village, CA

I can't get turkey or chicken grit down here. I've looked. The British use this kind of grit in their mix. I like 1/4" pea gravel for top dressing it has weight. I also like 1/4" Mexican gravel that you can get in aquarium store, but I don't like in shiny. I have noticed the the little stuff slides down the mountain sides along the roads. Small pebbles allow the soil to drain fast, sand stops water from draining, so we use this mixture at the Huntington. 60% pumice, 30% coarse builders wash sand, and 10% forest bark.
You will get 50 receipes from this group.
In Washington there is an very active cactus and succulent group. On the back of my CSSA Journal they are listings from all over the Country. If any of you want to find a group, you may get lucky and find one within 30 miles of your house, they will share their soil receipes with you. contact me privately.

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

speaking of top dressing, when in mexico last year I was curious about the clay looking substance they put on the top of their plants that were on tables. I imagine it was to stop dust flying into food. does anyone know what it was? I thought it would be interesting to try. is it supposed to be good for plants, or just people food?
new to succulents, and curious.

Valley Village, CA

Just changed the mix at the Huntington, thank goodness.
Now it's 60% pumice 20% coarse sand, 20% forest bark, it smells good.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Gonzalo..hi. I have found large bags of grit or pea gravel around the bags of concrete in places like Home Depot and other big hardware outlets..good luck// Elaine

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

does anyone know a good source for pumice? years ago when i used to lived in L.A., Ca. i used to get them in bulk. unfortunately, my source moved and lost track of them.

i prefer to use pumice rock cause once they get wet - they stay in place, yet not make the soil around the plant soggy. plue it is a good aerator to the roots of the plant.

there were some at ARmstrong Nursery but their prices are too horrendous for my meager income. i'd appreciate it very much if anyone can provide a source or even a web site.

thanks... ma vie rose

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

does anyone know a good source for pumice? years ago when i used to lived in L.A., Ca. i used to get them in bulk. unfortunately, my source moved and lost track of them.

i prefer to use pumice rock cause once they get wet - they stay in place, yet not make the soil around the plant soggy. plue it is a good aerator to the roots of the plant.

there were some at ARmstrong Nursery but their prices are too horrendous for my meager income. i'd appreciate it very much if anyone can provide a source or even a web site.

Norma... pumice does not float. it is perlite that float! i've used pumice all the years i've been planting, except when i moved in the upper desert of So. Calif. we are so isolated, i hardly even know of any nursery around, my source of plant is Home Depot & WalMart.

thanks... ma vie rose

MVR,pumice does float,lighter than water as also does perlite' Large pieces are used for bathing purposes,removing calluses on the body also' Please MVR this is not intended to discredit you only a fact'HTH,Sis'

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Sis... i do not take no offense, not at all. well, i guess it depends on the size of pumice used. i use the size almost to a quarter of an inch. plus once incorporated into the planting mix and watered --- they do stay in place! perlites do float on the top of soil mixture,specially when plants are watered. in all the years of gardening, my preference is to use pumice rather than sand or perlite - it does not ooze out of the potting medium plus it aerates the roots of the plant... ma vie

Perhaps these can help you locate your needs:
Cal Herbolds Nursery(760-244-9438)

H&E Do It Yourself Center(760-949-5389)

Herbolds Cal Nursery(760-244-6125)

M&N Nursery(760-949-3771)

Oak Hills Nursery(760-947-6261)

Pilgrim Peach Comp(760-949-1219)May be more in your phone book also or yellow pages'HTH,Sis'

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

sorry for replying late Sis. yes, i did call Herbolds Nursery - they will try to get some pumice from Whitney Farms. the other places mentioned do not carry pumice rock - they do not even know what i am talking about. will keep u posted when i get some. Thank You...ma vie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.