Okie Hatch Underway

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow.. they look jam packed already! Are you going crazy yet? I thought I had a handful hatching 30.. I hope you have help and plenty room.. how fun would it be to have that many!

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

LOL YES I am going nuts, there is 4 levels to this brooder. I have more boxes/cages to use if and when I need to. the bigger ones will go out in the coop this week sometime. Got a cold spell coming in tonight so will wait till probably the end of the week.

I need to find out a way to sound proof their corner they are in .................they can get loud.

Ok how do you figure percentage. It has been a very very long time since I had to.

up to 73 now. OMG my husband is going to flip.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

73 BABIES AT ONCE????!!!!! KERPLUNK! (That was me hitting the floor in a swoon).

lol yea and there is 13 that is a week older and 12 that are about 3-4 weeks old also.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Percentage? As in percentage hatched? You take the number of eggs hatched divided by the original number of eggs. So, for example, if you had

40 eggs hatch / 50 original eggs set = 40/50 = 0.8 which is 80%

If you were at 9 dozen eggs and you have 73 hatched then 73/108 = 68% right now.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I wonder if turkens are hardy here? Probably not. This is the now. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=weather_cams&placecode=caab0049&pagecontent=weather_cams&camregion=canada&camera=CMAB0014

ok right now I am at 43 percent, and more pips coming on.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Dahlianut,
How cold is Alberta winter lows? Below zero?
We will have to look that up. If i find any info I will let you know.
If someone else knows... ;)
I live in NY zone 5a, a bit warmer than you. hmmmm

So sorry Claire forgot to say thanks for the way to figure percentage.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Luvs, what an awsome experience. Do you hatch this many a lot?
Wow! I would just love to be there to play for an hour. :(
I love the fluufy stage.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

sewincircle. Here are the stats for Calgary 0C is 32F. We get Chinooks though so we are- warmer than those north of us. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/statistics/C02082/caab0049

1st time. Probably wont do any more hatches until late next month. Come on over and play for an hour. They are just to cute.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Alberta is chilly. Brrrrr!
I will look it up though. I want them (Turkens) too!

Luvs, can we meet half way? It might take me awhile to get there.

LOL I am NOT loading up chirping birds in the cab of my truck. I hear them in my sleep as it is now.

Big Lake, MN(Zone 4a)

dahlianut that is a heat wave you have going, a little chilly maybe, but not what Minnesotans call cold!!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

ROFLOL!
Okay Okay...Pictures will have to do.
I am getting the itch to hatch. Hold me back!
Must ...wait... til... spring...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL I can picture little fluffy peepers swarming everywhere throughout the cab as luvs tries to peer through the them to see the road.

Clarkson, KY

Do I detect some Minnesotan snobbery?! Hmmmm? ;-p

yea for real. I said them same words no hatch till spring, I didnt have an incubator so I stuck to it then...........................I got a great deal on these 2 and here I am. Knee deep in chicks.

Clarkson, KY

Oooh boyoboy -Shades of the Clampetts!!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

surreybrit, do your winters get really cold? Colder than Alberta Canada?
If so, do you know or have Turkens? Or know if they are hardy in that climate?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No kiddin Surreybrit ;o Everyone assumes we're colder because we're farther north.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

NOW I HAVE A REALLY FUNNY IMAGE THAT WILL KEEP ME LAUGHIN ALL NIGHT NOW!
A sea of bittys all over the truck! hehehe! I WANT BABIES! GREEN is my new color. Color me jealous.

You should see when I am taking out the empty waterer and feeder and trying to keep them in and put their food and water back in. I signed up for this I am in for the long haul.

Clarkson, KY

Just be careful where you walk. Found out the hard way it can be better that they not trust you completely...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I would become a permently shuffler. No lifting of the feets at all.

Big Lake, MN(Zone 4a)

Sewincircle, yes it gets really cold here. I don't know about all parts of Alberta, just checked Dahlianut's area. This morning the temperature was 9 but it gets to -20 at times, sometimes colder. That is why in about 18 days I am heading to Texas for a few months. As we do this each year it precludes having any chickens, and yes I know I could have them for a while and then 'cull' for meat but that is not for me. All I know about chickens is what I have gleaned from this site. I have no idea why I am so addicted to reading all the posts except that you crazy people make me smile and laugh. Heck I even checked out a British site, Claire would have a 24/24 job policing the spelling there, as a Brit myself I was really amazed and dismayed.

Clarkson, KY

The world follows our lead. 'Tis a sad thing in many instances.

Surrey -Why not just take them with???

Big Lake, MN(Zone 4a)

Grownut if they were following your lead they have overtaken you by a mile.

If we were taking our RV like we usually do just might have been able to sneak a couple along. However this year because my DH lost his drivers license, due to diabetes, I have to drive the car .The only splace that will be available would be to strap them on the top. Can just imagine the reaction in the RV park if I turned up with chickens.

Sorry Luvs did not mean to take over your thread. Was so glad to see your post this morning, I had been checking and was worried something had gone wrong as it was so long between posts. I kept thinking life could not be that cruel after what you had been through this last week. So happy for you that things are going well.

Maybe the reason I don't usually post is because I know Claire will spot my spelling mistakes. My spelling is much better than my grammar so please don't appoint someone to police grammar.

Surrey, No worries at all. i do not mind, I usually am very busy this time in the evening but I got the night off from "home duties".

I try to spell correctly,(thank god for spell checker) and my grammar, well it is what it is. I dont worry.

More chicks went into the nursery, Will have to do the count in the morning, trying to settle them down now so I can sleep tonight.

Clarkson, KY

Surrey, just think how happy Claire always is when she gets to put on her spelling police tights and cape (with fleecy footies) A little giving goes a long way. And grammar is obsolete -I don't even get a uniform, unitard, or any other uni...(sigh)

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Surrey, Another funny image for me to giggle about. Chicken cages strapped to the top of your car, feathers flying everywhere. hehehe
I would not worry about spelling, I will make ya look good! Great actually!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

How about a unibrow, unicorn, unicycle? Oh thats bad!
Sorry... :( spank self

lol on the UNI...............

Yes I have visuals of the birds strapped to the top and explaining that to customs.

Clarkson, KY

They just look like birds. Actually they're.....

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Gotta love a good imagination

Oh for sure.

(Zone 7b)

Hello Ladies:) Been putting up christmas lights all afternoon bet you could see my house from outer space. Luvs your chicks are so cute i was sitting here makeing out my christmas cards and said i will sneak a look at the forum.
I hatch big too to have spring and summer chickens to sell i do 60 at a time then 2 weeks later 60 again. But i did so well this year before the pox of course i'm raiseing my numbers next year. Going to get me a new incu the havabator that sets its self and all you do is add water. Planning on doing 300 or more this year :0)
Luvs i have a top hatch i nither love it or hate it it hatches great and the turner is wonderful.
But that thermostat is a pickle to get adjusted and it will get all out of wack if you look sideways at it.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

300....Thud
WOW! thats a lot of chickens!
WOW! thats a lot of fluff!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.