What is the most fragrant flower in your plantings?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

oopsss...well there's the leaf...ugh...was taking pics for plantfiles obviously...here's the "right" one

Thumbnail by Chantell
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow, that is a pretty good size.

Hebron, KY

How couldI forgot to add another favorite fragrant plant?!

The 'tall' Phlox! ( Phlox paniculata )
Beautiful colors and wonderful smell! I just have to keep the Wild Rabbits away from it, because they love it as much as I do!

Thanks for the welcome, Chantell! :-)

Marilyn

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Every year I tell myself to remember to plant some of that Phlox - do I remember...nahhhhh. I swear I planted some years ago (before I knew about DG and to check on vendors reputations) and it never came up :( Gonna do it this year....I will, I will, I will!!!
Nicole - yes, I thought you'd be pleased with that size!!! Happy to enable you as others have me!!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I have seen phlox in the catalogs, of course, but did not realize they were fragrant. I have often considered planting them because they are tall and description says they have plenty of bloom. Thankyou for the reminder. I will definitely plant some this year.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh my....another plant to add to my wish list! lol I love this thread!

Hebron, KY

Here''s are 5 one-gallon pots of Agastache rupestris ( Licorice Mint or Sunset Hyssop ) that I have growing in one of my flowerbeds.

Pic taken 7/23/07 at 6:21 pm EDT

I just love the scent of Agastache rupestris! When I'm pinching the stems to make the plant bushier, I just have to smell the stems of the plant! Just love to keep adding ( and having lots of Agastaches for the Hummingbirds ) these wonderful plants to the garden!

This message was edited Dec 30, 2008 1:52 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Another look....

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Closer look at the flowers....

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

I'm going to start a new thread of Agastaches, so I don't tie this one up with any more of my pics. :-)

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I planted some Plox from seeds last year but the rabbits must have eaten them. They came up a little bit but never had a chance.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh Marilyn you're fine...we don't get pressed about that sort of thing over here. If we did - they'd have kicked me to the curb long ago!! LOL

Hebron, KY

LiliMerci,

I find the young wild rabbits are the worst ones ( of the wild rabbits ). I sprinkle some ground cayenne pepper on plants that wild rabbits like/love to eat.

I go to Kroger's ( if you have one near you ) and get their big plastic bottle of it ( it's alot cheaper for the size and alot cheaper going to Kroger and buying their own Kroger brand of spices ). It's the 16 oz. ( 1 lb. )size. It has a red round plastic cap on it that you can sprinkle ( and it has a opening for dipping ). The bottle is clear plastic.

The ground cayenne pepper has to be sprinkled on after it rains also.

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Chantell,

LOL! I just didn't want to tie the thread up with my pics, but thanks! :-)

Marilyn

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Chantell, the daphne are about to burst, the buds are swelling, and I would say about the 20th down here.BTW, they should do pretty well where you live.
Mike

Edited to say I am ancious, because I do have the wet weather blaugs, and every thing went wrong, like leaky hose, due to light freeze, and one of my cats missed the box, and yuck !!

This message was edited Jan 5, 2009 11:39 AM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Doin' the happy dance...gonna take a peek at mine and see if I can find any buds or buds to be!!!

Hebron, KY

How could I forget Dianthus 'Firewitch'! Love the scent! I had one before and need to get another!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Guess I have another for my want list. I am very anxous to try some of the suggestions here. Come on spring!

Beeville, TX(Zone 9a)

THREE YEARS since I posted to this thread???

Bump,

for old times sake! lol

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oldie but a goodie

One of the most fragrant in my garden so far is Dianthus "Itsaul White"http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/DIIW.html you can smell it from many feet away
but I'd have to say the #1 is Sweet Autumn Clematis can smell it across the yard and around the corner

It's on my list to get more fragrant flowers.
kinda disappointed when flowers have no scent at all

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, thats a loaded question, lol. The most fragrant...gosh depends on the time of the garden year. Peonies, lily of the valley, lilacs, my wild roses, nicotiana (sweet sensation), sweet alyssum, prunus cistena, Mayday tree, trumpet lilies, dianthus X loveliness, cosmos, sweetpeas, philadelphus (mock orange) and honeysuckle vine. Kathy.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have daphne that is about to burst in bloom. Winter honeysuckle in Feb. Gardenia, dianthus, mock orange, peony, seven son, and of coarse, wild honeysuckle, that takes over. I have a sweet autum clemitis, that has run wild in the lower portion of the yard, that I'm trying to natualise, and the clemitis is not native, but climbs the trees.As of now, I have other interest, so let her climb. Mike

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh that Daphne fragrance is wonderful!!!! Mine died :(

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

the most fragrant are osmanthus(ooh), brugmansias, brunfelsia(ahh), mock orange, ylang ylang, michelia, butterfly gingers, hedychiums, telosma cordata(mmm),cattelayas, begonia odorata, crinums, sweet almond, gardenia and of course there is nothing like crushed allspice leaves. seven son and daphne? have to look those up

Thumbnail by candela
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Right now, the winter daphne are going nuts with perfuming the yard.

Marathon, FL(Zone 11)

Most fragrant... top of the list would be Michelia Alba. Close seconds are Michelia Champaca and Cananga Odorata(Ylang Ylang). Not only are their fragrances incredibly beautiful, the fragrances waft for great distances. I can smell 1 single Alba bloom several feet away and a tree in full bloom will nearly scent my entire block.

I also love Orange Jasmine, Osmanthus,Plumerias(some, not all are very fragrant), Simpsons Stopper(Myrcianthes fragrans), Portlandia Grandiflora,( this one needs warm, humid and lots of blooms on it to smell the vanilla, chocolate scent) Aglaia odorata(Chinese perfume plant,t such a pure, beautiful lemon scent), Aloysia virgata(Sweet Almond-almond and vanilla), Osmanthus fragrans, Osmanthus fragrans Fudingzhu, Osmanthus fragrans aurantiacus, Brunfelsia Americana, Brunfelsia densifolia, Brunfelsia gigantea, Brunfelsia lacteal- one of these, not sure which one, is very spicy and almost smells like allspice at night.

I have 2 Stemmadenia littoralis- Milky Way trees and they do small nice but the fragrance doesn't travel for and to my nose they smell like Simple Green Cleaner. Nice, beautiful trees and always blooming, just not as fragrant as would like.

One of my all time favorites is Heliotrope. INCREDIBLE!!!! But it just will not grow down here. I've had several of them and as soon as the summer heat kicks in they just cannot take it.

Marathon, FL(Zone 11)

Candela... I have never heard of telosma cordata before. I'm not wild about vines, but this is one I'll have to check out. What is the fragrance like?

Finally ....the edgeworthia

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Islandgirl37 .
my telosma cordata is in a pot not a huge out of control vine so far. The smell reminds me of osmanthus. A must have for a fragrant garden. I will try and take a picture for you. Do you have an updated picture of your ylang ylang after you cut it way back last year I am ready to cut mine way back.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Our Gardenia jasminoides 'Kleim's Hardy' is blooming now and smells fabulous.

Fragrance here is provided by these plants Chionanthus virginicus fringe tree, oriental lilies, OT lilies,peonies, dianthus and nepeta the foilage smells like mint.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes the Gardenias have arrived...here's old faithful 'Shooting Star' - 5' + tall now...sweet girl

Edit to say - oops photo's upside-down...ugh

This message was edited May 30, 2012 8:29 AM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...I'm a little OCD and that photo is annoying me....here she is right side up

Thumbnail by Chantell
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

nice, i have never seen that gardenia.

alot of fragrance in the garden now with all this rain. plumeria, sweet almond, michelia, begonia, crinum lily

Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela

So missing the Fl potential for all those wonderful tropical blooms and fragrances. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale Jr. High and some HS years - but too young to appreciate gardening opportunities -- did a lot of crabbing tho and now miss that too!

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

My garden group has a Daphne in its display garden near a seating bench, and it is nice in bloom. In my own yard, plain old yellow or white Four-O'Clocks are very nice on warm summer evenings.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Well, let's see: cape jasmine gardenia, wild honeysuckle, clove drops carnations, dianthus, hyacinths, irises, roses, abelia which smells like honey, petunias when I can get them to grow, grapes have a faint smell when they are in bloom, peaches and apples. And snapdragons. The blueberry bushes have a faint smell. Pine trees. Thrift, which my son thinks stinks. I used to have some eleagnus which had a wonderful scent. I had to cut it down because it became invasive. I think I have covered it. Luciee {;^) P.S: Gardenia is most fragrant in my yard. L

This message was edited Dec 23, 2012 8:39 PM

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

We have talked about fragrant flowers, but there are some great plants with fragrant foliage. I have a geranium that I brought inside for the winter with leaves that smell like old-fashioned roses. I plant a lot more basil than I can use in the veggie garden. I just like the way it smells when I am foraging around.

West Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

I also have wildhoneysuckle all around the edges of my garden . Heavenly, but a pain ti keep out of the garden. Planted i agree with sweet olive, mock orange, confederate jasmine, but my fav are antique roses.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

#1 Mock orange in the Summer, my myer lemon smells good too. My daffodils just finished blooming and I have sooo many that they really make the garden smell wonderful. If anyone wants smelly daffodils I have tons extra, they really multiply well, LOL. Lavender and rosemary in summer. Honeysuckle, I love honeysuckle!
I have allergies so I'm pretty careful what I plant as far a smelly plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.