Lets hear what everyone is growing

Highland Park, IL(Zone 5a)

This is my first post to Dave's, and Im so excited! Id love to hear what everyone is growing. I've just started to really like hostas this season. I've found they are great for our shady yard to give color, texture and to lighten it up. The new hostas I've added this fall are
Austin Dickenson
Fan Dance
Ming Treasure
Minute Man
Loyalist
Innswood
Flame Stich
Summer Music
Summer Breeze
and On Stage
The more established ones are
Great Expectations
Frances Williams
Big Daddy
Blue Angle
Tokudama 'Blue Shadows'
Day Break
Emerald Tiara
Blue Blazes
Kabitan
Sun Spot
and a few more I havn't kept track of. Hopefully I'll have divisions to trade in the spring or fall next year. I would love to hear about your experiences with what you grow, what is on your wish lists, any helpful tips or hints to grow better hostas. Im new at this, but it has become an addition, quickly. Thanks.

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

Justaysam,
Nice to see you here. I'm not planting any more hostas this fall. Really, I'm not. I planted the last 4 I had in pots last weekend and that's it (do I hear chuckling in the background?). You have some of my faves...Daybreak, Inniswood, Summer Breeze. I love them big and gold!

Welcome (*~*)

Well welcome Justsaysam,from the Sunflower
State' Yikes,what a list' Blonde_Elf,hostas
are like Fritos,ya can't stop with just one',
Lol' I only have about a million August Moon,
one of my favs' It's bloomin' its head off now
too,and the hummers love them'I started with
only 4 bulbs,following year they had quadrupled,
and today,I gave up tryin' to count them' I make a
list of my neighbors who want them,then share
in spring' Also,I donated 'bout $500.00+ to our
Senior Center'DH says "no more",right,I'll sneak
them in,Lol' See ya,Sis'

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

This is the first year I've had hostas, as I just discovered them in June. We went to the greenhouse to pick out flowers for my father-in-laws funeral and they had a huge blue angel growing by the door. I fell in love with it and dh bought 3 of them for me. I have since added a few more of the common ones that walmart sells, as I have no gardening stores around here. I have also gotten a few from some very generous people for SASE, so this is my list:
Blue Angel
August Moon (this was actually my first, but I didn't know it was a hosta until later! LOL)
Royal Standard
Big Mama
Another one Laura sent with the Big Mama, but I'm at work and can't remember the name for sure. (Thanks again Laura)
Patriot
Lemon Lime (Thank you John,- gardenweb's diggindutchman)!
Antioch
Frances Williams
And a couple other babies that I don't know the names of.

Joan

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I dont know what any of mine are! :-( I have several giants though, and a chartreuse with yellow, and the standard variegated ones. They sure are pretty when they get full!

http://www.hoasta.org
Just to make ya take a look. I know some of you out there must have more!! LOL

(Zone 5a)

Hi, I'm a newbie to your fine forum thanks to Justaysam!
I'm a total hostaholic, but haven't had the time until recently to add much to my collection. Here's a list of what I have, minus the 10 unknowns! LOL! A modest list by the standards of those with 100+ in their collections.
8 on this list were added today, found a 40% sale at a nearby nursery! ;)
Abiqua Drinking Gourd
Aphrodite
Archangel
August Moon
Big Daddy
Birchwood Parky's Gold
Blue Angel
Blue Wedgewood
Brave Amherst
Bright Lights
Brim Cup
Christmas Tree
Color Glory
Diamond Tiara
Dorsett Blue
DuPage Delight
Emerald Tiara
Fair Maiden
Formal Attire
Fragrant Bouquet
Francee
Francis Williams
Fried Bananas
Geisha
Grand Tiara
Great Expectations
Ground Sulphur
Guacamole
Halcyon
Honeybells
Island Charm
Knockout
Krossa Regal
Lakeside Meter Maid
Lakeside San Kao
Lancifolia
Little Doll
Lucy Vitols
Midwest Magic
Mildred Seaver
Minuteman
Peace
PeeDee Graymulkin
Queen Josephine
Rascal
Regal Splendor
Robert Frost
Sagae
Sea Thunder
September Sun
Showboat
Spilt Milk
Stained Glass
Stetson
Sweet Home Chicago
Sum and Substance
Sun Power
Tatoo
Tokudamu Aureonebulosa
Torchlight
Tyler's Treasure
Undulata (doesn't everyone have this;)
Van Wade
Ventricosa
Whirlwind
Wide Brim
Yellow River

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Good grief. You guys make my attempts look feeble. I have 45 or so hostas, but can only identify a few of them. I bought bags full of hostas at Lowe's this spring on clearance (poor things looked awful) but they were only 50 cents for a dozen, so I took a chance. Most of them have grown beautifully, some will look much better next year. Problem is that I didn't keep up with what I planted where, plus I have been given some, so who knows?

Maybe in time, I'll figure them all out. Mostly, I don't care what they are, just that they are beautiful and make my yard look so awesome.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

O.k. I think since I have been here at DG the longest of everyone that has posted so far you guys each need to send me one of your hosta. Please e-mail me and I would send postage of course!!!!!! (ha-ha) Holy smokes I am an amateur. I have added some new ones this year:
whirlwind
scooter
ellerbroek
great expections
janet
blue edger
t. flavocircinals
fortunei albopicta
wrinkles and crinkles
brimcup
drinking gourd
queen josephine
lovepat
julia
june
elvis lives
Some others I have that I can think of right now are:
lemonlime
frances williams
emerald tiara
royal standard
bright lights
diamond tiara
golden tiara
francee
ground sulphur
kross regal
sum and substance
so sweet
groundmaster
bressingham blue
invincible
allan p. mcconnell
halcyon
irongate delight
lancifolia
plantaginea
yellow splash rim
sparkling burgandy
tokudama aureonebulosa.

and then of course there are the RARE STRIEKED ONE'S!
"DIANE GRAY DALTON"
and unknown seedling (diane's fancy??)!! Thanks to BigDave!!!!!!!!

sue

This message was edited Friday, Sep 7th 11:48 PM

This message was edited Friday, Sep 7th 11:52 PM

This message was edited Saturday, Sep 8th 8:28 AM

This message was edited Sunday, Sep 16th 6:59 PM

This message was edited Tuesday, Sep 25th 10:22 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

JoanJ, is that Dutchman John a Canadian? If so, I've met the fellow in person. Except I walked away with a bougainvillea instead of a hosta... That was at the Royal Canadian Weed Pullers Association party. ;o)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow, ya'll have some nice lists of hosta's!!! I love them too. I don't have many, maybe about 30 varieties, and added about half of them just this year. Looking forward to adding more and chatting with ya'll. If you want to see what I'm growing just peek here: http://davesgarden.com/gj/jody/viewbycat/570.html
I have been taking pics of them as they bloom, but I got busy so lots did not get a pic this year.

Great list Jody' So far I just have August Moon'

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Digginduthman lives in NJ. He is also a member here at davesgarden. The first trade I made here was with him. sue

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

Sis - you have have only August Moon this year. We'll see that you have many, many more next year. hee hee.

It's funny how you hang out at a hosta forum, then you feel this urge to get more hostas...

Jody, I've got to figure out that journal gizmo. I love the way you have your hostas listed!

(*~*)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Blonde Elf
If you need some help with that journal gizmo, just give me a holler, lol, glad to help if I can.

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Jody! I really haven't spent time going thru everything here -- there's so much -- and I'm usually short on time. I'll sure give you a holler if I need help.

(*~*)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Wow, another gardening Dutchman named John! Well, I suppose it's not the rarest name in the book. ;o)

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

No it's not, Janet... and I live a hosta's throw from Diggindutchman John! John

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Okay, I'm confused. Is the diggindutchman from gardenweb the same pardancanda from DG? I'm new so please give me time to connect the names between the sites. LOL

Anyway, John, diggindutchman from GW sent me a replacement Lemonlime when something totally ate mine to the dirt as a baby. I'm forever greatful for that.

And Laura, I'm sorry, but can't find your GW name, sent me a Big Mama and a surprise. I'm thinking that it's maybe our own Blonde Elf? Are you the one and the same? I'm also forever greatful for your kindness.

I'm on both sites, as I'm trying to glean any info I can from experienced gardeners. (I'm a new gardener). I'm tryingtogarden on GW. Would anyone else care to email me with both their screennames so I know these are one in the same person?

Joan (who wants to get to know everyone)

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Well that's it! I'm going shopping today..I have only about five kinds..
Hostas are very expensive up here in Canada.
I did get a couple for $5.00 Honeybells (fragrant flowers)..on sale..but most are in the range of $9.00 to $40.00.
I saw Abiqua Drinking Gourd at a Hosta specialty garden ..lusting after it..but it was $40.00!
My sister gave me one huge plant that I divided into 9 plants and they are all doing well..
I have ....
Royal Standard
Plantain
Honeybells
Blue one..name unkown
Variegated white and green..name unknown

We don't have Lowes up here but we do have Home Depot.
I'll go look there.

Whew,I think I'm outta place here with
only my 1 hosta,lol' Thanks for the offer
Blond_Elf,appreciate it'' Our small town
here keeps an eye on "my yard" and every
chance I get to visit,they don't go away
empty handed,lol' The elders can't believe
that I grow so many different plants here'I
started xeriscaping too this spring,now have
a great courtyard for my containers'

(Zone 4b)

Joan, I'm puppper here and pupper at GW. I'm also having a hard time remembering who everyone is with 2 usernames. So I kept it simple and use the same name.

Sis, if you would be interested in hostas for postage drop me a line with your snail mail. I'm sure we could get a couple more hostas nestled into your gardens.

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Joan!

I'm Laura (lotsahosta) and I'm the one who emailed you about this hosta forum. I think the extra hosta I sent you was a Yellow Splash Rim. For a long time I was the only "Laura" on the garden forums, but lately there are several. Too many. So when I joined Dave's, I picked a nickname so there wouldn't be any confusion. I guess it's not working.

I still use the same signature = (*~*)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Ahhhh!!!! Thank you all for letting me know who you all are on both forums. I will get this figured out without the help of a spreadsheet yet! LOL All I need to do is hang around and get to know everyone better. By next spring, I will know everyone, as well as how many kids they have, pets, their jobs, etc. LOL

Laura: Yes!!!! Yellow splash rim. That's the extra you sent with big mama. When I posted, I was at work and being the newbie I am, I couldn't remember the name until I got home and looked at the marker! There's so many hostas out there, but I'll get this all figured out yet. Both plants are doing well, and so far big mama hasn't been attacked by slugs once since she's been here. I'm just waiting for the day the slugs figure out that I've planted hostas though. I'm hoping that it's too cold here for them, but I've heard rumors of them from others in the area. So, I'm just biding my time I think. I'm so glad I found all you before winter. I need a way to feed my obsession during the long cold months. LOL

Joan

Eugene, OR

Hi - got to this thread late! I'm finchlady at both forums. I have to keep everything the same for my own "mental safety" (LOL) ... I have a good memory it's just really short!!!!! Looking forward to getting a grip on the journal here as will help my records. As a newbie I've kinda gone from zero to 60 in nothing flat adding new hostas. I'm glad I found all you also before the ugly weather sets in. Went through a bad spell anticipating the disappearance of all my "gorgous kids"!!! LOL. Kate :)

Thanks BlondeE and Pupper for offering your hostas to me'
However,just read a post saying the "mail" will not be what
we've been used to,for quite awhile' Sad,but true,I'll take a "raincheck" though'''Sis'

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Guess I should tell what I'm growing. here goes.
Abba Dabba Do
Abiqua Drinking gourd
August Moon
Blue Boy
Brim Cup
Black hills
Blue Angel
Blue Ice
Blue Mammoth
Blue Mountains
Bunchoko AKA Gonko Craig
Cheatin Heart
Cinnamon Sticks
Cherry Berry
Color Glory
Cream Edge
Christmas Tree
Emily Dickinson
Electrum Slater
English Sunrise
Fragrant Bouquet
Francee
Frances Williams
Fire and Ice
F. Albo Picta
F. Aureo Marginata
Gold Standard
Golden Teacup
Golden Tiara
Ground Master
Great Expectations
Guarcian Angel
Guacamole
Halcyon
Heart's Content
Inniswood
Island Charm
Jade Beauty
Just So
June
Knock Out
Krossa Regal
Loyalist
Lacy Belle
Lunar Eclipse
Lovely Loretta
Minute Man
Patriot
Pauls Glory
Paul Revere
Revolution
Royal Tiara
Royal Standard
Sagae
Sea Beacon
Sea Thunder
Shade Fanfae
S. Elegans
Scooter
Stiletto
So Sweet
Striptease
Sum and Substance
Summer Music
Sunshine Glory
Topaz
U. Medio-variegata
Ventricosa
White Christmas
Wide Brim
Yellow Splash Rim
Plus a hundred or so assorted seedlings from 1-3 years old.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Wow Wow Wow!!!!
I just started on my hosta collection and have about 8 varieties..
Blue Angel
Lancifolia
Snow cap or Heart Song -not sure which it is.
Unknown -blue type
Unknown- big leaf .yellowy in the spring. turning green in the summer with darker green edge
Undulata Variegata
Royal Standard
Unknown other
Must try to find the names..
I want to find some plant stakes that I can write the names on. Any ideas out there?
What do you use to name yours in the garden?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow Cala, thats a great list!!!

Did you get any fried banana's, if not, I'll send one your way!! Am trying to control myself and not go to homestead today, :)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Jody
If you must go, buy one for me too!!! We're covered up at the green house selling mums and fall stuff, so it will be a while before I get to go hosta shopping again.
Nope, I didn't get Fried Bananas, so save that one for me!!!!
PS, sending a "surprise" package your way today to say thanks for being such a good hostess while we were visiting and for putting together the "secret trade".
Cala

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

JoanJ, Pardancanda formerly of GW is still Pardancanda now of Dave's. The diggindutchman is also named John, and lives near me in NJ at the shore. I've posted what I'm growing under the Hosta entry, under Perennials, on Pardancanda's Trade List here at Dave's. This is an inventory, not many can be divided at this point, as many are new from recent trades. If something really interests anyone, however, please feel free to ask! John

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Cala...I can't stand it, hehehe, I have to go to homestead at least once a week to get a "plant fix", lol. You bet I'll get you some too!!!

A suprise box for me...that is soooo sweet. It was my pleasure to have ya'll here visiting my gardens!!! You shouldn't have...but I'm glad you did, LOL.

Hi
These are the ones I'm growing, but most of them are very new.

1.regal splendour;
2.Moonlight;
3.undulata albo marginata;
4.fortunei aureo marginata;
5. snowflakes;
6. birchwood Parky's gold;
7. big daddy
8. frances williams
9. halcyon;
10. inniswood;
11. Salute;
12. undulata unvatatta;
13. Golden Tiara,
14.Albomarginata
15. gold standard
16. Blue Angel;
17. Color Glory;
18. Minuteman;
19. honeybells,
20. June
21. Great Expectations;
22. August Moon;
23. Wide Brim;
24. Paul's Glory;
25.Medio Picta;
26.Montreal;
27. Night Before Christmas,
28. Elegans ,
29. undulata variegated;
30. janet;
31. mountain snow;
32. sun Power;
33. Loyalist
34. Queen Josephine
35. Pearl Lake
36 Sharmon
37. Hadspun Blue
38. Fire & Ice
39. Sum & Substance
40. Patriot
41. Fragrant Bouquet
42. So sweet
43. Summer Music
44. Francee
45. Hyacynthia
46. Sagae
47. Abiqua Moonbeam
48. Pizzazz
49. Strip Tease
50. Cherry Berry
51. Abba Dabba Do
52. Guacamole
53. Royal Standard
54. White Christmas
55. Little Aurora
56. Aureonebulosa (Tokudama
57. Tokudama Flavocircinalis
58. Montana Aureo-marginata
59. september sun
60. On Stage
61. Blonde Elf
62. Krossa Regal
63. Heartache
64. Mildred Seaver
65. Frosted Jade
66. Blue Mammoth
67. Aqua Velva
68. Bright Lights
69. Albo Picta
70. Lakeside Black Satin
71. Elizabeth Campbell
72. Potomac Pride
73. Bressingham Blue
74. Antioch
75. Shade Fanfare
76. plantaginea
77. Fan dance

Debbie :-)

Mckenna, WA(Zone 8a)

Joan, I'm the same on both sites also. Are you Joan on GW?

I'm growing around 140 types of hostas now and lots of shade perennials as companion plants. I've been making lots of lasagna beds to add more planting space. Good thing my DH isn't a lawn addict, he doesn't care how much lawn I rip out. He says, "it's less to mow".

Becki aka Rebas Ranch

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, Becki - you are so lucky your DH doesn't care when you wipe out an entire expanse of lawn, I have to fight for every foot of grass that I take out!

By the way, I'm completely responsible for Becki's addiction to hostas (and proud of it! Hehehe!) Isn't it great!?!

I grow about 190 types of hostas, and two years ago I had three. I dove in head first and have never looked back. It's great to be a hostaholic, it's great to be a hostaholic, it's great to be a hostaholic...

Andi

Mckenna, WA(Zone 8a)

How sweet it is! Loving every minute of it and the people involved with hostas are the greatest too!

Becki

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

WOW!!!!

I have Golden Tiara, Golden standard?, and an unknown. Can't really grow hostas in Florida!

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Tim, I'm in Montgomery, AL and I'm growing them like crazy. Are you that much more south than me?

Here's my list, pathetic compared to others, but growing..

albo marginata
august moon
aureo marginata
doubloons
francee
fragrant bouquet
gold crown
halcyon
minute man
royal standard
so sweet
stiletto
ventricosa

I also have approx. 30 unknowns. I love them whether they have formal names or not.

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

smiln,
Sure am, I'm in zone 9a/b.

Topeka, KS(Zone 5b)

Welcome, Tim! We have another Florida person who posts here--Sugar, are you out there?? She's growing hostas.

Golden Tiara is one of my favorites -- if you hang out with us, by the end of next summer you'll probably have more!

Laura (*~*)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Tim ~~~~~~~~ waving!

Welcome to our hosta forum home, glad you joined us. The standard you have is Royal Standard. Did you get the article I sent ya? Sure hope it helps a bit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.