Rainbow's End

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Take care Lady, you are an inspiration.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

It is very appropriate to discuss the trials & tribulations that we each go through due to this insidious disease called Cancer. The rainbow is a sign of promise & the hope for a bright future.

Chris: Wednesday(s) seem to be a very special day for bothy you & me. I will get my CAT scan results on Wed., November 26th, which marks my 2 year anniversary of being Cancer free. I'm a uterine cancer survivor. I have so much to be thankful for.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Shirley, I had no idea, 2 years is a big milestone. I hope we both get great news. ☺

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Shirley - so glad you put that out there...my brain...I'm just horrible with dates - I don't mean to be...it just happens.
Praying for good results for BOTH of you!!! Double-Hugs

Quoting:
I hope we both get great news.

Amen to that! Chris, from your lips to God's ears.

Chantel: I'm a private person & don't talk very much about myself. But I want you to know I greatly appreciate your thoughts & prayers.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I know Shirley...extra prayers are a good thing!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I had my MG today- I musta been a good girl cuz I got a sticker. But I can't show you...
I am reading a book about the flu epidemic of 1917-18, and its something else how much medicne has progressed in a hundred years. Thankfully!

Sally, what is the name of the book? Is it a novel based on fact?
I had an aunt and uncle that died in that epidemic and my mom told me stories about it. The aunt was the oldest of 5 childern and uncle the youngest. Mom told me that their graves had to be moved some years after and there was no hardware found from the caskets, the family thinks that there was such a shortage of caskets at the time that their's were resold, and they were just buried without a casket.

And High 5 on your MG. glad you got it done!

It's a non fiction, detailed (slightly slow and technical at times, but learning a lot) account. It sets the scene by telling the reader about the state of medicine at the time, about influenza and vaccination development, and the war happening at the same time was critical in spreading the virus all over, but also the defense department needing to try and address it so the poor boys didn't all die before they got to the battlefield...
The Great Influenza by John M Barry, who also wrote The Rising Tide about flooding in the Mississippi River in the early 1900's . Also pretty interesting.
I'd be happy to send you The Great Influenza when I'm done. It was just incredible, the suddenness and extent of mortality. I have no problem getting annual flu shots!!!!! it may help in some way prevent or lessen another pandemic.

Sally. I'll take you up on your book offer, no rush I just started a John Jakes novel "Charleston" . And have been reading The Alex Cross series. I read a few chapters before I turn out the lights. Helps me get to sleep.

I have to check with my oncologist before I get the Flu shot, she usually gives me a big Yes, but I always check first.

Great--I will take a bit getting thru it too so that works. I read awhile last night- one of the kitties had spent two days out in the cold and my son found him and got him in. Hubby was at a friend's, two younger kids at friend's, so I cozied up in the bedroom, gave the dog a nice piece of beef shank bone and had kitty-love night. That one poor kitty is petrified of the dog and spends most of his days in the basement.
: ^(
Then had trouble falling asleep cuz my face was itchy from kitty love
8 ^P

It's interesting to learn things and tie them in with what you know--like, one of the immune responses is a release of chemical to stimulate white cell production, which is in the bone marrow, so that's what causes bone aches in flu, not the virus itself. And that may be what's in the shot my mom got , which they cautioned might cause bone aches, (didn't) and which I was amazed that anyone had ever discovered; some chemical to make your body make white cells, but (may have) come from our own bodies.

Wanted to share one I came across in my folders. I can't swear that I didn't try to enhance this, to be totally honest.

Thumbnail by sallyg

No, I think that was au naturel. I have about six, and I found a copy of another that I labeled enhanced. (not posting enhanced one, it didn't really change) I'm prettty sure it was just a great rainbow.

Thumbnail by sallyg

CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!!! Double rainbows bring double their beauty & double the luck!

My luck was holding today when I went for my 2 yr visit to my Oncologist. He said my CAT scan was negative. That was a relief & the best news that I could have hoped for. There is so much to be thankful for!

Has anyone heard from Chris? I was thinking about her today.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhhh Shirley...happy tears....what wonderful news just in time for THANKSgiving!!!
Chris???? Where for art thou? Hugs

Thanks, Chantell. Yes, lots of very happy tears!

Chris: Please check in with us when you can. (((((HUGS)))))

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Shirley, That is truly a well deserved Thanksgiving Blessing. Check out the cookie thread. Lady was there earlier. Have a happy one!

Good morning everyone! Shirley that is great news! I am happy for you.
I met with my oncologist yesterday too. She showed me my bone scan, the problem with these scans is you can't differenchiate between healing bone and bone that is picking up the cancer. I now have something going on on both sides in the ribs. The right side when we push gently is sore, the left I don't feel any soreness.
When we looked at the tumor marker blood test it shows that the chemo pills I am on are working. The # was cut in half. So we were both happy about that.
The plan now is to continue with the chemo pills, (she is giving me a break when I go to Disney with DD, leaving next Friday). Then end of January, get a PET scan, CT scan. And review with her first week in February.
As soon as Hubby is out of my kitchen, he is getting the turkey ready to put in the smoker, I can start making my bread, trying a new recipe, Harvest Stuffing Bread, a slice and eat bread that tastes like stuffing.
Then onto baking the pumpkin pie.
Sally, Love your rainbow pictures! I seen a double once, I was so excited about that.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Shirley, what great great news for the holiday season.
Chris- so thankful that you have progress. Sure wish it could be faster and easier...........
I am still thankfull for the huge advanes in medicine in my parents lifetime- so much has changed since they were born. And work continuing. .
Disney will be fun, won't it? I don't know if I'll ever expect mother daughter trips. Right now she's 15 and we share about .05 percent common interests. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful rainbow pics Sally, Ah yes I remember those teen years so well.
Shirley, Great news
Lady, Sounds like you are doing pretty well and the trip to Disney will be so nice.
We had quite a bit of excitement here over the holiday, daughter Jen mother of little Lily, has had her new baby, little Lucas Brooks was born Wednesday night. I'll start a thread with the news and pictures but you guys are the first to hear.

Thanks Stormyla, Chris, Sally & HollyAnn for your very kind remarks.

Good to hear from you, Chris. Your Oncologist is taking excellent care of you, plus there are diagnostic tests to keep you informed. I know you are looking forward with great anticipation to your trip to Disneyworld! We look forward to your pictures!

HollyAnn: Congratulations on your new grandson! What exciting news!

This message was edited Nov 28, 2008 12:50 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Chris....so good to see you post!!! I'm sorry to hear about the ribs but the rest of that news seems reassuring - yes? And THAT trip to Disney with DD - ahhhhhh, seriously what the Dr. ordered!! You have an amazing time!!! Much love and hugs!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.