The nice thing about being a Great dane -

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

RITFLMBO

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ha ha ha...I second that emotion!

Yokwe,
Shari

Christchurch, New Zealand

lol - I have an image of a polar bear in a purple thong tap dancing on a hot tin roof :)

I work at an RSA - Returned & Services Association, we have a few WWII veterans but more K-Force (Korea) & Vietnam Vets come in to the bar these days.
Anyway many of them swear by prunes in gin.
They need soaking for 6 weeks before eating one a day.
I am guessing it is similar to the raisins - but I suspect a person of mature years might benefit from the daily prune as well as the dose of gin ;)

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My grandmother soaked fresh-picked plums in rhum and sugar for 4 months. They were a Holiday dessert item for adults only. The leftover heavy syrup was used to make cookies. Nothing went to waste in our house. She kept the prunes' pits to stuff pillows for our guests so they wouldn't overstay their welcome. She also used peach pits for stuffing pillows but we had way more plums growing in our trees than the amount of peaches we bought at the store. Waste not, want not.

Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

hahahaha House guests and fish begin to stink after three days. Never thought of putting rocks in the pillows.

As everyone knows, there are many ways to get rid of guests. Here are a few of mine:
- serve tofu, beans and broccoli a every meal,
- When you pass wind, blame the snake,
- brew weak and tepid coffee,
- use the chipped dishes,
- have the food you cook burn and stick.
- tell them the dishwasher is broken and have them pitch in at the sink,
- play classical music (I love harpsichord and pipe organ music anyway),
- watch recorded Laurence Welk tapes and André Rieux specials you recorded on PBS (HUGH),
- walk around in your underwear,
- scratch even if it doesn't itch,
- turn off the water heater,
- fight with your spouse constantly,
- make sure everyone is up and at it at 6AM,
- challenge them to a scrabble tournament (best 40 out of 79),
- hide the snake somewhere safe and tell them it escaped - enlist everyone in the search,
- etc., etc., etc.,

I could go on for hours.What's your technique for getting rid of sticky guests?

Sylvain.

mulege, Mexico

Wandering abck to an earlier topic, I have alway heard that garlic is OK for dogs and mine eat a lotof it. Onions and chocolate are no-no's.

Regardeing the last subject, six garlic-eating dogs is another way to discourage company from over-staying their welcome.

kb

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

whew!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

As always, Sylvain, you have it down to a science. LOL

Hap

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I never want guests to leave! Well, almost never! I really enjoy having friends and family stay for a while, does that make me weird?

Yokwe,
Shari

No, Shari. I don't think that makes you weird at all. But you see, Gail and I are used to being just the 2 of us alone in our house. After a while, we long for our quiet life back. Company pleases twice: once when they arrive and once again when they leave. Luckily, we don't have sticky friends and we have never needed to oust any of them away but as you can tell, I have a plan if that ever happened.

Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Also being on an island that is controlled by the gvomint precludes an awful lot of compny.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep, that is true Christi, but we can sponsor anytime we want someone to come visit...and I always loved company at our home stateside too. I guess it comes down to I like company, but I'd rather have it than be it...ya know?

Yokwe,
Shari

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

someday...

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

It's a beautiful confirmation of love/friendship = good friends/family who enjoy being with you SO much they come out to you. Magnificent!!! And people like that are bound to be 'close'... Really hard on short visits, eh Shari. So you share your little rock and get to relive it's beauty and uniqueness with them which renews your love for it each time!!! I hear you girlfriend..

We used to live on the small island of Menorca in Spain. It was 2 miles wide and 10 miles long and full of history...but when we lived there there were few flights per week and it was a real hassle, so we knew whenever anyone made that effort to visit us, they were really good people and good friends. (half crazy and bored enough to do it!)

Bob would rather come out of his shop for nutrients when he only MUST...but I do notice he lights up with company!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL...sounds like Bob hasn't changed too much! :)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol, it is so nice to hear my feelings put into words like that! It is obvious that you completely "grok" my situation...ha, anybody read Heinlein? I loved the concept of "grok" from Stranger in a Strange Land. My goodness! How we have gotten off topic yet again! Jenny dear, maybe we all want to be reincarnated as one of YOUR great danes! Talk about livin loved!!!

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yep Shari...grok is one of my very most favorite words!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aaah Grok, Stranger in a Strange Land!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

And to any who don't know what we're talking about...give it a read, great story, great characters and a wonderful concept of total understanding. Have fun!

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hear Hear...
funny that we've read that..that gives me a deeper look! Cheers!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yup...I grok you both mo'bettah!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You are surprised???? Not I. There is a reason we are friends...ha ha. Do you guys read David Baldacci? That is another guy that makes me THINK. Every story is like a challenge to ones little grey cells...he says, "OK, so that's what you are being told by TV, Newspapers, your government; so question, analyze, think! Now make up your own mind!" I love him. And here I go off topic yet again!!!

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

only in the sense that it is an obscure subject, but not surprised in the sense that we're cut from the same cloth so to speak.
I have read a Baldacci or two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.