digging tender perenials or take cuttings

Saint Louis, MO

I can't decide if I should dig one each of my lantana, mexican petunia, plumbago and angelonia and try to keep alive thru winter indoors or take cuttings now.
I had a 600 watt HID lamp but it was stolen and I'm not sure if I can keep these guys thriving without that. Would I be better off letting them all go dormant and take cuttings in spring? thanks for any advice.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Do you have a south facing window with good light? if so pot one up and give them a try - never hurts to try.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

You could also set up a 2 tube shoplite.That works well for most plants.Or dig up 1 of each and take a few cuttings as a backup.
Lynn

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Right - not the best but it really does work to keep a lot of things going. I will have lantana in my windows this winter.

Saint Louis, MO

thank you for your suggestions. I am about to dig up a few lantana and mexican petunias. I have one big south facing bay but the space is already spoken for by my bougenvilla and hibiscus which get first dibs cause they bloomed all winter last year. I think I will cut ruellia aand lantana back and put them under shop lights in basement and hope for the best.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I have overwintered Lantana in the basement under lights several times.Just don't keep it too wet,if your basement is cool.
Lynn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.