What's In YOUR Incubator??

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ok, I know a bunch of us are incubating. What are we all incubating and when are we due?

I have the following:
1 white rock bantam (from an order of creme brabanters and white rocks, only 1 egg appears to be fertile and making it). This egg is due on Friday.

A bunch of porcelain d'uccles and millies due to hatch on Thursday.

Some penedesenca eggs due later this month but I can't tell if any are good or not because they are too dark to candle.

Some jersey blue giant eggs that I think are duds.

Some mixed frizzle eggs that I think are duds.

Some silkie eggs (8) from about 10 days ago and I think most are duds.

Some nankin eggs (8) that appear to be developing.

Some other silkie eggs (8) from the weekend that it's too early to tell.

A few serama eggs from my own pen of seramas that are only fertile if the frizzle roo in there did his job, so they would be frizzled seramas maybe?

New silkie eggs from today (13) in cuckoo, partridge, blue splash and white.

I have on the way:
Some silkie eggs from Silkiechick (woo hoo!)
12+ cuckoo marans
12+ welsummers
6+ blue andalusian eggs
6+ OEG self blue eggs

Gee, I'm gonna be busy!

So fess up everybody, what's in the oven?!
Claire

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Reynoldsville, PA(Zone 6a)

u got 19 eggs on the way, i think it was i sent so i hope u got room girl, they just went out today to ya!!! there is buff silkies, white silkies and partridge showgirl/silkies. let me know how they do for ya.
happy hatching!!!!
silkie

Thumbnail by silkiechick
Belchertown, MA

Weren't you supposed to "just say no"????

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Holy guacamole! 19 eggs! You rock, Silkiechick!! I totally have room. By the time they are here, hopefully the current batch of porcelains and millies will be out, and then there will be a ton of room. I went and counted - I have 8 porcelain d'uccles and 7 millies.

Also, in a couple more days I will probably toss some of the duds. No use taking up valuable incubator space with stuff that isn't developing. After 10 days, if I don't see any veins or anything, they're done.

And yes, Teresa83, I was supposed to say no, but I'm not very good at following the rules sometimes. :-)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

By the way, today was my first 7-egg day. I was pretty excited about that. I got 3 from the bantam pen (seramas and frizzles and cochins and bantie wyandotte) and 4 from the red star girls and a partridge rock.

I also sold my first dozen eggs (for eating) last week to someone via a work colleague, and they were so pleased that they want to have a standing order with me for a dozen every 2 weeks. Wow. I was tickled pink! It doesn't even begin to cover feed and stuff, but it's fun to have someone who appreciates my girls' eggs!

lol, no prob hope u hatch lots of fuzzy cutties!! awesome, i never thought to ask if ya had room for that many,lol.

porcelains and millies r awesome i just sold my flock of them last week but needed to downsize for winter. i miss them already!!

i don't leave anything in after day 14. i used to do it 9 days but i've had them start show veins at day 9 so i leave them in till 14 now to be safe. ya know what they say just like chips ya can't have just one and once they pop ya just can't stop!!!
silkie

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yeah, these penedesenca eggs are driving me crazy. They are like clay flowerpot color. I can't see a dang thing inside them. I just have no clue. I'm gonna have chicks in my basement all winter but I love them all so it's OK! I never had a porcelain before so I'm really excited about that. I have 1 millie but I think it's going to be a roo. Most of the duds I have thrown out so far have had air cells that move all over the egg as I turn it under the candler. I figure that's a definite dud. Some of the duds have had blood rings. Otherwise I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

(Zone 7b)

Claire you are going to have chicks running out your ears LOL!

penedesenca? do u have a pic of one? i don't know if i have ever seen one before,lol. r they a brown egg layer or a choc egger? i got brooder babies now,lol.

Lodi, United States

Uh...Hmmmm. I might have a few eggs in the incubator. Maybe I should go look?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Silkiechick - the penedesenca eggs are the ones on the far right hand side of my incubator picture that I posted. They are kind of clay-pot color eggs.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here are some pics of penedesenca chickens. I think mine are wheaten and partridge.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Penes/BRKPenes.html

OMG, love them!!! ok that's a new breed to add to my want list for spring,lol. those r just beautiful and so r the eggs, awesome!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

So how about a Penedesilkie? Possible???!!!

Lodi, United States

I'm back.

All in the same incubator, all set at the same time, all 10 days old. Out of:

20 Araucana--2 developing. (Breeder warned about difficulty and sent 8 extra, several started developing but stopped--so I am happy)

15 Silkies--9 developing. (Breeder sent 3 extra--I am happy)

12 Ameraucana--1 developing. (Breeder advertised 12+--sent 12 and 10 of them appeared infertile at 9 days--nothing even started, one had a blood ring--I am furious and feel taken)

18 Dutch Bantams--18 developing! (Breeder sent 6 extra--I am ecstatic, if anyone wants the breeder's name I will supply it)

4 Black Sumatra--set Sunday--I haven't checked these yet. I dropped one and it had a dent which I patched with a piece of Kimwipe and Carpenter's glue. (Breeder advertised 3 and sent 4--good breeder)

There may be a few (dozen) more eggs on the way.....I've sort of lost track, but 12 Salmon Favorelle, 18 Speckled Sussex, 9 Jersey Giants, more Araucanas, 12 Giant Blue Cochins sound familiar..maybe a few others :0)

(Zone 7b)

Cat i'm interested in the breeder how much were they??

me too and what color dutch?

(Zone 7b)

OH i hope it's lite brown those are my favorite's "I'm excited"

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Giggling my butt off at Cat....you're worse than I am....ROTFL.....lost track of what eggs you ordered....you should see the blog post I'm just finishing about losing track of what bulbs I ordered. (I think I have over 700....)

Check it out...
http://chooksiniowa.blogspot.com/2008/10/plethora-of-bulbs.html

Lodi, United States

I'm back--I think I just did a (few) foolish thing(s) on eBay...again.

These blackouts are getting expensive.

The seller was on eBay as "tbooher1" with a score of 100% since 2006. Located in Palestine, TX. They don't have anything listed at the moment--but if I can figure out how, I'll post a link to their pictures of birds. They are assorted colors.

I am shocked to see that I only paid $8.00 plus $12.00 shipping for 18 highly viable eggs. It was my first bid. It has been downhill from there.....

I am planning to look at your blog and snicker at your folly, Moxon....who could possibly lose track of bulb orders! Hee, hee, hee--what an idiot!:0)

This message was edited Oct 15, 2008 1:12 AM

Lodi, United States

I little heavy on the Alliums, eh?

londonderry, Australia

i only have 2 and they are hatching right now

i am thinking i might be able to fit one in before the summe vacation(christmas) but i dont want them to still be dependant on me when i go so i am wondering if i could do it i dont know

Josh

Belchertown, MA

Claire - love your blog. I especially like your picture!
You will be planting bulbs until Christmas!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

right now i have new hampshire reds, white silkiesin the bator. fixin to put in cuckoo marans today.
bulbs? if i don't get all my boxes of bulbs out of the beer refridgerator soon, my huuby is gonna shoot me

(Zone 7b)

Cat are they mixed birds or are they just different breeds and he collects the eggs from them?

Not being snotty but i only deal with pure bred birds.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Alliums are great for protecting things like Hostas from the deer. They start on the outside of the flower bed, nibble an allium, and leave. They don't venture further into the bed if they don't like what's on the outside edges. :-)

Catscan, I am snickering at your eBay folly. These blackouts are dangerous! LOL! The pictures are very nice.

Harmony - the original chicken elitist. ROTFL..... Just kiddin' ya Harmony - I understand that you want pure bred birds and for good reason! I have a bunch of barnyard mixes who are pretty colors and lay good eggs, but I can't sell them of course, or their eggs, since I have no idea what mixes they are!

Teresa - thanks! I am still new to blogging but having fun with it so far. It's a good way to keep family and friends updated without having to write the same email to 10 people...

Clarksburg, MO

I have 6 dozen in the bator now and theyare a mix of the following....

Bantam Self Chocolate Polish
Standard Black Crested White Polish
Standard Buff Laced Polish
Standard Silver Laced Polish
Standard White Houdans
Standard Red Cochins
Standard White Cochins
Standard Silver Laced Cochins
Standard Golden Laced Cochins
Red Pyle OEs
Bantam Black Rosecombs
Standard Tolbunt Polish
Standard Crele Polish
Standard Mille Fleur Leghorns
Bantam Mille Fleur Leghorns
Bantam White Crested Polish
Mottled Houdans

I have not candled any yet. I just set them last Monday.

This may not be the plac to talk about this, but where do most of you get your fertile eggs? I really feel took on the last ebay purchase I made. I know, buyer beware and I accept responsibility .

Just wanted to know if there is another place to look that I havn't.

Sheila

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

sent you a pm on yahoo. with some info that i know here.

(Zone 7b)

I breed for my own eggs that are exclusively mine. I get mine from friends and buy them from a couple breeders but not very often.
I think the eggs on ebay and eggbid are outragiusly priced and i would consider it price gouging especially if it's mixed breeds.
I also think it's fairly too easy to ship old,infertile,and eggs of mixed origin to a unsuspecting egg buyer. I see that from all the post here.

I'm running away now before i get hit with some of those over priced eggs.

Lodi, United States

Hi Harmony, they are pure bred Dutch Bantams--but the colors are mixed. I don't show, so that doesn't matter to me. I am just extremely impressed by the vitality of the embryos. I've never had such strong looking embryos--the veins are really large and well developed and the chicks are all active and clearly developing. The closest has been my Nankins and in those only five of the 6 developed.

These bantams are allowed to free range and that may have something to do with their strength. Or they may just be a very healthy strain. I don't expect all to hatch...but in my Nankins, all did. The Ameraucana were a rip off--either her rooster is not up to the task or she is just not monitoring what is happening with her chickens. Her eggs arrived at the same time as the others and, unlike the Araucanas, have no genetic reason not develop. They seemed well wrapped and the air cells were fine--but after a week there was no development in 10 of them--not even the start of an embryo.

Maybe we should start a thread posting our best experiences with mailed eggs? And our worst. Then there would be a data base of reliable sources.

Clarksburg, MO

That would be a good idea.

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

I second that also.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

me too

The Dalles, OR

Catscan, I am hearing a lot lately about the Dutch Bantams. Would you have a pic of them please? Thanks
CS

Lodi, United States

Hi copperstone. Here are some pictures from feathersite:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Dutch/BRKDutch.html

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Added to my 'bator in the last couple of days:

Silkie eggs from Silkiechick
4 blue Andalusian eggs (other 4 badly damaged in shipping)
1 serama egg from my own pen. If viable, Dad is either a blue cochin or a red frizzle cochin.

Clarkson, KY

Ouija needle your serama!! reaction=fertility

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

How do I do that, and what is the sign?

Clarkson, KY

Motion! It's that egg sexing thread. The jury's still out on the sexing part, but I got 100% accuracy in terms of fertility doing 22 eggs. Hang the needle and thread over the egg, 'bout a 1/2" off the surface and wait for it to pick up speed. A live egg should make the needle move. Think little electro-magnetic field equates to life...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.