Wandering Jew growing wild

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Wandering Jew grows wild behind my house. I've lived in California for many years, but I was raised in the Midwest and it never ceases to amaze me when I see a "houseplant" growing wild. This particular patch of Wandering Jew is about 40 feet wide and 20 feet long, and is covered in pretty blue flowers. I couldn't photograph the whole area of it because it's on a hill and there are shrubs and trees in the way, but here's a section of it.

Thumbnail by missy99912
San Antonio, TX

I know this post was a month ago, but I had to say "wow!". I've never seen the blue flowers! So pretty

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Every "house plant" grows wild somewhere. Every plant is considered a weed by somebody. I would have to say it is possible that every weed is considered a special plant by someone also.

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Very pretty, Dale! I just got back from Florida today, and I can't believe how lush and green it is there! What a beautiful place!!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

dale's right. we usually called your flower, "dayflower" here in these parts......

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Missy,

I would gladly trade places with you. I always liked my visits to S.CA, especially the Huntington gardens. I enjoyed Griffith Park too.

It is hot and humid here in the summer, but, our winters are very nice.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Amazing to me to find that many of the Tradescantia do take to the wild in this area. They die down in the winter and spring back from the roots bigger and better. I have purple heart, variegated purple heart, inch plant and Tahitian bridal veil but the worst one for me was the Bolivian jew that escaped and choke out a catnip plant. Hard to imagine and no wonder some plants are considered invasive.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

The Bolivian is a thick grower here too.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

It makes a pretty groundcover and that is the way to do it... surrounded by concrete ~ lol. Be careful disposing of the clippings when it is pruned tho. Pieces from a hanging basket would break off, dropped to the bed below, rooted and overtook the catnip! I ripped it out with malice and burned it. I am certain I will still be pulling up starts this coming spring.

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Oh I would love to have a start but here I would have to make it into a house plant. Susan

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Very interesting picture of what you call Wondering Jew. Here in NJ our Wondering Jew is green and maroon to start and then this time of year it is a brilliant maroon and sometimes burgandy or just red. Depends on the weather. I grow mine in the greenhouse because I use them for stock plants. I sell the 3" pots after they have taken hold and are getting new leaves. I have never seen one with blue flowers. You are lucky to have beautiful healthy plants growing outside.. Mine would not survive the winter weather.
Here is a picture of the species I grow. These are young and just about ready to be put up for sale.You can see the burgandy color starting to come.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

What do you get for your plants and could you ship some to New Mexico. Susan

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi susan, If you want to email me privately I can give you prices. Shipping to New Mexico would have to be bare root since you are on the other side of the Mississippi. I am a certified nursery and would need each plant inspected if I sent it in soil. That gets too expensive for these little cheap guys. But, we can give it a try because these little houseplants are so tough to kill, and if they do not make it, I will replace them until they do. How is that for customer service? I would not try that with the Jasmine, but the Jew and Spider and Christmas Cactus are no problem.

My website is www.JBsBirdsandmore.com (click on JBs Plants) but the prices on there have not been updated for 2009, plus, some plants are not going to be available this year. My webmaster must be asleep because she has not made any changes I have ask her to this month. Sorry. My email address is JBerger431@aol.com
Please put Plants in the subject line to I read it for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.