October...blooms?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's my "ForeverMohr" Brugmansia with it's FIRST and last blush. I don't want to keep this one. Anyone want it? It is 6' tall and has always bloomed late. D-mail me and come and get it!

I got it originally from Shirley Mohr of Iowa who hybridized it and named it. It is a cross between Rosamond and Butterfly. BIG blooms!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is my "Peaches and Cream" Brug. It grew HUGE this Summer.
I have taken 4 cuttings of it and they are in the bubbler--hopefully rooting. This plant also is too large for mr to keep in my basement.

Another one up for grabs!!!! Come and get this one also!!!! It has beautiful foliage....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is my "Rose Souvelons"--the most reliable bloomer. Will drag this one in my basement and keep it.
Took cuttings of this one too.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK! Now for more "common" blooms still gracing my premises.....

My Mandevilla reaching for the sky

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's my Begonia Grandis.....
Question: Can I cut it back? How about in the summer--so it won't be so straggly?

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Autumn Sedum....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The ????...sporum Daisies

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Some Rudbeckia--in the same bed

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Last 2 blooms on my Canna....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My double, purple Datura. Now it is almost done with the blooms and is busy ripening the seed pods.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's the seed pods....many...many.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Impatiens and Coleus still going strong--everywhere..

I have found that in October--it is as if my garden gets "second wind" and everything is so much more colorful. This is good weather for gardens......I call it "Seattle weather"....
Days in the 70's and cool nights...

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The Northern Sea Oats--liking pretty this time of year. The seed heads will het a dark pink blush to them when colder air hits....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My pot of pink Wax Begonias.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Took these in the other day. Here is my Pregnant Onion getting more and more crowded. The new "
onions" keep pushing the older ones up and up. Will be dividing it next Spring.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Last one--My HUGE Dragon Wing begonia by the shed.
I will be cutting off all the blooms from it and bringing it inside soon. The blooms make too big a mess--even though they are beautiful.

This pot is now, easily, 3' across. Third year--started as a 10" HB.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is a PS:

This is how huge the "Peaches and Cream" Brugmansia grew.
Almost too much! Maybe it is because I mixed in the soil a lot of the Dynamite slow-release granules??? Don't really need all those leaves!!!! More blooms would have been better....As it was--you could hardly see any of the blooms because of all the foliage...

Thank you for your patience here......

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Crozet, VA

Thank you for sharing the beauties with us Debbie and Gita. Yep, some plants are looking great still.

Ruby

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Claypa, RCN & Gita, Your flowers are all so beautiful. Hope you get to save as many as possible. The perennial co-op that's going on now needs some more buyers to complete flats.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Gita, the Begonias are beautiful "now" but every year there are some that need to be replaced because they look dreadful by February :( And no, Rick isn't the "main" gardener! LOL Usually the plants on the deck are my responsibility, but this year I let him take 'control' :) There was a time when we worked in the gardens "together" but a couple of years ago it was obvious that some gardens were quickly developing into mine and some his. It's almost turned into a competition! LOL

Your Begonia grandis - I've never actually cut them back in the ground, but I'm sure you could as long as you did it by the middle of July? I've cut them back in a pot and it usually takes them about 3 weeks before the foliage grows back enough to hide the ugly stubs. Your Peaches & Cream is a beauty, even without "more" blooms! If I just had a sun room I'd be there in a flash to take those Brugs off your hands :) I am so sad that I never had an opportunity to sow my Datura seeds :( Do you think they would still be viable for planting next year?

Stormy - is this the Co-op you're talking about? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/909039/ WOW, I can't believe how fast some things sold out!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

October ...blooms!
Pansies should have faces- No plain yellow for me, but I waited a bit long and almost got stuck with them

Thumbnail by sallyg

This year I stuck with two related colors of pansies both for the front of the house

That is...until Lowes puts them on clearance

Thumbnail by sallyg

Sun ruined the shot, but I'm pretty pleased with montauk daisy-iris-salvia area- yes the daisies should be staked and or pinched earlier.

Thumbnail by sallyg

not as nice a marigold shot as claypa's ruffly one, but making the most of a simple marigold nonetheless...

Thumbnail by sallyg

Clara Curtis, woven into (edible ) asparagus. (Hey, I should cut up my big houseplant asparagus fern next spring and use it for garden filler)

Thumbnail by sallyg

the bedraggled butterfly bush Raspberry Eyes that I rescued a couple weeks ago

Thumbnail by sallyg

my one begonia

Thumbnail by sallyg

now orange you glad you looked at this thread today?

Thumbnail by sallyg
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure are Sally! Very lovely photos. I recently planted some Montauk daisies, divisions from a friend's bush, and I mean BUSH. Our Loewes hAS AN ENTIRE TWO TABLES FULL RIGHT NOW, BUT THEY SEEM FINER TEXTURED THAN THE ONES i HAVE.

Sorry, RCN, yes, that is the co-op. It opened on Thursday..

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Every morning I get yp, I feel the "crunch" of upcoming cold weather. Tonight is supposed to be in the mid-40's north of the beltway....OUCH! Still lots to do and not much time to do it....

Have to drag in my big plant stand into my basemenr. this holds all my 6-7 pots of Amaryllis. These should have been brought in long ago--as it is--at this pace, they will only bloom in Feb. or March!

Have to dig up and pot up my better, fuller Dragon Wing Begonias and bring them in. I do this every year. They look sad by the end of Winter, but perk up nicely once planted outside. I might have 4 I am digging up.....

So sad about my BIG Brugmansias! They grew huge! I have taken cuttings and they are bubbling away--but I just don't have room in the basement to drag in all the big plants themselves. I will save the Rose Souvelons in a dormant state.

DOES ANYONE WANT TO COME GET THE PEACHES AND CREAM AND THE TALL FOREVERMOHR ONE???? PLEASE!!!!!
They are in big pots which are half-buried in the ground. If you have room in your basement--they can exist in a dormant state. If you have a sun-room, they will continue activly growing/blooming.

Here's the ForeverMohr one. Finally bloomed a week ago.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And here are the blooms of the Peaches and Cream. The plant grew so huge this year!!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

See how big and full the Peaches one grew?
I think I overdid the Dynamite fertilizer when I planted it in the Spring.....

The blooms on this one start out as yellowish, tight buds. Then they open to a milk white. Then they turn a cream color. Then they start blushing peach and at the end--they are a nice, soft peach. Hence the name--Peaches and Cream.

Would love to find a nice home for these asap!!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

stormyla--last year those two big tables of montauk daisies went begging at my Lowe's down to 50 cents each. I'm surprised they ordered a big batch again this year over there.
y
Gita- I am sorely tempted by Peaches and Cream but with Mom still in the hospital and Meal Ticket away on business I am hard pressed to have time to drive up there. And I only have one really good place for these heat lovers in summer- so where would my daturas be next year? and plumie which surely will be a big beauty next summer.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally,

Actually.....Brugs perform better when shielded a bit from the hot afternoon sun.
You should see my Rose Souvelons today!!!! The blooms are fully open and huge and I love how on this one they seem 'puffy" when fully open.

Lookie-----

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a single bloom. had to tilt it up so I could get a good picture.
LOVE them this time of year!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's 2 blooms close-up of the "ForeverMohr" taken today.
They are spectacular--with long, twisting tendrils.....

OH, woe be me!!!!!! What to do??????

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey Sally, who wudda thunk it? LOL (edible) Asparagus as a filler! I have some kicking around here that needs to be planted, I might just add some to the sunny perennial border I'm trying to design :) Beautiful Begonia, love the foliage!

Poor Gita, she's so desperate to find a home for Peaches and Cream, she's posted the photo twice :) Sorry, I'd love to take all of them but you're just too darned far away!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I think you definitely win the blooming award!!!!! On my way to work everyday I pass an old victorian home on a busy thoroughfare with gorgeous gardens. There are 5 exquisite Brugs blooming there now. These flower beds are always ablaze with mass plantings of consecutive bloomers and gorgeous specimen flowering shrubs and even a marvelous shade garden on one side. For 15 years I have passed this home at all different times of the day. Never have I seen anyone tending these beds, but they are always impeccably groomed.
For the past 6 months there's been a for sale sign on the yard. It really makes me wonder whether those gorgeous gardens will be around much longer. I do have to say that this mystery gardener has influenced many of their neighbors as many of them try to mimic the plant groupings. This person is leaving that community a much improved place!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Just after the orders were closed on the perennial co-op, the hostess received an offer from Terra Nova Nurseries to add a presale of their 3 newest Echinacea introductions. They are trying to sell out the flats. Orders are being taken on the CHAT thread of Fairy's 2nd annual perennial co-op.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

There are some really beautiful old neighborhoods in Norristown.
For me, any more money for plants this year is going toward bulbs and shrubs. Co-ops are tempting though.

The Canna managed to bloom! There was a light frost last week but it didn't seem to bother it.

Thumbnail by claypa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.