need ID please

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

does someone know what this is????

Thumbnail by batflower
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

callisia fragrans - basket plant

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54577/

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Thank you !!!! I see a lot of the photos are of this plant in bloom, what conditions does it need to bloom? I've had mine 3 years it spends the summers outside in the sun (but shaded from mid day sun) and the winters in a south facing window. Any tips to help it bloom?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine usually blooms indoors before I move it out in spring. I have it under fluorescent lights 12 hours a day in winter. I don't remember ever seeing it bloom when I have it outdoors so it may just be an early bloomer.

(Zone 1)

I have this plant that I received in a trade here on DG. I keep one basket of it out on my screened pool deck in sun and another pot out in the backyard in full sun. Mine bloomed in late spring/early summer. The flowers are fragrant!

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

so, even in a south facing window, mine is probably not getting enough sun to bloom. Does everyone's bloom in early spring? if that's the case I'll try putting mine under lights starting about in early Feb. (hopefully I can rig something up by then, its way to big to fit under any of the lights I have now) :-)

(Zone 1)

You can take the pups off and stick them in soil and they root and grow quite fast for additional plants! Your plant looks fabulous!

Winter Springs, FL

Mine bloom in early spring also.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine stays outdoors most of the spring/summer/fall. Mine started blooming in mid May and has only bloomed once a year. Don't know if that is normal but it is a pretty bloom. I found the fragrance was minor until the blooms opened wide.

Thumbnail by podster
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Cool plant! May I ask where you found it? This is one on my wish list.

:) Donna

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Thanks Perennialgirl, I got it at small greenhouse in northern Quebec. It roots very easily, I could send you a cutting in the spring...D mail me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.