This years Sizzles!!!

Cave Creek, AZ

I just wanted to show off my third generation of Sizzles. They are really developing nicely and even better then I had hoped. The first are a black Sizzle pullet & my first nice blue Cockeral.
These are type #1 (see explanation further down) The black pullet is bearded

This message was edited Sep 27, 2008 1:16 PM

Thumbnail by sarahssizzles
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

OOOOOOoooooooooooOOOOOOoooooo

I want, I want, I want! Gimme, Gimme!

Plleeeeeeeassseee!!!!!!!

[Going to gain control of myself again...]

Cave Creek, AZ

the second are two blue smooths, these are type #2 (see explanation further down) the dark blue pullet is bearded and both have great foot feathers

This message was edited Sep 27, 2008 1:19 PM

Cave Creek, AZ

this is Boop, is my first blues splash,

Cave Creek, AZ

these are a pair of Frilkies (frizzled Silkies)

Cave Creek, AZ

Opps! here are the Frilkies....silly me! These are type #3, Frizzled Silkies, Still working on better topknots on them.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2008 1:23 PM

Cave Creek, AZ

Here's Boop again but upright so you can really see her! Sorry I can only get one pic on at a time!

Cave Creek, AZ

and this guy is a silkie feathered Sizzle. I love his color!...but, not sure about keeping him. He's missing a nail, darn!

I'm very excited to see what I get from these kids next year!

Thanks Lazy Lady...I love feedback on how they are looking. Sometimes I feel very alone out here!!!!

Thanks!
Sarah

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 9:44 PM

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 9:46 PM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Where the heck is Cave Creek anyway?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

sara, i love your birds, they are sweet

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh WOW! These are gorgeous birds! Love them all! I especially love Boop! And what a cute name!

So, can you help me out?

Sizzle
Frilkie
Silkie-feathered Sizzle

What are the differences between these?

I have some silkie and some frizzle eggs in my incubator right now. I thought a Sizzle was a silkie with frizzle feathers. So what's a Frilkie? And what's a silkie-feathered sizzle? Why isn't it just a silkie if it doesn't have frizzle feathers?

Oh man, I'm so confused and I get all tongue-tied on these terms!
Claire

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

They are all so cute! I love the expressions.. they look like lil models.. just darling!!!!! Congratulations Sarahsizzles! I bet your proud.. they are the bestest!!!

I'm sorry I didn't respond.. I did look at pics several times.... I'm guilty.. but with special circumstances... Just got my first eggs.. I'm not in control of myself yet..

Keep the pics coming!

Clarkson, KY

Don't think that we're not excited when we run outside and look at our birds as soon as we see yours!! Just hyperventilating or something. Of course they're gorgeous!

Cave Creek, AZ

Thanks Everyone for the encouragment...like I said, sometimes I feel very alone out here in Sizzle land!!!

To explain Sizzles...Cross a Frizzled bird, I used Cochins because they have feathered feet, to a Silkie and you will get 4 different types of Sizzles
Type #1 You will get the Sizzles I'm breeding for, like Boop, curled hard feathers, top knot, blue skin, five toes & Silkie combs.
Type #2 smooth feathers with topknots, 5 toes, blue skin & Silkie combs.
Type #3 what I call Frilkies are frizzled Silkies with all the Silkie traites but the feathers curl.
Type #4 Look just like Silkies but, carry the genetics for curly feathers and ...hopefully ..all the other traits your after.. as do all of the other types.
As you probably know, you can't breed curly to curly so all the types are necessary.

When you first start crossing you will also get all kinds of combinations of the different traits. Of the 200+ chicks I hatched this year I have gradually weeded them down to about 40 that I'm keeping and some of those may still go because they have the wrong type of comb or not enough toes or I don't like the coloring. The pic of the Blue Silkie feathered roo is a good example. Nice topknot, decent feathering on the feet, color is OK, although I don't like the gold developing in his neck but, he has only 4 toes on one foot, one with out a nail.

This year I got my first really nice Sizzle ( see type #1) blue roo that I'm really happy with. I will probably be mostly breeding third generation back to third generation this season to try to solidify my lines. I got a nice third generation Roo Silkie feathered in blue & splash, Frilkie feathered in black , my blue Sizzle boy and two to choose from in Smooth, both with different nice traits. One has a great topknot & the other great feet & is bearded...another trait possability!

So...it's exciting, confusing, frustrating, and rewarding all at the same time!

CMoxon - I hope that explains. Feel free to ask anything you want to know, I'm so excited to talk Sizzle with someone!

Lazy-Ladies - Cave Creek is north of Phoenix in the valley in AZ. We are slightly cooler then in town & cause we are in AZ my new breeding season is just starting. Since these kids aren't going to be old enough for a few more months, I am trying some very select second generation crosses to see what I get.

Grownut - I knew you were out there somewhere, just busy! Thanks!

ZZBabies - Congrats on your new "kids" and best of luck with them!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Boop has to be the most stylish bird I've ever seen... She is so regal.. I'm in love.. I've been here to see her several times! She is the cutest.

How are they with temperment, like handling? etc? Darling birds!

Cave Creek, AZ

Thanks, I like her too! She's about 7 months now. Temperment is pretty easy going. I work 50 -60 hr weeks and am on call 24/7 so, my birds don't get handled as much as I'd like. Once you get ahold of them & they figure out your not going to make them lunch, they settle down pretty quickly. I'd say they are not as mellow as the Silkies but still pretty good and part of that might be familiarity.,

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Sarah - thanks for all the explanations. That helped a lot. I didn't realize there were 4 possibilities from the cross, although with all the punnett squares I've done in my time in school, you'd think I should have figured that out!

So maybe you can help me....I got meatball and spaghetti today from a trade. The lady who traded with me wanted egg layers that were standards. She got these referred to as "show chickens" from another lady. They are cochins I believe.

Is he a regular frizzle?

Here is meatball.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here's another shot of him.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

And here is spaghetti.

What kind of babies would they have?

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
(Zone 7b)

Frizzle chickens produce both frizzle and regular feather chicks.
So if you put them together they will have both frizzle and normal chicks. I use to raise the exact birds you have and in a hatch it would be about 50/50.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd have called him Flame.. LOL He is darling!

somewhere, PA

Sarah - those are just the cutest chickens!!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OH ZZ!!! That is the PERFECT name! If I call him Flame, what do I call her?

I wanted to call him spaghetti and her meatball, but Kelly said that wasn't appropriate, because spaghetti was too feminine and meatball too masculine, so I switched it. But I like Flame even better. But I need a good matching name for her...

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

Glo Flame and Glo

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh Yeah! Flame and Glow. Perfect. Done. You guys are awesome namers...

:)

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Glow.. that is too cute! I love it..

Naming is like my favorite thing! (I was around race horses for many years.. now THAT's funny!)

Cave Creek, AZ

CMoxon - Yes, he is definetly a red Frizzle. She might be a frizzle also but, smooth feathered, which means she carries the gene to produce frizzles and gives you a better chance of frizzled chicks. Someone help if I get this wrong but, I think it's 25% frizzled, 50% smooth but carry the genes, 25% smooth, no curly gene, if one parent is frizzled and 50% frizzled, 50% smooth and everybody carries the gene if both parents are frizzled (one curly & one smooth) Remember, don't breed curly to curly..you'll get bald! Well, maybe not bald but, embaressingly thin feathered!. FYI - you can tell which chicks will be curley inside of the first week after they hatch. Their wing feathers start to curl up as soon as they sprout!

Best of luck with them!

I like Flame & Glow too!

This message was edited Oct 5, 2008 5:48 AM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Your birds are beautiful! I'm also partial to Boop. She looks like a Muppet. I also like the type 2 smooth blues. Those are some really neat crosses.

You know you've got it bad when you keep looking at two different types of birds and you start thinking, hmmm...LOL We haven't let anything hatch but the pure bred white silkies.

Sarah, does it matter which is the roo and which is the hen to get these type?

I have a black(or is it called blue) frizzle roo and white and blue cochin hens.

I have a white cochin roo (old enough to breed) and red frizzles that are just about 3 months old.

I maybe so lost here I dont know what I am talking about.

Cave Creek, AZ

Hello Luvs2g;

To answer your question, no it doesn't matter which is which on the hen or roo to get the Frizzles as long as one is. You do want to be aware of your color genetics though. Since I am only breeding for blues, which includes blacks & splashes, I've been diligently removing red when ever it shows up but, if I understand it right, it is a component of blue breeding. I really need to spend some more time studying it to understand it better...yeah, ...in my spare time!
Anyway, the reason I mention it is, I'm wondering about breeding the white to the reds. Don't know what that will do to your colors. You might want to do some research...if it's important to you.

Good luck with them!

Here is a pic of a little roo who gave me the red I don't want in my breeding.

Cave Creek, AZ

Dear Badseed;

Thank you so much for the description. I LOVE it!!! I've never been able to exactly explain why I like the Sizzles so much and MUPPETS describes them perfectly!!! I've always loved Muppets, from their inception (which I’m old enough to remember!) AND…You’ve just given me a whole new avenue for names! WooHoo!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I've been in mommy mode for 16 years. I think I operate on a different wave length. LOL Glad you like the Muppet thought. Of course Oscar and Grover are the first two names that come to mind!

That last little guy sure has some odd coloring.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I love the last little roo. He's adorable! He'd be a keeper for me!

Cave Creek, AZ

Thanks CMoxon, he is pretty in his own way, just not at all what I'm breeding for. This generation I'm weeding out all the Cochin combs, which he has, as well as all the ones with less then 10 toes and anything not the right colors. I'm only doing a little careful breeding back into my second generation group to see if I can't get some more nice ones like Boop and the Fonz (pic below)

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Some of THE coolest chicks I have ever seen!! I want one too!!

Tina

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

Let's see,
Cave Creek is a Phoenix area "suburb" at the far, far north east of town--sort of between Scottsdale & Fountain Hills. Mostly untamed desert, as compared with most of the rest of the valley--strikingly beautiful wild Sonoran Desert.

The frizzle gene is incompletely dominant, so if one parent has one gene and the other none, half the offspring will be frizzled. If both barents have one gene, half the offspring will be frizzled, 1/4 will be curly and 1/4 willl not have the gene. If they have the gene, it shows. If it doesn't show, they do not have the gene. Everything I have read says you should breed a frizzled bird (one copy of the gene) to a non-frizzled bird (does NOT have any copy of the gene) for the best results. Apparently there is a modifier gene that reduces the amount of frizzle, allowing you t breed for curlies without all their attendant problems.

Suze

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

SarahSizzles!

I love your little roo with the red and black! He is SO CUTE! He looks like a little punk rocker with bleach streaks in his naturally black hair. ha!

Newton, AL

OOOOOOOOOOOOO Very cute....
thanks for sharing.
Here is Fuzz my frizzle girl I also have a black girl named Judy. Her mate is Jonclaude.

Thumbnail by InnBetween
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

InnBetween - haven't seen you on the poultry & livestock forum before! Welcome! What a cute little frizzle hen you have. She's a cuddly one! We love all chicken lovers here, so please join in to some of our other discussions! Hooray for chickens!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.