North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hyacinth Beans

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

The hummingbirds love this vine.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Not much of a bloomer, but I hate to see these go once it gets cold. :(
LiliMerci, where do you buy your Spanish Shawl? I gotta have one of those!
Dooley, your beautyberry is pretty. I have always wanted to grow one or two...

Thumbnail by Raggedyann
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Pretty pictures everyone. I have a few things still in bloom. Here's a maypop flower. The vines have a lot of gulf frit caterpillars on them now.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Canna lipo still has a bloom every once in awhile. Had a lot of canna loopers (or whatever they are called) this year. The plants look real ugly.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

The canna down by the street are finally blooming. They didn't get much water this year. I don't remember the name of this one.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Nanho blue butterfly bush.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Honeycomb butterfly bush with gulf frit.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Perilla (beefsteak plant) with hairstreaks.

Thumbnail by beclu727

I got the Spanish Shawl from a trade. It's a groundcover but I have mine in a container for now.

I have a perilla too, but no flower yet.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

How do you have one perilla? I tossed some seed a few years ago that I collected (with permission) from the Sandy Springs library. It comes up, in and on everything including houseplants that have been summering nearby. Even grows between cracks in the wood decking!

ERDooley, I have wanted beauty berry for years. Yours is beautiful. It is such a great late season shrub.

LiliMercy, your Cypress vine looks fantastic! How tall is it?

Becky, are canna loopers the same as a canna worms?.
Laurel

It's not very tall because I didn't have a string for it to climb on, just a short stick, but I just put a taller stick on it now. It's about 4ft, may be close to 5ft? It will climb up if you allow it.

Actually, my aunt gave me the perilla a few years ago. My relatives use them all the time in our food, but I don't. I just like the leaves and the color. Anyway, I let it die out in the winter and it didn't come back in the spring, so I dumped the dirt out of the container. This year, my DH did not put down pinestraw in the area that I dumped out the dirt and it came back up. I have 2. DH tried to pull them out last week thinking they were 'weeds'. Got yelled at. I manage to dig them back out of the trash and planted them in a container 'again'. :) He also tried to kill another weed, an ornamental peanut (groundcover) that was getting ready to bloom.

Oh no,LiliMerci, my dh told me he thought a butterfly bush was a weed so he ran it over with the lawn mower. Biggest weed I've ever seen! LOL Now he has the directv pole and dish right beside it. He is determined to get rid of that plant. I scold dh when I see him do things like that.
This plant hasn't made it into the ground yet :O

Thumbnail by Raggedyann
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I thought I had grown Blue Daze before but I do not recall the flowers being so large! Very pretty.

I've been giving it Super Thrive ;)

I don't think you can kill a butterfly bush. We cut ours down every year in late winter, right before spring and it just come right back up. If you don't cut, it would be humongous!

That's a very pretty Blue Daze. What kind of plant is that?

After he ran it over, I stuck a couple of the branches in the ground. This spring it had grown to about 2 feet tall and I gave it to a friend. I want it as a privacy screen.

I found this one at Lowe's:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/194/

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

If your talking Buddleja davidii mine get pruned twice a year. It does what it says it does. Butterfly all over it this time of year but they do get huge. Where I am they're evergreen and I prune in Jan. then again in July. The second pruning keeps it more compact.

I only prune once a year. I don't usually prune anything once it starts flowering for fear of losing the blooms.

I have butterfly and bees all over mine.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

The honeycomb butterfly bush is at least 10 ft tall. The oldest nanho blue one I have is 8 ft. I cut back to 2 feet in Feb or March. These 2 are about 6 years old and there are seedlings of the nanho here a there in the yard. I have a black knight thats older, but it only gets about 6 ft tall. The soil isn't as good there. I agree that they can't be killed easily, but one I transplanted died from the drought.

Laurel, I guess canna worms is what they are. They bind the leaves together with silk and they eat from the inside out. I spray with neem, but it only barely controls them.

The perilla are all volunteers from one plant I got at a swap and put down by the mailbox. I just let them grow where they want but I'm sure I'll regret it when they take over. The ones I see hairstreaks on are at least 100 ft away from the mailbox. Maybe birds "dropped" the seeds...

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the compliments on the beauty berry! It is right by the street, so I do get alot of compliments on it from people walking by. Definitely worth the $20 I paid for it 3 years ago. It's a really fast grower.

Thumbnail by erdooley
Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Is that beautyberry the same as I have comming up every where a bird rest.They are so prolific around here, and I leave them where they fall, so to speak.Mike

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I think it probably is Mike. The large leaves make it look like the american native. The asian beautyberry has smaller leaves (and is a smaller shrub, considered 'more refined'). I have the white berried asian one that I bought as the Callicarpa americana, but it was mis labeled. Interesting that you have the native beautyberry growing wild so close to us. I bought 2 purple and the one white several years ago and the only ones I know of other than those on our property are the 2 that I propagated! Our birds are not nearly as helpful as yours. The first time I saw this shrub in the wild was a dozen years ago at a park in Gwinnett County off Pleasant Hill Rd. I love it and it is the centerpiece of our 'autumn' garden.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Here it is almost invasive, but I have no problem with that, they are beautiful, and last till the cedar waxwings arrive.Mike

Spider Lily are blooming.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

I hope my white moon vine is going to bloom tonight.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

I was over at my neighbor taking a picture of this plant for id. Found out it's a Mexican Hydrangea.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

and his yellow canna was also in bloom. Hope to get seeds from it.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

So beautiful. Let us know if you have moon bloomers tonight. I have had "issues" with my moonflowers this year. We usually have the entrance to the veggie garden draped in evening blooms. All your photos are beautiful Lili, thanks for sharing.
Laurel

Thank you Laurel. Thanks goodness to digital mode. You can take anything close up.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's some out of control hardy ageratum that I planted this past spring. Had no idea it was so vigorous (nice way of saying invasive...). The photo doesn't at all capture the beautiful blue/purple color. It's definitely the most showy fall thing I have blooming right now.

Thumbnail by erdooley
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I really like these black-eyed susans that get going now, after the Goldsturm have finished. Best I can tell, the variety is Rudbeckia Triloba. This one was a volunteer. They grow really huge in one season, much more shrub-like than Goldsturm. The best part is the late bloom time!

Thumbnail by erdooley
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Great shots erdooley. What is the pink hyacinth-looking plant underneath the beautyberry? And are these the black-eyed susans you have seed to swap?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

cedar18, I'm not sure what pink hyacinth thing you're talking about... Hmm.... I actually have entire Rudbeckia Goldtrurm plants to give away. Like a carload full! But I would be happy to save some seeds for you from the Rudbeckia Triloba (shown in the picture). Just let me know via dmail if you want them.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, I'd love the plants but won't be in your area soon (although I love Decatur; do they still do the concerts on the square?), so seeds would be great.

The pink thing is in the background of the rudbeckia shot; looks like beautyberry behind the R and then beneath the bb is some low pink thing....??

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

cedar18, LOL! That's my pine nugget mulch! At least, I think that's the only thing it could be. There's nothing pink or magenta in that area, other than the beauty berry. I'll dmail you my address. If you send me a SASE I'll mail you some Rudbeckia Triloba and Rudbeckia Goldsturm seeds. The Triloba is the bigger variety.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Color me pink! Now that you say that, I can see it. The shadow under the BB looks like the stem area and the lighter mulch behind the BB in the sun I guess looks like the 'flowers'. I hope I don't have to take a vision test any time soon. I'll dmail you.....

I know I posted Spider Lily above, but here is one with all 6 of the buds opened on a stem.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.