Should I prune this Plumosa?

New Orleans, LA

Someone suggested that I post questions for this Plumosa fern here:

I love projects and couldn't resist this poor thing. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best course of action to get this one healthy again? Specifically, should I prune back the dead branches?

Thumbnail by wsmcqueen
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

cut out all the dead and probably re-pot or put in the ground. i'll bet it's really rootbound. also looks like it's either had too much or not enough water and maybe too much sun too. i've heard these are tough plants-it should pull through.

New Orleans, LA

Wow! That was fast. Thank you for responding. The soil is bone dry, and I'm not sure what it was getting for sun. I will trim and repot right away.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

if it is rootbound, take your garden claw and really untangle the sides and if the bottom is a mass of roots, you can take a serrated knife and just cut off about a half inch from the bottom, just slice right through it. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2575/

This message was edited Sep 5, 2008 8:43 PM

Danville, IN

As scraggly as it will look when you trim out all the dead parts, I would just cut off the WHOLE thing, repot after loosening the root system, fertilize, water, and watch it take off. You'll get a much more balanced and attractive plant, for sure. Believe me, I've done this before.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

.... agree completely with HG. If it was my plant, I'd mow it to the soil line, clean up the soil surface (of dead debris), remove the bottom 3/4 of the root mass - then most of the soil in the remaining roots, repot into an attractive container & enjoy the resurrection. The plant will do well on MG 24-8-16.

I have a plant that's about 15 years old (and many younger - I use this plant as filler material in many of my garden shade containers) & I divide & do this regularly to rejuvenate it.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I agree w/Hoosiergreen & tapla...I've done this before, too...you'll be much more satisfied with your 'new' plant!

New Orleans, LA

I'll do as you suggest, but I'm definitely nervous. I don't want anymore plant homicides on my conscience.

And thanks again for all the advice.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Lolol. No guts - no glory ....

Our doubts are traitors,
And make us lose the good we oft might win
By fearing to attempt. William Shakespeare

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.