Dahlias in the Rockies (2)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

New thread. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/824967/

Santa Fe, NM

Good. Post more pictures, Dahlia!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There are some big fat buds just waiting to burst open on some different ones roybird. I'm torn between luving the rain and wanting hot sun for the dahlias. We need more hot sun showers here methinks.

Santa Fe, NM

Our weather doesn't know what to do! It gets hot during the day but cooler at night than it's been. It clouds up but can't quite manage to rain. It rains like crazy and hails for 20 minutes. Argh.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I finally got home for a brief stay. Shot a few of the Dahlias overtaking my garden.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Just around the corner. Boy am I going to be busy digging up bulbs this fall. Oh well. Got these in a big bag and have no names to give you.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Welcome home Soferdig!!! Outstanding dahlias!!! Mine are shrimps compared to the height of yours. Luv the red hollyhocks too!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

It has been a long absence from Daves. My life hopefully will slow down now to allow me to be part of the life here.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow! Sof. Those are very beautiful dalhia's. I hope you can participate more, too.

Santa Fe, NM

Hi, Sofer. Pretty dahlias and lots of 'em.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Okay, I am feeling Dahlia deficient so today I took pictures of my little tiny dahlias that I am growing in my flower pots out front along with petunias and salvia and gazania and lots of other stuff. These little dahlias are sold as bedding plants. They don't get more than about 9 inches tall, but they are very bright and pretty. This is at least the second year I have grown them. See, I am not totally dahlia deprived. Here is the rose colored one. As you can see something has been eating them but they are still kind of cute. These flowers are at most 1 1/2 inches across.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2008 9:24 PM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And here is a red one. I also have white and a sort of very dark red and a sort of gold/brown one. So, here is the extent of my venture into the world of dahlias. Maybe next year I will try some larger ones.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Very pretty paj. Are you going to save the tubers?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Are the tubers on these little ones saveable?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oh for sure paj. Leave them in the containers for 2 weeks after your first hard f*r*o*s*t. Then take them out. You will see little bumps on the new tubers which are the eyes that will make dahlias next year. Make sure you leave a little stem on the tubers as sometimes the eyes are right at the stem. You don't have to wait to see the eyes if you don't want to. You can just store them all and wait til next spring to which tubers are viable. I don't wait. I just get the assembly line going and store them all.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Do you store them in soil? Keep them moist? Dark?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I store them in slightly moistened (couple mist sprays with the water bottle) vermiculite in sealed freezer bags in my cold room in a cupboard. They need dark and temps about between 40-50F. I've also stored in peat moss before and that worked. The thing we have to watch is that they don't dry out. It's bone dry in my house in the winter. I check them about once a month. If they start to look a little shrivelled I mist. To wake them up I just move the bags into room temperature and they begin to sprout and then I do a dance of joy ^_^ There is a newer method using saran wrap that I might try this winter if I have alot of tubers http://rain.prohosting.com/midahlia/No_Fuss.htm

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks. Sounds like my garage might work pretty well if I put them inside of something -- so the sun from the windows won't strike them. I have lots of vermiculite.

Santa Fe, NM

I need to get some vermiculite. My plants are all being munched by you-know-whats. 'Tis the season. They don't like to eat sunflowers or virginia creeper, at least.

Laporte, CO(Zone 4b)

I only have four small flowered dahlias this year, but they are gorgeous. My problem is that I am going to have a hard time finding a place to store them this winter. I don't have a cold place in my house and it will go well below zero in the garage many nights. Can I use my fridge? It is at 35 degrees. Too cold?
I will take some pics tomorrow morning.

Kathy

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Its bad when you have to put things in the fridge to keep them warm! I can't wait to see the pics!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I've never tried the fridge KathyCoRanch but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I think you would really want to watch the moisture level as frost free fridges really dehydrate things.

Santa Fe, NM

KathyCo, I wondered the same thing. What I'm thinking is to try the garage, my studio, and the fridge. I have no ideal place for them. I just hope I have enough tubers to experiment with! None of mine are super special rare things, so they ought to do alright some where.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dahlia tubers are pretty forgiving I find (if they don't freeze or dry out). If its too warm they just start growing ^_^

Laporte, CO(Zone 4b)

Well- maybe I could just repot them and bring them indoors for the winter? Then they might not bloom next year. I will figure something out. Here is one bloom- pretty ordinary dahlia, but pretty.

Thumbnail by KathyCoRanch
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly red KathyCo. Dahlia tubers need a cold dormant period. I overwinter my calla lilys in their container. My DH lugs it down into the cold room for me.

Laporte, CO(Zone 4b)

They just look so beautiful I have got to figure something out. I now have the red, a peachy orange and brilliant magenta blooming right now. I am going to move them to a btter spot next year- I didn't know what I was doing this year and they are now hidden among the ever looming cosmos. I have finally finished the irrigation system and everything is looking really happy out there. (I am too!!) I also have one I planted from a corm and it is lloking excellent as well- should open within a few days, hoping it is the color I actually purchased!

Kathy

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

When you have white you can mix it right. Simple is beautiful

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Sofer, welcome back!! Ok, here are my two, and only, contributions to dahlias. Both are Lowes NOIDs.

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

And the other.

Thumbnail by vadap
Santa Fe, NM

They are very pretty. Here is Park Princess from this morning when the sun came out.

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly dahlias all. I will have some more pics tonight. A couple need today to fully open. I luv the peach one with white tips vadap.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another luvly striped mignon

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another Bluesette. It's my favorite pink I think so far. The blend makes it pop in the garden.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Santa Fe, NM

A pretty pink!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

NOID but it's a keeper. 6" flower and not fully open but I couldn't wait to show it ^_^

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Santa Fe, NM

Oh, that one is spectacular!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

If it's tuberlifik a tuber just might find its way to NM this Jan/Feb when I come down (shhhhhhh I didn't say that with my outside voice did I?) I'm going to put it against the hedge next year where it will really show.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Those dahlias are magnificent. And I understand you have to be careful about planting dahlias because they tend to creep across borders. Shame on me. I didn't say that!

So are you coming south this winter? Where might you be headed? Perhaps a Rocky Mt. Forum meeting could be arranged?

This message was edited Sep 2, 2008 9:48 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I love the Dahlias in your garden Dal-nut. You have me looking everywhere next spring for a whole bunch. My DW and I have decided to take out our veggie garden and use it for a seed starting area for flowers and I am going to propagate a whole bunch of those beauties. Love the dinner plates with that much color to look into.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.