I succumbed to its charms 3 1/2 months later!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I saw this plant on May 4th
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/843440/
and had a huge inner fight to get it or not to get it. I usually lose such fights and get whatever it is but this time I just did not drive the 2 hours back to get it. I resisted!! Since then I have thought and thought about this bamboo and so regretted not getting it.

Today I went back, never expecting (but kind of hoping) them to have any left. They had about 5 on May 4th. They had 1 left and you just know it had my name on it.

Bambusa vulgaris 'Vittata' getting wrapped for its trip home!

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the bold colors.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I even have a small white sport.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The nodes on top have lots of beautiful variegated stems growing.

Thumbnail by Kell
Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh WOW!!!! I can see why it called you back......take me home.....take me home.
I know the feeling. That is one beautiful bamboo. I have several I bought from Lewis Bamboo. None of mine compare to that one. Just gorgeous. I've never seen one that had the large cane with all those little ones growing out of the top. Did they train it like that or does it just grow that way?

Pam

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Pam.
The rest of the nodes want to grow some shoots too but I will keep them clipped so it looks like a tree. I hope it does not send a bunch of skinny culms out. I guess I can cut them off if it does.

Today I looked at it and went OH NO! I do not think it is do to lack of water for the leaves are not folded. I did leave the top all wrapped in a brown paper for a couple of days until my husband could help me tip the plant over while I cut the paper off. I hope it is just in shock and will snap out of it soon. The humidity has dropped by lots too since I took this home. Also it is getting more sun from all my sky lights. But boy was I unhappy to see this.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

PS there are lots of brown leaves on the floor below it too. SHOOT!!

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Hopefully it is just a little from shock from the move, and will regroup soon.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

So? Did it make it? Huh, huh?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry! I didn't notice this thread was up in my Thread Watcher. I have so many. YES, it made it and is full of new green leaves. I was so happy. And let me tell you it is so dramatic as a house plant or rather house tree. LOL. Now I have to repot it into a ceramic pot but am going to wait till spring before I upset it again. It is in a 15 gallon black growers pot.

The other day I went to my local mall and there outside of the macy entrance was a little forest of these bamboo. Gave me great hope mine would do great inside. I hope the glass ceiling above it won't make it too cold in wiinter though.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

What a stunning plant! I really want to get a bamboo that I can have in a large pot on my path near a fence. I don't know much about these plants, will have to do some research!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love this plant Sue but it more tropical in nature so I must keep it inside. I will say it has hissy fits. It was looking so beautiful and then about December practically all the leaves turned brown. I thought I was losing it. But it may have been in protest to a heavy hand of fertilizer or maybe because the sun light had dramatically decreased. However it has rebounded, thank goodness.

Sue my favorite bamboo is Himalayacalamus hookerianus
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5755929

I have so many real blue culms I go nuts when I see it.

I have about 6 kinds now in huge pots - all with colorful culms. The trouble is they grow so fast and fill the pot. They already need watering everyday. Getting them out and cutting them in half is going to be a real chore. My husband will not be amused.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

This bamboo is not a happy camper. Now it looks like it has bamboo maggots. Is there such a thing? Does anyone know?

I am debating using alcohol wipes and neem oil sprayed to suffocate them. Would that be OK on a bamboo or will it discolor the pretty colored culm?

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I am not even sure those white wormy things are alive. I see almost transparent things that may be scale above the white stuff.

Anyone have any clue? Thanks

Thumbnail by Kell
Mulberry, FL

It almost looks to me like its putting out roots to keep its self alive sure there not roots. Think about it if the bottom has a problem it falls over and goes on from there trys anyway. just a thought looks like roots

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

No, not roots. I cleaned it all up using alcohol and it all came right off. The plant has really perked up. I also used Bayers Tree and Shrub on it as a systemic. I have no clue what insect it was.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Have those bugs come back Kell?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

No, they have not and the tree looks so good, almost too good now. Thriving in fact. I could tell almost immediately after I gave it the Bayer Tree and Shrub that is perked right up. I think it may be the fertilizer in the Bayer.

It is putting out tall culms though from the top of the standard which means it is hitting the glass windows in the ceiling which is not good. It is in an area in the dining room which has a16 feet high ceiling. No where else for it to go. I may have to cut it back.

Thanks for asking about it.

Council Hill, OK

Judging from the diameter when you bought it, I would expect a height of 30 or 40 feet when someone topped the poor thing.
Now is it a clumper or runner, I wonner.
Thomas

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Bambusa species are clumpers.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Well my poor one has not put out another culm.

It is looking bad again. It had another bout of that weird crud. In spring I am going to bring it outside for some fresh air and see if I can get it back into some good growth.

Woe is me.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine did great outside all summer--but it's not so happy now ever since we had some super windy weather a few weeks ago--all the leaves curled up during the windy days. Now they've opened up again but they've got a lot of brown spots and are looking windburned. I've got to move it in the greenhouse for the winter soon though, Bamboo Sourcery's website says they don't like temps lower than 36 and we've had a few nights that have been real close if not a bit below that (which probably isn't helping to make it any happier!)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Liz, you have a Bambusa vulgaris 'Vittata' ? How big? Where did you get it?

At 36 degrees I could leave it out maybe all year!!! It makes such a mess in my dining room. It grows leaves then drops them all. Makes me nuts. Also it gets my hopes up for a gorgeous tree then they sink again as it goes into crisis.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine's probably about 4 ft--got it from Bamboo Sourcery sometime early in the year (I saw the pics you posted here and had to have it! LOL) I was too lazy to drive to Sebastopol though so I got it mail order. I got one of the blue ones that you had another thread about too...mine's not very blue yet but I'm hoping when it gets bigger it'll be a bit more impressive!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

How exciting Liz!

I went to Bamboo Sourcery maybe 3 years ago to buy that bamboo for a friend. They had many in gallon cans but all looked sick. I may have to go back. LOL

It is a different kind of nursery. Built on the side of hill. I bought 2 bamboos, both very expensive for the small size.

Did you get http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/221678/? Mine last year was so blue. This year not so blue. So I am wondering what influences the color. I see that one at nurseries sometimes in a 5 agallon can for about $60 to $80.

I need a pic of your Bambusa vulgaris 'Vittata' !! I really do! I got hot for that one from Rj-rjuddharrison on here. He sent me pics of his friends and I had to have. LOL It is catching.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, that's the blue one I got. Mine hasn't been very blue this year, but it's pretty small (1 gal pot) so I was hoping it would get bluer with age. I don't have a pic of my Vittata--it looks bad right now with all the windburned leaves, should have taken a pic this summer when it looked nice! If you really want a pic though I'll try to remember to take one this weekend.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, I really want one. LOL. Just take one of the culm, I do not care about the leaves.

I came back here to curse you. You awoke the sleeping bamboo need in me. LOL Ever since I left here after my last post, I have been on the search for a bamboo I saw 2 + years ago at Dry Garden and so wanted. At the time I searched back to a bamboo nursery in Sebastopol but not Bamboo Sourcery. Then I never followed thru. It was a small possibly wholesale place. Now I could not find it.

I then had to search my emails for my notes on it, including the name. I could not find it so I had to go search thru 3 years of photos looking for the ones I took at Dry Garden with a pic of the name. Luckily I took pics of it every time I went. LOL

Then back to Google looking for a source. I found 2 mail order places. Then as I was closing out my open windows, I glanced down the one open to Bamboo Sourcery. And GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! they have it!! 3 years ago they did not carry it. Now I have to go to Sebastopol to look at them. LOL.

It is so hard being me.

I am in love.

Thumbnail by Kell
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I'm waiting with baited breath!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

OK, I will take a pic for you this weekend! Glad you found your other bamboo (which one is it???) And sorry about reawakening your need for bamboo--but I'm just getting even for all the times you post a pic of something and then I have to run out and buy it! LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Liz!

Chimonocalamus pallens. Isn't she a beaut?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Geesh, the prices

1 gal = 16-24" tall, $125
5 gal = 3-4' tall, $250
25 gal = 7-8' tall, $600

LOL

Why do I always fall for the $$$$ even when I have not seen the prices I always walk right over to the most expensive plant. However after a flurry of emails I found it much cheaper. YUM YUM YUM So combine beauty with infatuation and then a deal and I am there with my wallet open wide.

I might get another Bambusa vulgaris Vittata also. Why kill one when I can kill 2?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It is pretty but I'm not sure I'd pay that much for it...but if you can get it for less then I say go for it! And might as well kill 2 Vittata's too while you're at it...I always let myself kill things 3 times and then after that I'm not allowed to buy them anymore!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Liz!!!! I am going to tell Tom you said I could get it and 2 more painted bamboo. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

As long as you don't tell him where I live! LOL (although it wouldn't be too hard for him to find me, he just needs to drive around Dublin and find the house with a greenhouse on the front deck and a million potted plants all over the place!)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I will have to come look for you! LOL

The deal is made. I guess I am going on the road this week. And now I am going to look at my Bamboo want list I made over the last few years to see if there are others I have to have. The problem with bamboo is that they grow so fast and all mine are about to break open their 30 gallon ceramic pots. If only I could keep them from growing. I understand you need an hardy electric saw to divide them. Or maybe it was a jackhammer. LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Let loose the bamboo flood gates. I am back looking at bamboo sites with lust. LOL

Bamboo I have:
Phyllostachys nigra
Himalayacalamus Falconeri 'Damarapa'
Phyllostachys Bambusoides 'Castilon'
Bambusa vulgaris "Vittata"
Bambusa pervariabilis Viridistriata
Bambusa ventricosa 'Holochrysa Kimmei'
Ph. bambusoides holochrysa 'All Gold'
Bambusa multiplex 'Alphonse Karr'
Himalayacalamus hookerianus Teague's Blue

Bamboo I want:
Chimonobambusa quadrangularis 'Suow' known as "Golden Square Stem"
Phyllostachys aurea 'Koi'
Bambusa vulgaris Wamin DWARF BUDDHA BELLY BAMBOO
Drapanostachym khasyanum

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 7:44 PM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Where is your pic Liz? I really want to see it!

I went to Sebastopol and got my Chimonocalamus pallens for 15 gallons for $85. I figure by Bamboo Sourcery prices it would have gone for at least $450! Sadly it was way too tall for my car even with bending the tops way over and the last push into the back of the station wagon cracked the top 4 feet of the culms. But they grow so fast I am not unhappy.

And I saw another bamboo I just loved. Milk Chocolate culms!

Thumbnail by Kell
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I took the picture...but need to figure out what I did with the cable that connects the camera to the computer! As soon as I figure that out I will post it. Sounds like you got a good deal on your bamboo! And I like the one with the milk chocolate culms too. May have to put that on my wish list!

Davis, CA(Zone 9b)

>>And I saw another bamboo I just loved. Milk Chocolate culms!

Kell, what species of bamboo was that? It looks beautiful!

This message was edited Dec 14, 2009 8:10 AM

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

have you seen this Bamboo site ?
i keep promising myself to visit them :-)
http://www.bamboodirect.com/bamboo/catalog/mountainctlg.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.