Roos for Adoption

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Union, MO area is inundated with ducks, chickens and geese too!!!

I want a White Peachick.... Snifffff...

Clarkson, KY

Fairies of a feather flock together. Too many flockin' Fs. What with Chicken Fairies, Duck Fairies Goose Fairies, Pea Fairies, Guinea Fairies Adoption Fairies(TF) that's one fearsome flock o' bird slinging chicks(er...fairies). Or if Josh or Kelly or someone else is in on it maybe roos?! I'd always thought of the chicken fairy as a woman, but maybe I malign the men...;-)

This message was edited Aug 25, 2008 6:03 AM

Clarkson, KY

Come to think of it we should all count ourselves blessed the EMU Fairy hasn't come round... Wouldn't want to get hit with one of them!!lol

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

OMG if that isnt the truth there.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ohhhhh....I have an icky feeling in the pit of my stomach at the very mention of the EMU Fairy. Please no....

lol same here. I would love the meat but it is very very expensive. When i was in switzerland this past march, had ostrich meat and it was to die for good.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

SQWAWK!!! The OSTRICH Fairy!!!

(running and hiding for a VERY long time).

Very true, and them birds can be mean. No OF here.

Clarkson, KY

OF!! Claire said a potty word!!! (Admittedly EF was little better...)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

LOL! Potty word!!

(still hiding)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Six young maran roos for adoption at http://www.arl-iowa.org

Check the adopt-a-pet tool and choose barnyard buddies to see a pic!

The 4 roos (possible 3 and 1 hen) I got last week are doing great and they are so friendly, they even sleep together. They are RIR and just adorable.

Clarkson, KY

I have 6 up-and-comers Lots of black w/ purple, green, and red highlights. Never seen the purple before.

Lodi, United States

Still have my lovely Marans and 3 Barnevelder roos. Will ship.

I cant, I am roo poor now. and broke on top of it. UE didnt come in like it is suppose to.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I have a pair of Cornish Rocks, 6 months old, fully GROWN, and needing a gentle loving home. They don't mind if they are eaten before they collapse of heart failure...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/827751031.html

What do you guys and gals think of this black minorca roo? Neat looking bird!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

hey he is nice looking.

I have 2 red and 1 white silkie roos to give away, never shipped before, doesn't mean I won't, but I will need guidence and person receiving will have to pay shipping.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

minorcas have bad temperaments

Lodi, United States

They are Mediterraneans! Large wattles and combs-- do well in heat--poorly in cold climates. Range widely, active--dislike people--fairly safe from raptors due to size. The hens mature early and lay extra-large chalky white eggs.

I would risk a hen for the eggs, but I wouldn't want a roo--unless I was breeding them!:0)

Moxon--you NEED "Choosing and Keeping Chickens" by Chris Graham (British) and/or "Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds" (has some American breeds like the Buckeye that the British book misses).

These will help you develop restraint and discretion in your enthusiasms--Ha! Did I say that? These are the enabler's bibles. Tools of the Chicken Fairy! Spawn of the Poultry Devil!

Borders or Amazon.

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Chicken Fairy stole my copy from the mail truck...Just as well... ;-P

Lodi, United States

No Dusty, You NEED these books! If the CF stole your copies it is just so she can unload some of the more difficult breeds on you. Being prepared in advance can save a world of grief. Page 188 of Graham's book alone would be worth the price!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh Catscan, I have both of those books, and a raft more! The chicken addiction has led to a chicken book addiction also. I just finished reading "Enslaved by Ducks" which was hilarious. I didn't go look up the Minorca breed before posting...I should have. Oops. He's still a handsome roo!

Lodi, United States

Yes--it is important to research your acquisitions carefully--before throwing caution to the wind and taking the first feathery face that takes your fancy. So shallow.

Now here are some interesting young roos for your appreciation:

A lovely and bold Marans named Triumph.

Thumbnail by Catscan
Lodi, United States

An attempt to catch the peacock like yet subdued radiance of the Double-laced Barnevelder roo's back:

Thumbnail by Catscan
Lodi, United States

Once more:

Thumbnail by Catscan
Lodi, United States

Now the pullet:

Thumbnail by Catscan
Lodi, United States

A golden Sebright pullet in need of a home:

Thumbnail by Catscan
Lodi, United States

Nigella--who had a fling as Nigel and then gave up cross-dressing and became a pullet again (notice no sickle feathers):

Thumbnail by Catscan
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Wow, that Barnevelder roo is stunning. I love the colors and he has a very regal stance.

I am extremely envious of the sebright hen. I want her!!! If only I lived in Idaho... She is so beautiful. I hope she gets a great home.

LOL at Nigella - glad she has sorted out her gender!

Clarkson, KY

She was probably not nearly as conflicted as her handlers!!lol

Gao, Mali

Just don't let tf see those Barnevelders. Somebody distract her. She is grounded from getting more chickens. Especially from California.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CF

Lodi, United States

There may someday be Barnevelder hatching eggs from CA. Can she have those?

Gao, Mali

NO.
~~~
CF

Lodi, United States

You're MEAN!

Gao, Mali

No. I AM THE CHICKEN FAIRY.

Lodi, United States

Whoops. I didn't mean it. You know I respect you. Please don't send me any more roos!

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

tee hee! I thought everyone was going to send a letter to my city for me?!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.