For the vines collector...show your beautiful climbers!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

jmorth-how many separate vines is that, or is it one very large, and aged clematis?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

My SAC is covered with blooms as well...how ever - I think I have a dysfunctional one...LOL. Barely any scent to it....I've tried sniffin' in the morning...the afternoon...AND at night nothing...or barely. Whats up with that?!?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone. I love that fall clematis. They smell good too, don't they? Nice MG's.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

OMG Jmorth! Absolutely gorgeous! Yeah, is that just one plant? ! Tell us how you care for it.

Chantell my dear...weren't you already told "your nose is broke"? hahaha! I'm just teasing you though, the scent is so slight, I have to stick my nose in a bloom to smell it too. But I think if ours ever get like Jmorth's, it must spread the scent everywhere!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Nose "ain't broke" - I tell ya...it's the plant!! I have a very sensitive nose...just ask my teens!!! And the dang thing is COVERED in blooms it simply does NOT smell says Sam I Am!!!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Brugie, oh my, how big are those aristolochia blooms? Are they on steriods? :) I must find out more about them. Sun? Talk about showy. For those unenlightented garden visitors who don't notice my 'Blushing Susie' Thunbergia, that will get their attention. Great shot, great vine.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Just taking a guess, cedar18, that the blooms are close to 7-8 inches tall. They are probably 5-6 inches wide. Yesterday it was hot and there were bunches of open blooms. Today it is only 60 degrees, and I haven't been out yet.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

OK what I want to know is where are Taylor's pictures????

Oh, sheesh, Marie!, busted! LOL...I was hoping everyone would forget for a little while, lol... :0)

I've been cataloging my vines in an alphabetical list, and trying to make a folder with the pictures in the same order, so I could post them in some sort of orderly fashion, but this has turned into a lot of work and quite a time-consuming project.

I'm still working on it, though... slowly but surely.
-T

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lol just had to make sure you knew I was watching!!

:0)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Yeah that's right, we're watching! lol! Heck, just send them out of order! We're anxious, hehee

I thought about just doing a "daily vine post"...a new vine, one vine, each day...

It would take almost a year to get them all posted, but then we could keep threads separate for each vine, so we could discuss one at length if we wanted to, without clogging up one really long thread...

What do you think?
-T

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I love your idea. I tend to loose interest when threads get really long with lots of topics on them. Too much to read when there might not be something of interest there for my gardening skills. Looking forward to seeing your vines. I can't imagine having so many.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

The Fall Clematis I featured above and herewith is around 9 or10 years old. I think it is basically one plant. Further up the north leg are 3 more much smaller clematis vines. There used to be another about as large as the big one that every year climbed high up into a tree. Unfortunately. a storm in early August blew the whole tree over.
Pardon the dilapidated garage on the left. It's the neighbor's.
I'd estimate the vine runs 40 to 50' in the east-west axis and 25' on the south-north run.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

better detail

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

dense area

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth-
very impressive display of that clematis. I'll bet your garden smells wonderful.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

T, I think that's a wonderful idea! Start today please :o)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jmorth that clematis is amazing!!! T I love that idea. I am with Brugie I tend to loose interest too if a thread is too long or too far of subject.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

jmorth, those are amazing pictures. What is the red flower peaking though the clematis and adding accent? I love it. How gorgeous would it be to have them all through the clematis.....

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Stunning!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

The red interloper is Cypress Vine, a self-seeder here.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Cool. As hot as it was here, it made me think of winter and I could have stood the cooler temps. Now, I'm wishing for things to warm up a little again. The red and white is a great look. Love your pictures.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Happy Monday, everyone!
Here are Spanighs flags I grew from seed, along with goldflame honeysuckle.

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Hey Ipanema girl, just looked at your Spanish flag vine and Javier was just behind me and said, Clemen those are the colors of my flag, see, now he is so happy. Beautiful surroundings you have! Your friend from NY

Look at my wall in NY, been working on it, however, EVERYTHING will be dead soon, hate it, I want to be where you are, warmer than here at least, but you have the earthquakes that scare me so much, been in too many already!

Thumbnail by Clemen
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi little friend! Tell your hubbie I LOVE Spain! Went I went to Granada I just wanted to drop everything and move there! Spanish flags are even prettier now. I send some more pics!
The other day there was an earthquake here, it was my second, so scary, 10 seconds felt like an hour!

aHHHHHHHHHH Granada, Spain, not in Nicaragua, lol, although Granada nicaragua gorgeus, anyway, just beautifull i agree and Javier is so happy you acknowledge him. Earthquake wise, I feel for ya, scary and terrible feeling, specially when homes or buildings are not made to withstand damage.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow all your vines are georgeous!!! We have two silver lace vine and they are geourgeous now also! I would post a picture but its raining really hard ( has been fror three days!). Now it is thanks to Ike. Hopefully all the posters here from Texas are fine!!! God speed to you all. My question is.... When do I prune back our vines? Its been on our fence for two years now and its taking over... We also have honeysuckles it is crowding that out also. Love the honeysuckles also. They blossomed most of the summer here. When do I cut those back also? Is it in the spring along with the Clematis? Just to 12 inches from the ground? My husband is going to blow a gasket when I do this. He love his vines. I have looked on the plant files and can not find anything about the Silver Lace vines.. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks Ronna

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Good question Ronna! It's my first year with my silverlace and I would like to know too...

Can't help here no silver lace!

Thumbnail by Clemen
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Google Polygonum aubertii--- silver lace vine

Andersonville, TN

Do you not cut your autumn clematis back each year? My mom cuts hers to about 10 inches, and it always comes back glorious. I trimmed mine back a year ago last spring, and it still has not fully recouped. I was trying to remove the dead wood and retrain it, but I only took mine down to 4 feet. I'm just not happy with the results.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I've never cut mine back

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

But it probably dies back in the winter, right? I wonder if you live in a frost-free climate (like me) you'd have to prune it back to keep it under control?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

more than likely

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I cut mine back in the spring when it begins showing growth. Might not be the right time to do it, but it's worked so far.

Tecomanthe Dendrophylla...

Thumbnail by
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Under the moonflowers is a Clematis that always turns brown and ugly in late summer. Decided this year to grow something that would hide the Clematis during it's "ugly" period. I think I accomplished my objective.

Thumbnail by pastime
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow!! I had never heard of T. Dendrophyla before...Gordo do you have a picture of the whole vine?

Pastime, yes, you did a wonderful job! I love the heart shaped leaves of moonflower. And of course the blooms! For those who've never seen one "in person"...these are the size of my hands!

Thumbnail by robcorreia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.