For the vines collector...show your beautiful climbers!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

OK seedpicker-TX, I started this thread so that we can see your beautiful collection of vines. Show us!
Roberta : )

Thumbnail by robcorreia
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Roberta!
gorgeous aristolochia you have there!!

well, you kinda put me on the spot, lol...I've been up since 4am, going through photo dvds, and trying to put all my vine photos in one large folder...

I just realized I'm only half-way through...

why don't you make this your thread with all of yours?
...("turnabout is fair play!"~ they say...)

:0)
...I'm going to be a while...lol

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh boy, I wish, I wish! That's not even my aristolochia, I took this pic the other day at the botanical gardens, lol! Of course I took a cutting, but it's going to be a loooong while until I have something like this!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a Silver Lace vine, which wintered over from last year. It doesn't get very much sun, so no blooms

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Potato Vine

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cup & Saucer, just budding

Joanna-
tell me your secret with the cup and saucers...mine don't look near that nice...I had four, and one died. The rest are just hanging in there....

I like that tiki torch, too! Aren't the glass ones, nice? You can actually see when you go to fill them, so you don't spill...:0)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

C&S do better for me in part sun. I have Smart Cote slow release fertilizer in all the containers & in August I also use Miracle Grow Ultra Bloom. Last year I had C&S in the ground and it grew about the same. It was on a much larger trellis, so it looked a lot better. We had a very late cold wet spring, so pretty much everything is a full month behind last year.

ah-ha...maybe I should keep mine in pots...maybe the root restriction is causing them to mature faster...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No, I think fertilizer is the key. It had done well in the ground for last year.

lol..ok, gotcha. I'll toss is some composted manure :0)
thanks

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Joanabnana, I love all your pictures! My cup and saucer isn't blooming yet. But my Silver Lace vine is really putting on a show for me!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

The flowers are definitely a silver lace...very delicate and beautiful.

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Gloriosas

Thumbnail by jmorth
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm hesitant to move the Silverlace, since it's not really hardy here. Perhaps I can cut the neighbor's tree to allow in more light and then it will bloom.

jmorth, I tried the Gloiosas & it never grew. It just never broke dormancy. The tuber is still firm & looks to be of good color and such, but didn't sprout at all. a fairly expensive dud.

Beautiful pics

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Joanna, patience is the key to growing Gloriosa Lilys - start the tuber indoors in Jan. or Feb. and it will sprout by April or May - they take their time! J and Rylaff taught me how to grow them successfully. J sent me some recently, and they really put on a show for me this summer. I am moving to Florida, where they can go in the ground.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Ohhhh, Gloriosas...they were a big disappointment for me this year! Both tubers rotted on me...I don't know what I did wrong!
Joanna, my Silver lace doesn't get much sun at all....maybe a couple of hours a day? I do have a brick pathway in front of that trellis tough, so it might like the heat.

This is my Clematis Tangutica, I trained it up a palm tree.

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I gave the silver lace a shot of Miracle Grow Ultra Bloom. It's also been quite hot, so maybe that will get the blooms going

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I just realized you're in Canada! Wow, totally different growing condition.....she will definitely benefit from some added heat!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Dolichos - Hyacinth Bean

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hummingbird Vine - Campsis

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Night shot from below

Thumbnail by jmorth
Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
...I took this pic the other day at the botanical gardens, lol! Of course I took a cutting, ...

They allow taking cuttings at a botanical garden? I find that difficult to believe.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Eggs, I see you are concerned. I took a 4 inch cutting out of a huge plant. I don't think it made any difference to the health of that plant and I honestly don't think the botanical garden would have a problem with that.
Rob ; )

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

What if only 100 of the 50-some-odd-thousand yearly visitors to the garden did the same thing? I mean, it's still only a 4" cutting, right? But, now, there'd be 33 feet of vine missing. Do you think it would still look as good? The botanical gardens around the world are there for a reason. That reason isn't to provide it's visitors a cheap method to stock their own private collections. I'm quite sure you could find the same Aristolochia available for trade, right here at Dave's, at the same price that you paid for yours. ;)

If you honestly don't think they'd mind, why don't you ask them their policy on it? Where was it, Balboa?

edited to add:

If you do contact them, and ask about their policy on visitors taking cuttings (though I doubt seriously that you will), and they reply that they have no problem with it, I'll gladly retract my concerns, and never bring up the subject again. Fair enough?

This message was edited Aug 30, 2008 3:55 PM

Eggs-
no point starting a fight, now...
lets keep these forums friendly, ok?

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

seedpicker, how did I "start a fight"? I simply pointed out what I thought was a wrong, and stated if *I* was wrong, I'd admit it.

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Ok J morth here is your baby Gloriosa! remember you sent me some and they are gorgeous, Roberta love you much!!!!!

Thumbnail by Clemen
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhhhh I "NEED" a Gloriosa - ok....for next year at least...LOL Clem...how are you over wintering that beauty?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Clemen,
Pleased it grew well for you.
Here's a new Gloriosa for me - Gloriosa Greenii.
I'm not sure that is an official species designation, but the color remains the same all through it's cycle.
J

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

The Fall Clematis is about to set the tone here in early September. Photo features another vine, Cypress Vine in contrast to the Clematis.

Thumbnail by jmorth
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow J, that picture looks like a postcard!
Oh, I have goood news! I had declared my gloriosa tuber "officially deceased" in the latest gloriosa thread....but just yesterday, I was digging on that corner to put in something else...and the tuber had set roots! I was so happy....I thought it had rotted!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I finally got around to taking a picture of my aristolochia. It's been feast or famine this year with her blooms.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Picture two. I counted over 30 buds and blooms this time around.

Thumbnail by Brugie
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

That's gorgeous Brugie!

Thank you J, Love that vine brugie! hi roberta!

Chantell over wintering it, I will follow mama J morth right, just bring her in the pot on a cool spot!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Fall Clematis along one leg of fence.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

At telephone pole, the clematis makes a 90° turn with the chain link fence it grows on and runs west for the same distance it covered the north/south running fence previously pictiured.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I also have some nice morning glory at back door.

Thumbnail by jmorth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.