Crimson Cloud how would it do here on the east side?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

It's a hawthorn. I want to find one and plant it. But I need some educated guesses. Would it like Helena? It's a recommended street tree in Missoula, but that's a warmer, wetter climate.

Any idea? Sofer? Anybody have one?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I looked it up here :

http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/CRALAEB.pdf

The USDA says it is good to 4B which is what your info says is your zone. They can live 400 years which sounds really nice, to me.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Very nice fact sheet, Paja. Yes, we're 4B, but we have been having super-dry winters, and widely fluctuating winter & spring temps. That's what killed a lot of trees this spring.

So does anyone in Montana or Alberta have an English Hawthorn?

Julie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There are hawthorns here but don't know if anyone has crimson cloud picante. There are some serious rust problems with them here. It may because we have alot of crab apples, mountain ash and junipers which are also rust hosts.

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

We planted a Paul's Scarlet here in hi-desert zn5, and it rusted out the first season. :( We ended up lopping off the top half of the little guy and relocating him to the Hill of Shame in the back corner of our property. There are some magnificent old hawthornes here in Bend and they look spectacular when in bloom & leaf. I love them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL I luv the ' Hill of Shame' concept.

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

hee hee. Current residents of our Hill of Shame include the hawthorne, 2 alpine currants, and a catpee boxwood - a motley crew.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm not sure rust is much of a problem here. We have loads of crabapples, mountain ash and junipers, too, and I just haven't seen any fungal disease. Just a lot of chlorosis.

There is a type of hawthorn here, a thornless one, that is very common. We have one about 15 feet tall in our yard, and I see lots of hedges that look like the same plant. I haven't seen any fungus on them.

My Amur chokecherry gets fungal every year (3 years so far), and I suppose that could be rust. How do you identify it?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Rust... powdery rusty stuff on the leaves. It rubs off on your hands. Can't really miss it. Orthonex (if you choose to use chemicals) works on my roses... hope that helps.

Brenda

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Nope, it's not rust on the Amur chokecherry, then. It's dark spots on the underside of the leaf, then it turns yellow, then brown around the edges, then all brown. It progresses from the leaves nearest the trunk outward.

Thumbnail by picante
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Here's another pic showing the spots.

Thumbnail by picante

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.