That chicken fairy has to leave me alone!! She redusted me!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Thanks Christy!

One of the two OEG hens REALLY picks on the little Wyandotte. I am not sure what to do about this. When I take out the aggressive one, the Wyandotte comes down off her perch and eats/drinks and walks around, but when I put her back, poor little Wyandotte gets pecked mercilessly and goes back to the top perch. Anyone have experience with this? Right now I take out "meanie" twice a day to let the Wyan get her food & water.

Claire

Novinger, MO(Zone 5b)

Well, you could always try a time out box.....usually used for nasty roos but I wonder if that would work for a nasty hen too? Maybe she has taken the power of being at the top of the pecking order a bit too far and has to be taken down a knotch?

Maybe a little thunk on the head with a firm no-no when she goes after the Wyandotte would work? I know I've had it work for a turkey poult (baby) and some have had it work with a chick with a bad attitude......would it work with a full grown hen too?

Christy

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

I holler at my chickens when they go to peck at my feet or go to fighting. My grandson will tell them, hey nanna dont allow any fighting here cut it out. Or knock it off, nanna says no fighting.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I got rid of my "meanie"... but if you have the room, you could definitely try separating.

londonderry, Australia

i get rid of mine too some people just eat them but i just give them too my friend who can handle them

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I got out my old hamster cage for a time-out box. I like that idea. It's small but has 2 levels in it. She is approximately the size of a pigeon anyway, so it's a fine size for a time out box. She will be going in there for a little while (like maybe 30 minutes) twice a day for "relief" for the Wyandotte, until I notice a decrease in pecking. I tried it tonight and it worked perfectly. The Wyandotte got some cottage cheese and other treats and water and all. The other hen is fine with the Wyandotte. When we get the other coop finished, I will put 2 feeders and waterers in it. She can't be everywhere at once, and hopefully that will quell the problem.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh, I forgot, I came up with names. Since they are old English game birds, I chose names from a British drama series I used to enjoy. Does anyone know the series from the names? Let's see who is a British TV fan?!

Their names are Mr. Hudson, Mrs. Bridges, and Ruby. :-)

Lodi, United States

Upstairs/Downstairs.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hooray! Prize for Catscan - a free rooster! Everybody give three cheers! ;-)

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

hip hip hurray!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Did you watch the series Catscan? I watched it with my parents when I was still living at home. I enjoyed it though. I'm thinking about getting them the DVDs for Christmas. Or maybe the Brideshead Revisited DVDs. They just got their first DVD player - a little behind the times on technology but they are in their 70s. My Dad emails every day too, so they are not too far behind!

Mrs. Bridges is the bossy hen, of course.

Hip Hip, Hurray!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

hmmm could you try that link agian?>

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i paid $30.00 saturday for a gamecock to calm down the hens. everything was fine until yesterday, when the girls picked his tail till there was nothing but raw meat. put bossman in a separate pen after i doctored him, and hope he will recover. this is the second rooster they have disposed of. what is wrong with these hens not wanting a man?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh dear, poor rooster! Maybe those hens are menopausal? LOL...

Maybe you need several roosters? How many hens are there?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

7 hens, and they are young. they started laying the first of july

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Wow....I have no idea. It would seem like 1 rooster should be enough. I am clueless about this one - hopefully the experts will weigh in...

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i hope. this makes two roos badly hurt, and 1 i was able to get out before he got hurt

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Do they all pick on him the same, or do you have one or two who are particularly merciless? Maybe you need to cull a couple of the aggressive hens?

Is the roo about the same age as the girls? Poor thing.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

what is cull? they all peck but the biggest one is gonna be dumplings if she don't straighten up

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

he's a bit younger, but oscar was the same age, and wally older

cull is making dumplings.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

oh! i see

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Maybe someone told them the truth about men.

Claire, I saw Upstairs/Downstairs again by joining netflix, and it makes me want to buy it, too! What a great series that was. I need to check and see if they have Brideshead -- I have no interest whatsoever in seeing the remake. I heard they cut the Boy Mulcaster part!

Anyway... back to the hens... I haven't finished The Coop yet, but it's giving me time to come up with a theme for their names. I'd thought about my favorite writers, but I already have a kitty named Louisa May Alcatt. Jane, Charlotte, and Emily, maybe?

Lodi, United States

And a rooster "Branwell"?

Clarkson, KY

LOL. Branwell doesn't sound so chaste and virginal( I Do like those names, btw) but then maybe adding a roo they wouln't need to.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay, I see the plot going. If someone complains, then I can say my friends Miss Austen and the Brontes are visiting out there. I'll ask them to hold it down...

;}

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Great names Brigid - I really think it's time for your visit from the CF...

I didn't know there was a remake of Brideshead. I think I'd stick with the original!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.