That chicken fairy has to leave me alone!! She redusted me!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well, we went to the Iowa State Fair today. I will post some pics of my fave birds later. But for now, we have acquired 4 banties. That chicken fairy was all over me like a ton of bricks.

I got these three friends - 2 hens and a rooster (what am I thinking?!). No names yet. They are bantam English something or other. I'm not sure what colour they are. I found when I got them home that they seem to have little mites or something around their vents. I need to get something for that. Got the trio for $15. I love them though - they are super easy to handle. One of the hens sat in my lap for the whole drive home, about 40 minutes. No fussing or flapping or anything. What a sweet nature. Their beaks were overgrown and their nails too. All clipped now.
Claire

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Just love their look!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

And the 4th....this little black bantam Wyandotte. Cute as a button. $5.

No mites or overgrown beak/nails on her. She's clean as a whistle.

What a sweetie!

So I have the others in a dog crate for now to keep them separate on account of the mites or whatever. The black bantie is in with the standards in the Eglu.

Claire

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
londonderry, Australia

Claire
great chickens your flock is getting bigger and bigger there is no stopping it LOL

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

those OEGs are silver duckwings, you got a great buy on them. tyring to recall what to use for lice.... i have a spray i got from Meyer hatchery, only had to use it once, must have worked.... soem use a DE dusting... a warm bath would kill them, but not the eggs, so they would need another bath as soon as those hatched... keep them WAY away from the others, and admidnister whatever ASAP...

your bantam is perfect!

ready for that Fairy Zapper?

londonderry, Australia

LOL

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

What a cute little trio!

Sorry to distract with learning more about how to care for these little creatures, but how could you tell that their beaks and nails were overgrown and how do they get that in the first place? Will free range, pecking and scratching typically keep them in tip top shape?

londonderry, Australia

i dunno tf is the expert she would know

Lodi, United States

tf--enlighten us.

Gate (Rochester), WA(Zone 7b)

I have had game birds (Ringneck pheasants) have their beaks get too long. Not certain why, maybe not enough places for them 'file them down'. They would get a bit of a hook on the tip of the beak, making it hard for them to eat. Game birds (including peafowl) typically have longer talons. For protection and scratching up bugs, etc, I imagine. Everyone I've talked to regarding game birds advises wearing gloves and if keeping for breeding, you debeak to keep them from killing one another.

Never noticed on my chickens (maybe I never looked?)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i only trim them if they are going to a show, or a roo is getting into a hens back... i have been to a friends where here's are penned and dont' range, and their nails ARE LONG! some even get little mud balls on them...

i would never trim a beak...

londonderry, Australia

some of my chickens have had there beaks cut off dose anyone know why (they were like that when i got them i would never do that)

Lodi, United States

To keep them from pecking other chickens if they are at very close quarters--some people do it routinely--but it shouldn't be necessary if they have enough room. They always do it in batteries. Horrid.

londonderry, Australia

well thats not fare they need there beaks to defend themselves and to eat

Lodi, United States

People are horrid.

londonderry, Australia

i know

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

hey, call me funny, i think my roos need their 3 inch spurs to defend their hens...

londonderry, Australia

wow 3 inches
ouch is all i have to say

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

actually Best is two and a half years old, and his may be a little longer now. he has survived MANY dog attacks, even where HE was attacked. i felt awful when i thought i had lost him...

yeah, my boys have a lot of respect for him. he can be fifty feet away, and give them a LOOK, and they tip toe!

londonderry, Australia

my roosters ones are going to touch some day i swear

and while we are on the subject of spurs can hens turn into rooster because my hen has started groing some and they are realy long i know some hens get tiny ones but these are like an inch long

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

my welsummer from catscan has spur nubs at a young age...

if hens get a hormone problem where they can no longer cycle, they can feather in like a roo and start crowing! so i guess spurs would count!

londonderry, Australia

weird i first noticed them when the rooster was ummmmmm "servicing" another hen and she came up and kicked him off usualy only other roosters do that

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

is she his favorite?

londonderry, Australia

no

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well, maybe she is trying to get his attention?

londonderry, Australia

oh i didnt think of that

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

glad to have helped LOL, good night! enjoy your second birthday!

t-f

londonderry, Australia

ok good night

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hmmm.....let me try to explain about the feet and beak.

Their toenails/claws were about 3/4 of an inch long on the front claws, and maybe 1/4 of an inch or slightly more on the single back claw. The front ones you could see the pink quick inside, and then you could see the long front part ahead of it. Most of their claws were actually twisted, and some were beginning to twist. I used to volunteer in an animal shelter and have seen rabbits come in with nails like that. It is when they have never had anything to wear them down, so they just grow and grow. The ends of some of the chicken claws were, in my opinion, probably making it difficult for them to keep their balance on a flat surface (as opposed to a perch). They stuck out at funny angles when they walked. I should have taken photos. I was able to cut off at least 1/4 inch from every nail without any bleeding. Some a bit more. Their nails are light coloured so it's really easy to see the quick.

Two beaks looked completely normal. The other hen's beak, in the front, had a long, overgrown part. It was about 1/2 inch long stretching down from where the "normal" tip of the beak would be. It sort of made her look like a bird of prey! It was curved in the front. You could see through the material - it was just like very thin fingernail. I think again she was not on a feed that allowed her to wear it down? It did not follow the normal shape of the beak. The other hen had a completely normal beak, so I could see where it should be. I think if it was left alone, it would begin to interfere with her eating. I just used the nail clipper to clip back to the usual edge area. Like I said, you could see through the material and it was clear there was no blood supply there. Again, at the shelter, we would sometimes have budgies or parrots come in whose beaks were overgrown. Kind of sad. Easy problem to fix, but if not fixed, sometimes they starve.

TF - I think if you had seen this bird's beak, you would have trimmed it. It was definitely not at all normal. One of the official "chicken people" at the show (who was showing birds) even commented (when I was eyeing the birds) that they were nice birds but their nails were very overgrown and that the one's beak needed trimming, although I had already determined that for myself. It was very obvious that it was not right.

When the guy showed up for me to pay, he was extremely elderly and seemed a little bit unsure of himself. I wonder if he is maybe not able to care for his birds properly any more?

Claire

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I found in one of my books that petroleum jelly (vaseline) is good with the vent lice/mite problem. I put some on all of their little bums last night and this morning, I can see a bunch of dead lice there. I will keep using that because it is non-toxic and easy to apply. I'll see how they do. They also have a dust bath with some diatomaceous earth in it.

Claire

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

Claire,
Boy do you have the chickenitis. Glad you got you bantams. Are you done now????

I will be taking about 5 chickens to my grandmothers this coming weekend. I will take her some of my crested. 4 hens and 1 roo.

Then I will give my mom about 20 of the crested. I plan on keeping only a couple of the hens and a roo or 2. Then the rest of the crested I will take to auction in September as trios.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

ummmm, AFTER you come to visit me, right?

Claire, good to know about the petroleum jelly! soemtimes hens are just hatched with a twisted beak. we had one named beaker... didn't even notice till she was about 5 weeks old. so we hand fed her separate for a while, and she quickly got the hang of free ranging. she didn't grow as big as the others, but was happy and spoiled.

sounds like you are putting your experinece to good use! glad you have your chicks!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I see you are talking about mites/lice here. I just picked up two little 2 week olds and jut found a mite under one of their wings. Do you think they are too young for the petroleum jelly?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I doubt it. It's not toxic or anything, as far as I know. People use it on baby humans, right? I wouldn't slather the whole bird in it. I was using it primarily around the vents of the 3 that I got. Today, I found a whole bunch of dead lice/mites around the vent, and just wiped their vent area with a soft cloth. Then I reapplied the vaseline again. I did not see a single live one on them, but that doesn't mean there weren't any. It's just that yesterday, when I looked at the same area, I could see probably 15-20 at any time I looked. So to me, this is a big improvement. I think I'll use it for a week and then stop and monitor daily and see what I can see. If I were you, I might try it under the wing where you found it, and check their vent area for sure. Maybe apply there preventively? I am not an expert in this - I just read about the use of vaseline in one of my new chicken care books. It said that it smothers the lice or mites and kills them.

Claire

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

It got me thinking though. Now I'm going to check all my birds tonight. The two older girls are not going to be happy about me ruffling their feathers! Its hard enough to keep a hold on them, let alone dig around their vents and peep under their wings! ha!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yes, the bantams are a little easier to hold while looking at their vents. One thing I did, although I don't know if it's "recommended" is I used a thin facecloth over their head when I did it. They seemed to struggle less. I did it primarily not to get myself pecked too much! But, they didn't even try to peck, so maybe that would be something to try? I had my standard girls under my arm with the head facing to the back so I could check vents. It would also help to have someone else hold them!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

luckycharm, you sound like you have a butch chicken. Live and let live!

Claire, you are making me learn SO much before my little flock gets here! I'm SO glad to learn from you instead of for myself!!! ;p

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

LOL Brigid - I never thought I'd be able to teach anyone anything after having chickens for only just over a week. However, I learn something new every day. Plus, the books I bought have been tremendously helpful. And, I work with two women who have kept chickens for years, so they are a useful source of information for me.

Claire

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

See -- the CF is VERY merciful. When I get them, it's just me. I have the books, and DG, and hopefully that will be enough.

Novinger, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL....a butch chicken!

Claire.......looks like the cf got dusted you and good too! ha ha ha! Congrats on your newest additions....they sure are cute! : )

Christy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.