More blooms!

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

I walked out the back door this morning into a wonderful fragrance. My Echinopsis bloomed overnite. I've had these for over thirty years and have never noticed them puting out such a fragrance. I've had them on the side pourch (northeast) this year where they get several hours of sunsight. Before I had them on the front pourch were they got very little sunlight. Could that make a difference or am I just getting older and enjoying them more?
Gary

Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Close-up of one of the blooms. Also need a definite ID. I think it's an E eyriesii.
Some think E los angeles. Mine don't look as pink as the E eyresii in plant files.
The E los angeles looks like it fades to white in the center. MIne don't. Any Ideas?

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Here's another plant that I've had for a long time. It has only bloomed once for me and only had two flowers at that time. I have really mistreated this one with lack of water and leaving it in small pots. I just repotted it from a 6" pot to a 10 1/2" pot and began pouring the water to it. Wollah!!!! It's getting blooms all over it. In the picture, it's the one in the corner (the rat tail).

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

A close-up of the blooms.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

And anothe mistreated one that I've had for a long time. This one has never bloomed. I was very excited when I noticed it blooming.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

A picture of the blooms.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

And one more. It is a Crassula picturata. I.ve been waiting for about three weeks for one of these little (3/8") blooms to open. Whew!!! Very pretty, but you have to look close.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Oh, I almost forgot. This is one of my favorites. Crown of Thorns.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Congrats on you success.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Austin, TX

Yes, more sunlight is likely to yield more blooms with most cactus. Great pictures you've done a wonderful job with all these plants.

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

They all decided to bloom at once. What a show that must have been around your property. That Echinopsis is sure a big happy looking plant. What is the name of the ropey looking one with the small white flowers?

This message was edited Aug 8, 2008 5:47 PM

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, dale and ashjuniper. Does more sunlight cause them to have more fragrance?
Dlmcgrw, Yes, quite a show and it is just starting. Sorry, I don't know the name of the ropey looking one.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Smashed Cactus (does that imply something we should know about?)

I bet age has more to do with fragrance than size, in container plants.

I like aloes, can't kill 'em.

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Dale-a-Gardener, I think if I were a hummingbird I would love your little white bells. I kind of like them even though I am not a hummingbird. I love Aloe blooms, the plants get so tacky looking in the summer they are hard to love. Well, the tree aloes don't do too bad in the summer.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

dale, there were about 80 cacti under and around that window. I saved a handful.
All is fine now and I've been having fun replacing the 80++++++++ cacti and succulants. All the ones posted above were survivors (not under the window) except the crassula. Oh, and no I don't drink. LOL
gary

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Cactus, does your wife drink? Is that her vehicle?

Louisville, KY

Hahaha. Or should we now call you smashedcar?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I always wondered about the smashed name! ; ) Congrats on the blooms and thanks for posting. I really enjoyed seeing them all in bloom. I don't know about cactus, but my roses get a stonger fragrance as the bush ages. Looks like that first one is going to give you more blooms. Besides moving to more sun, are you doing anything else different? As we age I do think we get wiser and learn to enjoy the blooms a bit more than we did in our younger years!

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Dale, no my wife doesn't drink, either. And that's not her car. It was hit, too. It ended up in the middle of the highway heading in the other direction. I like your pictures. Thanks for posting them.
Plantgeek88, Smashedcar, smashedhouse, smashedcactus, smashed. It doesn't matter. I just love your comments. You bring a lot of joy and laughter to these threads. Someone's going to have to show or explain to you how to get pictures on here. My son had to show me. There was an article in the newsletter a few weeks back on the subject. I don't know if you can go back to them or not.
Cactuspatch, thanks. I don't think I'm doing anything else different. Maybe a little more water than usual. I think I'm just enjoying them more.
Gary

Louisville, KY

Smashed(all-over-the-place),I know, I know-I've gotta learn how to do a bit more of this techy stuff if I want to play. I have blooms and seedlings everywhere and I would love to share(show off) with y'all. Last week, my echinocereus reichenbachii bloomed and I drug my poor neighbors' butt inside cause I knew he would be so thrilled to see it.
It's hopeless folks. But you all understand.

Sorry to see all that mess with somebody's bad driving. Hope no one was hurt.

Nice blooms Dale_a_gardener

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Nothing difficult about adding photos. Just notice that box that says Image below the box where you post a reply. Click browse and then click on your photo when the screen comes up. You do need to know where you saved your photos of course. We all want to see those photos! ; )

Louisville, KY

Cactuspatch that's the easy part. I don't know how to put an image from a camera into the bloomin' computer.(don't even have a camera, not even on the cell phone) I'm a newbie at this stuff and usually when someone talks tech, my head blows up. Thanks, but you all may have to wait awhile on pics. At least till I can talk sweetie into showing me how.

Oh, and smashedcactus, thanks for the compliment. :)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am big on photos, even when I have nothing to say>

Louisville, KY

With a bloom like that you don't need to.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Dale, another great photo! plantgeek--can't help you there then LOL!

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Week four and finally seeing more blooms open on my Crassula. One thing about it. You don't have to stay up all nite to catch these blooms, LOL.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

My rat tail (sorry, I don't know the name) has blooms on almost every tip now. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get it out from under the rails. It is probably 7 to 8 ft in length from the tallest and lowest point. I just got the new rails, so they are staying,LOL. Looks like i'll be getting a few new starts off of this one.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Dale, Thanks for posting the pictures. I love pictures.

Louisville, KY

Oooh, love your little rat-tails.
Insert virtual pic here- echeveria topsy-turvy. Whee!

Pittsburgh, PA

smashedcactus, your first picture reminds me of a cheerleader with pom poms.
G.O....C.A.C.T.U.S...!!!!

Valley Village, CA

To respond to your question, some Echinopsis requre more shade than others and with mine I find they may even stary open four days. 'Flying Soucer' is one that come to mind. I love your pictures, I like the appearane of the flowering on both sides of the plant, you found the magic that gets yours to flower. Norma

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Most succulents & cactus die in our summer rains. There are a few that can take it tho...this kind of Euphorbia is widely grown in the ground and they are many hybrids available.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

All~ Thanks for sharing your photos. Any photo: plants, gardens, pots, car crashes, whatever; makes this much more fun. I love photographing succulents too. OK, this might have to be entered into the "bad parent' handbook, but I have more photos of my plants than I do of my two boys! Two of my fav subjects are agaves and aeoniums. So artsy. Here are a couple. No need to shop at Target for wall art.

Thumbnail by zone10
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Pic #2

Thumbnail by zone10
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

That is probably because the plants hold still longer, so you can frame the shot...

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Sure, that's the reason (wink, wink). Dale-A, is that a Kalanchoe? Nice blooms color.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Kalanchoe yes, don't know the species. It grows new plants on the tips of the leaves. Blooms every winter, good landscape plant, but, kind of 'lumpy' so it is hard to mix with other plants.

Most folks want this kind of landscape, which I would describe as 'neat'>

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Gorgeous landscape and I know what you mean about people wanting "neat". There are so many what I call "Dr. Seuss" plants in my neighborhood. You know the ones, where all of the plants are sculpted? They can be really beautiful and interesting. I prefer a bit of nature in my garden, as natural as possible. You? Anyone else?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Natural landscapes appeal to me, especially if I can see them and not have to pay the taxes....

Louisville, KY

I love a lush, natural look. Neat rows seem constricted to me, like perfect hair, you just want to mess it up.
Great pics y'all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.