Got lilies? II

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Add new additions to "Got lilies? " here. The old one was taking too long to load.

Here is the url of our previous thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/869454/

This message was edited Aug 5, 2008 7:34 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

sorry paj o crappola I just posted on the old thread. I hope you'll go back to see my new pics but from now on I'm on this thread.

Santa Fe, NM

I need some pixies!

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

oooo.... lilies! I had to get out my drool bib looking at all of your beautiful picts on the other thread. I have some tried 'n true stella d'oros, but after seeing what you folks have, I've just got to branch out! Do lilies in general prefer sun or shade?

Santa Fe, NM

Hmm. Good question. I think mine like sun with some shade. Or shade with some sun. l.o.l. I tried some in more shade but they don't like that as much. The blooms last longer if they aren't in full sun all day, that I know!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yeah, I think roybird is right, some sun and some shade. You have to water the ones in full sun a lot to keep them from turning brown but too much shade and just grow very very slowly. But I think they prefer full sun to full shade.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The asiatics I have in half day sun seem to last the longest. daylilies don't do well for me even in that much sun. I have most in about 3 hours. Unknown smokey orange

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

yippee finally a tiger. My old big stand seem to have pooped out. I wonder if accidently splashing some roundup on them might have something to do with it duh!

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have decided the LA hybrids are very social.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, what beautiful lilies! Even the surviving Tiger Lily. That LA hybrid is lovely -- especially with daisy and poppy!

Santa Fe, NM

Pretty trio, Dahlia!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Dahlia, I like your orange NOID. My color scheme for next year's lilies is gold and orange.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

revclaus are you doing a mix of asiatics, daylilies, orientals etc? or just one division? Are you mixing them with companions or just all lilies together? Inquiring minds need to know these details ^_^ I have to delay my new lily border planned for next year cuz the deck from hoot project has gone off the rails and now that border is piled with 2 feet of clayey soil argh!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Two questions:
1) do you think its ok to get a 2nd mortage to pay for your lily order?
2) how come they don't have a 'buy all' option in the lily cataglogue?

I'm having trouble with the short list this year sigh.

dahlianut, I garden only in containers, and I mix asiatics, orientals, L.A.,s a orienpets in a single container, along with tulips and other spring bulbs. They're all finished now, so they're growing on for next year. I'm going to keep my Red Hots and Boogie Woogies, but I'll be getting rid of the Samurs -- too tall for our windy balcony. We had a windstorm day before yesterday that blew all the petals off my Versailles clematis, and it's not very tall! One of those strange storms we get every now and then.

I'm rethinking mixing them all in the containers for next year. I might put orange lilies in one, yellow in another, white in another and red in another. I'd better get going, though, or there won't be any left to buy!

So sorry about your project disrupting your border plans :-(

Boy, me too! I do think it's okay to refinance your house to pay for next year's lilies. In fact I can recommend a great lender! LOL

Thumbnail by revclaus
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

o that sounds so luvly revclaus. I hear you about the wind. Monochromatic containers would be cool but mixes are pretty too. That's a toughie decision that I also have to make for my new border. I was thinking all one variety would look quite fancy/dancy but then there wouldn't be the colour mix that I luv.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OUTSTANDING revclaus! I'm also sooooooooo green about your coleus. They don't do well for me. Nights are too cold methinks.

How cold do they get?? Below freezing? I've got so many coleus this year I can hardly walk out on the balcony.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It gets down into the 40s at night in the spring and even in the summer. Coleus hate it. Morning glories hate it. There is alot more that hate it. I'm putting a new big cedar planter box on the deck from hoot that will be right against the house and I"m going to try again. There are some in Cowtown that have luck with coleus if they get the ambient heat from the house.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is an unknown peach that my friend Pam gave me so I call it 'Peach Pam'. The bloom is 6 inches.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Santa Fe, NM

Pretty Peach Pam! Coleus love it here in the summer. I have tried to overwinter some inside but they get too stressed and so do I. There are some plants I haul in but I'd like for there to be fewer!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Daylily Russel Morgan

Thumbnail by greenjay
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

white Casa Blanca lily (in the White Garden!)

Thumbnail by greenjay
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

very luvly greenjay

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Tango Halloween Lily....very fragrant!

Thumbnail by edder
Santa Fe, NM

Beautiful lilies!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Okay, I went to the neighbors' house a few minutes ago and photographed their jackmani growing on a rosebush. Only one rose is blooming. The jackmanii is in its fall bloom period but we had a very hard rain today while I was in Santa Fe and there are jackmanii petals all over the pavement. I can vouch for the fact that both the clematis and the rose bloom -- not sure about whether they bloom at the same time or not, but there are actually 3 rose bushes behind the jackmanii.
The neighbors have family living in England where they claim everyone grows clematis on climbing roses. I have never been to England so I take their word for it.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My humble garden. A volunteer borage. I planted some one year and they have reseeded every year since. Pretty plant. Oil from seed is supposed to be very good for you. I just always let a few grow because they are pretty. I am told the Italians take the blossoms and coat them in batter and fry them -- like tempura. Haven't tried it but how to, some day. No recipe but I could use a tempura recipe. I have taken the flowers and put them in ice cube trays with water to make fancy ice cubes for parties. I mainly just keep them because they are pretty.

And the bees love them!

This message was edited Aug 9, 2008 7:03 PM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful lilies DN, love the tigers, and revclaus, what a balcony, and edder. Where on earth did you find tango halloween. It is lovely!

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

pajaritomt....I've got a source...own and operate a greenhouse, nursery and garden center type business...I like to find things that not everyone has and it's always neat to see and hear the reaction from folks when they see what I have. I have these in the one bed out front of the greenhouse...and, yes, these smell wonderful...which really surprized me...So, next year I suppose it's time to order some of these in for customer sales...also have to work on this with the Globe Master Alliums...folks go crazy over them too...I experimented with amaranthus - Love Lies Bleeding - this year too...really cool flower/plant...have to do more of these and their varieties next season...

Thumbnail by edder
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Edder,
You are so smart to have a greenhouse business. I would love to do that. I strongly recommend that you sell Tango Halloween lilies, but I don't think they need to be grown in a greenhouse even in Montana. Love Lies Bleeding sounds like a great plant to sell. I wouldn't mind having some of those Tango Halloween lilies either.

edder, when are you going to start your internet business??

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

revclaus...been going at it for years...ship stuff all over the country....you can ck out all the info by clicking on my profile name...am a member of Garden Watchdog.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Edder, you appeared on our thread at a good time. We have a Rocky Mt. Forum member in Calgary, Alberta, zone 3. She would love to grow hydrangeas but thought they would not grow in zone 3. Dahlianut will be happy to see that you sell hydrangeas that grow in zone 3. I live in zone 6 ( formerly zone 5) and I would like to get some good hydrangeas as well. I especially like the red and pink ones. I have a beautiful Annabelle blooming right now, but would love to have more. So, Dahlianut take note! Edder's website is :
http://www.circlehgrowers.com/shrubs/hydrangea.htm

Santa Fe, NM

Paja, I just caught up with your clematis/rose photo. Very good. I thought it was an English cottage garden thing! I'm aiming for a sort of cottage garden effect with a semi-tropical ruin atmosphere. And kinda xeric, too! Vernacular Santa Fe, for sure. I'm sick as a dog, now, by the way. My doctor friend looked at me yesterday and said "sinus Infection" and if it isn't better by Monday I should go to my regular doctor and get on antibiotics. Yuck.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am so sorry that you are so sick. There are things worse than antibiotics you know! Like maybe being sick.
Yes, I would say your yard -- and mine are eclectic gardens. My neigbor with the rose&clematis is the one you visited when you came here. She is definitely doing the English Garden theme. And her yard is magnificent.
You and dahlianut got me all excited about day lilies and I now have 7 new ones. plus, I just ordered 5 more from the coop. I definitely am going to have to think hard about where to plant them. But they really are pretty.
I think I figured out what my yellow one is -- it is probably a very old fashioned on named Hyperion. The flowers are huge!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Get better real quick roybird. o droooooooooool edder. I MUST HAVE a halloween tango!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And I probably will need one too. ( or rather several).

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

LOL...tell you what...anyone that wants these tango lilies...let me know via Dmail along with your email and such, and as soon as I have something more concrete in regards to info and such I'll let you know...there's the one known as Halloween which is orange, a red version, white and pink...though I'm kind of partial to the orange one myself...red's probably nice too, but don't have one off hand...guess I'll have to fix that next year...

Ed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.